'89 GMC Suburban restoration/build up project.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Update time.
Adapter is done, I'll be building cross members this weekend.
e6a8e5ud.jpg

Gauges, trans controller and ECM mount all showed up. I think I have the cd air intake routed the way I want. I'm sure it'll change a few more times, eventually a snorkel of some kind I imagine. Wiring will begin this weekend, gotta hook the new gauges up to the engine harness, route the harness for the TCU and eliminate some unused wiring under the dash.
8upu7y4y.jpg

ne6ytuju.jpg

syda7amy.jpg

Also installed my slip yoke eliminator kit on my NP241.
me8e4ahe.jpg

dieselfuel

Adventurer
I got my new hood primed, I'll bolt that on tomorrow.

I went to a junkyard for some tranny cooler lines, there was one truck in the whole yard with the right 4l80e in it, so I got my lines.

I ran my transmission, engine and steering, cooler hoses today as well. Tomorrow I'll get fuel lines handled.
ezanevuq.jpg

I also bought clamps for the intake. Eventually I'll build a wall of some kind around the filter. Maybe someday a snorkel.
qumasa6a.jpg

e4aseges.jpg

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Really nice looking conversion Dieasel! I like the look of your spring hardware and installation. Wicked looking crossmember and trans mounts too. The build looks very profesionally done. Keep up the good work. Love the updates with pics. It makes me feel like I am there with you as you progress along with the build. Cheers, Chilli...:)

bowstryder

Observer
what did you use to coat your d60 after you cleaned it up? Also is that paint or powder coat on the steering and suspension parts? Going to turn out very nicely when it's "done!"

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Really nice looking conversion Dieasel! I like the look of your spring hardware and installation. Wicked looking crossmember and trans mounts too. The build looks very profesionally done. Keep up the good work. Love the updates with pics. It makes me feel like I am there with you as you progress along with the build. Cheers, Chilli...:)

Thanks! I'm trying to take my time and do things right. I want everything I put into the truck to be an improvement over stock but still simple and reliable.

what did you use to coat your d60 after you cleaned it up? Also is that paint or powder coat on the steering and suspension parts? Going to turn out very nicely when it's "done!"

I sprayed it with matte black rustoleum paint. All the gray parts are just painted, I found the color at Lowe's. I love primer gray and this is basically a gloss version of that. I'm debating doing the bumpers and sliders with it as well, when I get to that point.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
I finished up the fuel lines today. From the filter up to the engine, about 8', I ran nylon line with a female quick connect fitting at the fuel rail and a nylon to steel coupler to have a male fitting for the filter end. It doesn't look as cool as AN fittings and braided line, but the fuel inside doesn't care.
rypady9e.jpg

ytyde4yh.jpg

bynypeve.jpg

I also replaced the rear output seal and got the adapter and case installed. I found out that I made a mistake when building the adapter. The crossmember mount is too close to the trans side and doesn't allow you to install bolts. So I'll probably have to remove it and put studs in those two holes. The t-case side just barely
e2unege4.jpg

ta7ahypy.jpg

u7y4abeh.jpg

Maybe next weekend I'll cut up come cross members...

Awesome build Diesel! I like it. I wish my 2wd burb was as rust free is this one... I can only hope to find a 4x4 model this clean when the time comes for that. Keep the updates comin! Also its kinda neat to know that I'm not the only one with plans of machining hubs to get the rear end setup that I want:ylsmoke:

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Keep the updates comin! Also its kinda neat to know that I'm not the only one with plans of machining hubs to get the rear end setup that I want:ylsmoke:

Actually those were my front hubs, the rear is a stock truck width 14bolt ff.

I made some decent progress last weekend. I bought some H2 wheels, ditched the body lift, installed heater hoses, rearranged the cold air intake, installed the rear upper shock mount and built the first cross member.
ymetyry9.jpg

a8yba3e3.jpg

2" lower than it used to be.
3etu3a5e.jpg

ypu5abe3.jpg

3udahe5u.jpg

Last edited:

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Time for the next round of updates. I bought some 4.5" shackles and a bunch of gussets from DIY4X to replace the 6" shackles on the front end. Got the shackles installed and replaced the last of the suspension hardware one day after work this week. Looks like I'm going to need longer bolts, I'll get to that in time.
ura4a2ud.jpg

Final ride height, 5" of lift.
pa9a4ymy.jpg

One day I'll have for new springs under this truck. All the new parts makes me hate my stiff, old front springs and the rears have sagged unevenly.

I also built another crossmember.
za2u3uqy.jpg

I made the decision to just buy a whole new body/chassis harness rather than rework the old one. It's going to push back my completion date but it'll be worth it in the end.

This morning I ordered lug nuts for my new wheels and welded up all the gussets for my crossmembers. They're all welded up, waiting for paint to dry.
ujysujut.jpg

BBslider001

Diesel Head
Nice work! Looks clean. What kind of fitting did you use on the fuel line stuff? It looks like a compression fitting on the rubber hose? I did not know that would work. I am asking because I am getting ready to add an aftermarket filter on my diesel and have been toying with different ideas on how to connect the existing fuel line to the new filter set up. Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven