80 Series vs. 4th Gen 4Runner. Thoughts?

Moody

Needs to get out more
The 4.0 V6 is a wonderful engine. You should buy the one out of my '05 Tacoma and put it in your 80!!! $1k and it's all yours!!!

Was that a shameless plug?
:elkgrin:
If I knew how....maybe. I like to keep the drivetrain as stock as possible.

Why isn't the 100 in serious consideration? It has the extra power, better mileage, updated safety features, more room than an 80 or a 4runner, good aftermarket support for the kind of build you would do, and it is better on the freeway.
Not totally out, but I sort of want to get away from full-time 4wd. Not that I don't like it 90% of the time, I just like the idea of a selectable system.
A little off the path here....

What about a 05' newer 4 door tacoma.....

More room same power....
Strongly considered. There is a really nice completely done 07 4 door taco on Mud I really like. I had to stop looking at it.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
supercharger would be pennies compared to a new truck. (if you want to keep your 80)
Have you done your headgasket?
Even if you did a HG+SC, that would still be pennies compared to a new vehicle, adding +100 hp.

Just something to consider, if you plan to keep the 80 for the long haul.

Willman

supercharger would be pennies compared to a new truck. (if you want to keep your 80)
Even if you did a HG+SC, that would still be pennies compared to a new vehicle, adding +100 hp.

Supercharged 80.....

One of the members here(name not coming to mind) on the board has one on his 80.....either his is not setup right or the setup is still a dog.

Life_in_4Lo

Explorer
maybe it's both?

80's are heavy so the SC will just help a modded 80 keep up. It's only got 212hp stock.
It's a cheap power boost and conservative so reliability has been good w/ them.

If you really want to work the engine, the 80's engine is one of the best to start with--but that's a whole 'nother ballgame.

Moody

Needs to get out more

Good point, it would be cheaper. I drove a friend's 80 with 315's and a SC...felt more powerful than a 100 series.

I have actually considered the SC, I figured cost with install to be about 5k.

HG was done at 65k by the previous owner (I am the 2nd owner).

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
I really like my 4th Gen., and about the only major thing I wish was different is the IFS. Sure, it works okay but I tend to be a slower crawler instead of a high-speed hauler. I would rather have the axle articulation to keep all four tires on the ground, instead of the IFS that likes to lift a tire much more often in technical terrain.

Having said this, the car drives and works so well I'm not even considering a live-axle swap. IFS is here to stay and if you want a new/newer 4x4 that is what most of them will have.

4th Gens & Questions

Though initially against it, I like the AWD. Even the part-time V6 4th Gens are capable of full-time AWD.

I'm sure the V6 is a great engine and I would love to have a new Tacoma with a V6, but I love my 4.7L V8.

A-TRAC and VSC work well most of the time.

The brakes are excellent.

I like the seating position, but it’s more flat/legs forward than the upright/legs bent position of the 80 (from my limited test drive in a friend's 80).

The car is neither small (mini truck) nor large, truly a mid-sized rig inside and out.

Some are not aware that the new Tacomas are a long mid-size; the double-cab short-bed has a 128” wheelbase. For comparison my first diesel pickup in 1993, a regular cab long-bed Dodge, only had a 131” wheelbase.

Your 80 is very nice and I guess the hard questions are:
Do you want to sell it?
How much will you miss it?
Do you want/need a change?

Though you don’t care to have two utility vehicles, might it be safer to buy a 4th Gen before selling the 80 to confirm your preference? Surely a 4Runner is capable of (much?) better MPG, but the difference will be smaller after the 4Runner is modified.

Would you rather have a stock 4Runner with power or add a SC to a mature engine. In theory I’m a SC fan, but in practice I think the simplicity of a stock engine might be better. Gear-it if need be.

Last edited:

AndrewP

Explorer
Do you really want to sell one of the iconic, all time best trucks ever, for a 4Runner?

If you want a 4Runner, buy it. It's a great SUV. But an 80 is the real deal, never to be duplicated, package of luxury SUV, SFA, Full Float rear axle, fully linked suspension, heavy duty transportation that basically, you can't buy anymore, at any price. They aren't going to make any more, and neither is anyone else. Not that you can buy, anyway.

