'89 GMC Suburban restoration/build up project.

Renntag

Adventurer
That is odd. My stock exhaust exits on the driver's side.
Either way, I am sure it will sound great.

cyclic

Adventurer
Just cut that tip off, weld on a 90 and point it straight out the side under the spare wheel well. That's actually how the factory runs it anyway. I had to extend mine about 6 inches right before the outward bend to clear my shackle flip.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Just cut that tip off, weld on a 90 and point it straight out the side under the spare wheel well. That's actually how the factory runs it anyway. I had to extend mine about 6 inches right before the outward bend to clear my shackle flip.

Nah, I'm going to keep it straight out the back and go through the bumper with it, that'll keep it from getting dragged or smashed.

We towed her to the driveline shop today, she should be drive able tomorrow!!
5yqahaza.jpg

yqumupyq.jpg

dieselfuel

Adventurer
she drove home, it felt amazing to drive her! the drivelines looks awesome, 1350 from nose to tail, front CV, non CV rear. the front clears the crossmember just fine, i doubt it'll ever hit. they told me that on the rack with the axles drooped out it still clears.

i knew there would be bugs to work out, and she drove 3mi before two of them made themselves known. the trans is in limp mode, 2nd and reverse only. the trans fluid sensor is bad, $25 part, should be no big deal.
the pass front hub also has an issue, we didn't machine enough off the new wheel mount surface and the wheel doesn't sit flat against the hub. i can probably get in there with a grinder to make it sit flush. the other problem is that we didn't take the body of the hub down enough and my H2 wheels don't even fit over them. :doah: so i'm on the lookout for a set of SRW hubs. if anyone knows of a set, let me know, otherwise i'll get new ones.

even with the problems that came up today, i'm not even mad! Dasiy drives!
E415EF78-E8F5-498A-878D-C8B1448B2103_zps48h79vuq.jpg

137549C1-CE0F-4125-BA0D-FAA2C9E96886_zpsoerhtffs.jpg

AF69A0E7-1104-4E80-9286-98855861CC25_zpsx1qbqraq.jpg

785DC69D-86AA-4E1E-A6DF-B8DD5D391361_zpszjyzcicb.jpg

dieselfuel

Adventurer
The hub and the trans controller are both solved. The hubs still need to be cut down a little more to fit my H2 wheels but it's drive able. The trans controller was a simple fix. I replaced the TFT sensor/harness but As it turns out I didn't actually have to. The main plug for the trans was plugged in upside down. It plugs in both ways but has an arrow that needs to be on top when plugged in. I never noticed it and had it wrong. Flipped it over and the fault code is gone, all 4 gears are functional. Driving this truck is the best feeling I've experienced in a long time. A little nerve racking but overall, an awesome feeling. I find myself obsessing over every sound/smell, I'm sure that'll wear off.

Everything looks clean
a9azyruq.jpg

New harness/sensor
ybe2y3up.jpg

Installed correctly
9e8umypu.jpg

No more fault codes
a7ute3up.jpg

Hell, I even enjoyed this part.
ubaqa6ag.jpg

Renntag

Adventurer
Whoa. Did a double take. The sanded white appearance of your burb looks just like mine.

Lookin good !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Whoa. Did a double take. The sanded white appearance of your burb looks just like mine.

Lookin good !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

i've got a lot of body work to do still, one day she'll get a fresh coat of white paint, maybe even redo the original blue stripe.

dieselfuel

Adventurer
Over the weekend we got the shock mounts done and changed the fuel tank sending unit.

Building my own shock mounts was cool, I drew them up, cut em and helped weld them in. My brother did the bulk of the welding as he's much batter than I am and I figured welding on the frame was fairly critical.
a5ysa8eb.jpg

yduva2e7.jpg

6y5ava5e.jpg

qyne3umy.jpg

8y7uqu5e.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven

Members online