98 4Runner - Dirt Duster Build

t4rman

Adventurer
Thanks a lot! It's always nice to see other appreciate the effort that has went into my old Toy.

I've got a question for you... I was just looking at your build over on 120, great 4th gen, they sure are growing on me. Your build is very functional and I like how clean you've kept it. I'm about to order a Hanma lightbar but am worried about glare off of the hood. You said you had the combo pattern? Did you get the BC series Hanma bar with the Cree LED's or did you get the regular B-series with the Epistar LED's? thanks

I would rather see an older truck that is tastefully modified, like yours, than a new truck that is shredded.

PM replied. Thanks man!

rickashay

Explorer
Truck is officially for sale. Any Canadians out there who may be interested, please shoot me a PM for details!

rickashay

Explorer
Wow what prompted that? This was always one of my favorite 4Runners.

Kind of came out of the blue a month ago. Found myself considering what mods I was going to do next and if I was going to step into 35's. Ultimately it came down to the fact that I am on the verge of out-growing this rig size-wize right now. I'm a super big dude (6'6" - 250lbs) and I always just want more space. I know that if I keep building the 4Runner, the overall size of it will never change, and I will always have something else turning in the back of my head. I've been considering making the move to an 80 and an offer for a LX450 fell in my lap out of nowhere, and the timing kind of worked out perfectly. As soon as the 4Runner sells, I'm buying my friends LX450 (he's actually holding it for me while I sell the 4Runner). I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE my 4Runner and if I was smaller (or the truck larger) I would not even consider selling it. I actually had the 4Runner in a car show last week and won "Best 4x4 in Show", which was really cool! The 4Runner turns heads everywhere I take it, and I never get tired of looking at it or exploring with it - however the 80 series will allow me some more comfort, room for bigger tires, and realistically a bigger family sometime in the next 5 years.....

It will be sad to see it go but I'm looking forward to the next project. Thanks for the compliment! It would be great to see it go to a good home in the 4x4 community somewhere!

Car show:

20120510-IMG_1421.jpg by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Loubaru

Adventurer
Grr...wish you would have had this for sale a couple weeks ago, I'd be all over it.

I have a question for you about your tires. I bought a 4runner a couple weeks ago that already has a toytec ultimate lift installed (i think its 2.5'ish in the front and 3'ish in the rear, also has the dif drop) but it still has factory sized tires on it. The last week I've been researching tires and can't figure out if I want 265s, 285s, or some tall skinny ones (I think its 235/80). I'm honestly leaning towards the 265s or maybe the skinny tires just because I don't plan on wheeling the truck much, just plan on using it for exploring and camping. How much of a mpg hit did you take when going from 265s to 285s? Also, how noticeable was the breaking/acceleration difference? I will be sticking with ATs.

Also, my 4running doesn't have the panhard bar drop and it pulls a little to one direction. I haven't brought it in to get aligned yet but I was wondering if the panhard bar angle being messed up could cause this? Thanks

rickashay

Explorer
Grr...wish you would have had this for sale a couple weeks ago, I'd be all over it.

I have a question for you about your tires. I bought a 4runner a couple weeks ago that already has a toytec ultimate lift installed (i think its 2.5'ish in the front and 3'ish in the rear, also has the dif drop) but it still has factory sized tires on it. The last week I've been researching tires and can't figure out if I want 265s, 285s, or some tall skinny ones (I think its 235/80). I'm honestly leaning towards the 265s or maybe the skinny tires just because I don't plan on wheeling the truck much, just plan on using it for exploring and camping. How much of a mpg hit did you take when going from 265s to 285s? Also, how noticeable was the breaking/acceleration difference? I will be sticking with ATs.

Also, my 4running doesn't have the panhard bar drop and it pulls a little to one direction. I haven't brought it in to get aligned yet but I was wondering if the panhard bar angle being messed up could cause this? Thanks

I did notice a MPG hit when I went to 33's as well as some "seat of your pants" power loss. If you don't wheel that much I would honestly stick to the 265/75/16's. I ran those first and did 90% of the terrain I do now on 33's. If you ever get tired of the "smaller" tires just bump up to 33's on your next set.

The panhard "alterations" - whether is be an extended bar or the panhard drop, are debatable. IMO the drop is the only thing that makes sense to correct the issue. The flatter that panhard bar is, the less the rear end will walk out sideways under compression. The extended panhard bars just increase the radius of the suspension arc, but the axle is still going to move as the suspension follows along that arc. I would recommend the panhard drop, but don't just bolt it in, have it welded and even gusseted if your able.

GL and enjoy your 3rd gen, they are great vehicles!

TrailLite

Noticed you were selling or have sold the 3rd gen. Do you still build and sell those lights? Is there a build thread for your LX450?

rickashay

Explorer

JasonRedwood

Explorer
Curious how you sat in the driver seat being 6'6". I'm only 6' and get annoyed by my hair touching everyonce in a while on the sunroof rim/buldge thing. I'm assuming you didn't have a sunroof?

89s rule

Adventurer
Curious how you sat in the driver seat being 6'6". I'm only 6' and get annoyed by my hair touching everyonce in a while on the sunroof rim/buldge thing. I'm assuming you didn't have a sunroof?

If you lean your seat back a little it is not as bad, I can relate if you are leaning forward over the steering wheel on a technical section. We have a sunroof and 90% o the time it is not a problem for me at 6'. I would guess that at 6'6" if he did not have issues he has long legs. :)

rickashay

Explorer
If you lean your seat back a little it is not as bad, I can relate if you are leaning forward over the steering wheel on a technical section. We have a sunroof and 90% o the time it is not a problem for me at 6'. I would guess that at 6'6" if he did not have issues he has long legs. :)

Hahah yah I didnt have the sunroof. I have driven quite a few 3rd gens with the sunroof and even with my gangster lean on, my head skims the roof edge around the sunroof glass. I bet my 4Runner had a solid 3" more headroom vs. sunroof models.

where the ************* hell can i get headlights like those for my 98'

hello, i am about to kill myself because i have been looking everywhere for some headlights for my 98' runner , and cant seem to find any like the ones you have on , please help me out!! where can i buy themm?????? :eek::eek::eek::REExeSwimmingHL:

^Still jealous of your S/C Dave!

I've got a lot of updating to do here....

Finally finished my personal headlights:
OEM Lexus LS460 Bi-Xenon projectors
99+ clear 4Runner hoursings
Morimoto 3Five ballasts
Philips 81522+ 4300K bulbs
HD Morimoto relay harness
Morimoto xB LED amber turn signals

20121111-IMG_3243 by RickaShay24, on Flickr

The turn signals:

20121111-IMG_3253 by RickaShay24, on Flickr

The result of one of the widest projector beams on the planet - incredible light output:

20121112-IMG_3272 by RickaShay24, on Flickr

20121112-IMG_3289 by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Also traded a set of projector headlights I built for Josh Whitson (owns Whitson Metalworks) for one of his full length roof racks:

20121130-IMG_3369 by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Very low profile, similar to a Gobi:

20121130-IMG_3375 by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Got out in the snow a little to play today!

20121201-IMG_3432 by RickaShay24, on Flickr

20121201-IMG_3436 by RickaShay24, on Flickr

Stuck in the ice/snow/mud:

20121201-IMG_3446 by RickaShay24, on Flickr

20121201-IMG_3443 by RickaShay24, on Flickr

rickashay

Explorer
Holy bump for an old thread! haha

I sent you a PM also but the lights pictured are custom made. I used LS460 bi-xenon projectors retrofitted into the factory housings. It was a lot of work but there are definitely more simple options in the retrofit world. Check out www.theretrfitsource.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77