A 4Runner is a great truck. It's comfy, reliable, decent, mass produced etc, but it will never be a Land Cruiser. It will never make economic sense to make this trade, and you'll be trading for something that is nice, perfectly adequate, but inferior. And you already own the 80! Don't do it.

The 80 isn't even my favorite Land Cruiser, and still, you shouldn't do it. It's like trading a Ferrari California Spyder for a 2006 Corvette.

24HOURSOFNEVADA

Expedition Leader
I don't think you need to compare the abilities of the two platforms as much as the differences in styles of the two platforms. They are pretty closely matched in terms of wheelbase, width, length and even weight when they are built up. Redline and I both weighed our vehicles before we left for the 2007 ExPo Trophy. Fully loaded and built they were very close in weight. The actual difference escapes me as I type, but it was surprisingly close. For all of their similarities they're just different vehicles.

Redline has one of, if not the nicest 4th Gen Runner around. We've traveled extensively together and not once has his Runner been at a disadvantage or did my 80 clearly have the upper hand. In fact, many times his Runner has been well ahead of my 80. Especially when it counts, such as the 2009 NV Trophy.

Andrew hit all the reasons people buy 80's, probably the same reasons you bought yours, they're iconic tanks. Clean, well tuned 80's are just cool. They're probably one of the truest overland expedition vehicles ever imported into this country. Everything is heavy duty and meant to be rebuilt and abused including the door locks and window switches.

Regarding Supercharging your 80. I owned and sold a Supercharged 80. First let me say I searched and could not find the year of your 80 series. If it's not an OBDII motor don't supercharge it. DON'T DO IT. Toyota did not design that motor to be blown and it will detonate itself to death. Even Cdan has added water/methanol injection to his to prevent detonation...Why? because it needed it. Water/Meth is a band aid on a system that was not meant to be paired together in this case. I had my motor rebuilt specifically to handle the S/C. I ended up removing the S/C and selling it separately.

If Nick is referring to my previous ride, it was set up the first time by a Toyota dealership and the second time by someone who is widely regarded as one of the best Land Cruiser mechanics around. The system is just not meant to be on a pre-OBDII motor.

If yours is OBDII, then your golden...If there are any kits left.

After selling my 80, I still get the 80's bug, but I really like my 100. The 80 rode better off road, hands down. The 80 "Felt" a little more hardcore in terms of construction vs. my 100 or my s/o's 07 4 Runner (But we all know how rough those Nordstrom parking lots are).

That Tacoma you were looking at on Mud has a lot going for it. As I said on Mud, add a FWC or an AT Flippac and your set. You can't do that with a Cruiser or a Runner.

AlexJet

Explorer
You can build 4th Gen to a very capable machine:

Mine 2 years ago:

View1.jpg

View8.jpg

This winter with my wife's 3rd Gen:

ARBBumpers1.jpg

ARBBumpers3.jpg

CBIBumpers4.jpg

CBIBumpers6.jpg

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
AlexJet,

You have a Very Nice 4th Gen. Though I think Moody would be looking to do a much milder build than either of our 4Runners.

Something like OME suspension (works great, less filling) 265-255 tires, front bumper... Keeping the cost, weight, and height down.

durango_60

Explorer
Supercharged 80.....

One of the members here(name not coming to mind) on the board has one on his 80.....either his is not setup right or the setup is still a dog.

I had a SC on my 80 and it was a beast!! A beast that I never truly trusted but a beast none the less. If I had installed it as opposed to the previous owner I'm sure I would have been more comfortable. In retrospect I should have gotten comfortable with it as I saw it driving around town yesterday and it looked great 3 years after I sold it with 230k on the clock...

Moody

Needs to get out more
If you don't mind me asking, why the aversion to the full time 4wd?
Not 100% against it, I just like the simplicity (more so than that of a full-time rig) of a part-time system.

Your 80 is very nice and I guess the hard questions are:
Do you want to sell it?
How much will you miss it?
Do you want/need a change?

