96 Discovery I - Let The Money Flow!

As a matter of introduction, my wife and I bought a '96 Disco I last week... and we have already spent more than double the purchase price on... things... not the least of which was a $93 tail light bulb holder (don't ask, it is a long story).... The balance of the mechanicals checked out nicely...

BUT, it is coming along... reshod with BFGs.... ARB parts on order.. BajaRack coming along this week...

This is just the start... we took it out on the road from Rio Rico, AZ to Arivaca, AZ yesterday to see how it was different than the Jeep we were used to driving... it was like driving a sofa!

So, I wanted to start this build thread with the "before"... in this case a shot of the Disco on top of a small ridge in the Coronado National Forest, along the Mexican Border....

Let the money flow!!!!

4433818905_d87d5372bb_b.jpg

Best viewed as large as possible:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2706/4433818905_e8012bcd41_o.jpg

110user

Observer
Alright! Let the money flow!

There is good used parts support on dweb for your future needs. Will Tillery can get you most any part you need.

What are you plans?

haven

Expedition Leader
If that image is not a Photoshop creation, we need to alert
the authorities to be on the lookout for a Land Rover with
a distinct blue glow! Cue the X-Files theme!

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
speaking of money, may I ask how much was the BajaRack for the Discovery?

Is the rack the same for Discovery I and II?

Alright! Let the money flow!

There is good used parts support on dweb for your future needs. Will Tillery can get you most any part you need.

What is his web site?

What are you plans?

I am not sure at this point. We know that we are going to build out a sleeping platform in the back - minus seats. My wife is definately a trooper, but the one thing she doesn't like to do is sleep on the ground in the desert. We thought about the RTT, but it would be difficult to carry that and our two kayaks... and a trailer isn't really an option.. as I really don't want to go anywhere that "heavy". We are used to travleing in a Wrangler, so this is already more space than we have EVER had.

The way I look at it, the Jeep and the Disco are for two distinct purposes. I can/will go places in the Jeep that I wouldn't go in the LR. The LR is more for "expeditionary" travel, which gets too crowded in a Jeep.

The LR is also...lockable. This will facilitate our trips to Sonora and Baja much better (although the only place I have ever had a vehicle broken into was in Everett, Washington...gotta hate those border towns)

I am starting with the usuals, ARB Bull Bars and a BajaRack. I am going to have the steering looked at by FalconWorks in Tucson tomorrow... there is a bit of slop in the wheel.. perhaps busings, perhaps....more...

If that image is not a Photoshop creation, we need to alert the authorities to be on the lookout for a Land Rover with
a distinct blue glow!

I should probably have that looked at... actually, yes, I was a little heavy handed with the Photoshop on this one...

I have to say, I am looking forward to meeting you folks. For years, my wife and I must have just passed you without knowing it... not sure how. I really only found this place while researching LR stuff... there are so many other "Jeep related forums" that specialize in mudding and rock crawling... neither of which I could give a crap about... so I had pretty much given up hope that there were kindred spirits out there.

You were all just hiding here... in plain sight....

Congrats on the nice truck. Will we see you at the Overland Expo?

I am planning on it! My wife already told me that I could not buy a Sportsmobile... Of course, before all is said-and-done, we will probably put that much into the Discovery... okay, maybe not THAT much...

...but yes, you bet I will be there! You are doing it in Amado? My father-in-law lives in Green Valley, and we have been here for the past 2 weeks helping him after a surgery.... GV will drive you to drink... so my wife and I have been making daily getaways down toward Pena Blanca and Arivaca (hence the picture above) for a change of scenery.

I can volunteer as a guide to the steak houses of southern Arizona!

RoverDude

Explorer
Congrats on the new Rover acquisition. I carry a full inventory of Discovery I parts, am a member of this forum (as well as others) and frequent Baja Mexico. Let me know if you ever need parts or advice.
Thanks, RoverDude
roverdudeATsbcglobalDOTnet

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Congrats on your new rig. When you buy a land rover, you have to learn how to be a mechanic or pay for it. When you buy a Land Cruiser, you just plain have a lot of fun!

Scott Brady

Founder
Congrats on your new rig. When you buy a land rover, you have to learn how to be a mechanic or pay for it. When you buy a Land Cruiser, you just plain have a lot of fun!

Interesting comment from the guy who had to swap a transmission in Utah on his Land Cruiser :p

We remember these things - you know. . .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3