Though you don’t care to have two utility vehicles, might it be safer to buy a 4th Gen before selling the 80 to confirm your preference? Surely a 4Runner is capable of (much?) better MPG, but the difference will be smaller after the 4Runner is modified.
Excellent points to be considered. We actually put Hilary's IS up for sale this last week. I think we may just go the dual suv route again. Having two children and an on-the-go family makes it nice. The IS is super fun, but just too darned small for a family of 4.
I don't want or need to sell it. I'd like to pick up a 3rd vehicle for DD duties, and keep the 80 for my trips, but I find it difficult to justify the additional costs of not only the vehicle, but insurance, maintenance, etc.
Do you really want to sell one of the iconic, all time best trucks ever, for a 4Runner?

If you want a 4Runner, buy it. It's a great SUV. But an 80 is the real deal, never to be duplicated, package of luxury SUV, SFA, Full Float rear axle, fully linked suspension, heavy duty transportation that basically, you can't buy anymore, at any price. They aren't going to make any more, and neither is anyone else. Not that you can buy, anyway.

A 4Runner is a great truck. It's comfy, reliable, decent, mass produced etc, but it will never be a Land Cruiser. It will never make economic sense to make this trade, and you'll be trading for something that is nice, perfectly adequate, but inferior. And you already own the 80! Don't do it.

The 80 isn't even my favorite Land Cruiser, and still, you shouldn't do it. It's like trading a Ferrari California Spyder for a 2006 Corvette.
Great points. I actually have my very first problem with it that I have had since I bought it- and oil seal on the crank is leaking. Very little, but I am having it replaced anyway, along with all of the other seals up front. Sure speaks loudly to the reliability of the truck, even as it approaches 180k.

I don't think you need to compare the abilities of the two platforms as much as the differences in styles of the two platforms. They are pretty closely matched in terms of wheelbase, width, length and even weight when they are built up. Redline and I both weighed our vehicles before we left for the 2007 ExPo Trophy. Fully loaded and built they were very close in weight. The actual difference escapes me as I type, but it was surprisingly close. For all of their similarities they're just different vehicles.

Redline has one of, if not the nicest 4th Gen Runner around. We've traveled extensively together and not once has his Runner been at a disadvantage or did my 80 clearly have the upper hand. In fact, many times his Runner has been well ahead of my 80. Especially when it counts, such as the 2009 NV Trophy.

Andrew hit all the reasons people buy 80's, probably the same reasons you bought yours, they're iconic tanks. Clean, well tuned 80's are just cool. They're probably one of the truest overland expedition vehicles ever imported into this country. Everything is heavy duty and meant to be rebuilt and abused including the door locks and window switches.

Regarding Supercharging your 80. I owned and sold a Supercharged 80. First let me say I searched and could not find the year of your 80 series.

That Tacoma you were looking at on Mud has a lot going for it. As I said on Mud, add a FWC or an AT Flippac and your set. You can't do that with a Cruiser or a Runner.
Great points there. My 80 is a 1997 so it is OBD II. I have strongly considered a FWC but decided against it, for now. I figure I have a few more years of 'roughing it' before I take that step.
That Tacoma still excites me. I have had to stop looking at it.

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
I came to somewhat of the same crossroads last year. I have a well built 80 which I love and it has not let me down. Does it have issue, of course what vehicle doesn't. When we sold our Subaru Outback due to having our second child and needing more room I started looking at the 4th generation 4runners first being a Toyota guy. Well we compared them with the X-Terra Offroad model and with all the discounts came away with a well equipped X-Terra which now pulls our camp trailer very well and also handles very well offroad right out of the box.

So I guess I am saying KEEP the 80 and don't shy away from having 2 SUV's, you can have your cake and eat it too!

Cheers

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
2 SUVs ☺

If the 4Runner remains stock and is driven very carefully, it does have good fuel economy potential with the 3.73 gears. You just need to be careful with the throttle.

Even modified I could obtain some very good freeway MPG with the stock 3.73 gears. Adding 4.88s reduced my MPG but the performance was worth if for me (though maybe not you?).

I really like the safety/traction features on a stock condition the 4th Gen, should be great fro your family. Now is likely a great time to be buying one with the current Toyota-scare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues