99' XJ: Slowly Going Down Under.

Morticon

Adventurer
Question on your aux IPF lights. How and what did you mount them too. Also, why round? What you found? I always though sqaure lights would look better or rectangular I guess. To match the headlights

MCObray

Explorer
Question on your aux IPF lights. How and what did you mount them too. Also, why round? What you found? I always though sqaure lights would look better or rectangular I guess. To match the headlights

IPF 968CSG. The aux. lights are mounted to the stock bumper. A hole was simply drilled and the mounting hardware that came with the lights, were used. I went with round because I didn't like the idea of rectangular aux lights, with the square driving lights. I like round to simply break it up. In all honestly though, I think it would like find circle or rectangular.

Morticon

Adventurer
Yup. I was just wondering. Ill end up going with whatever is on sale! Haha. Something I found interesting was the detours backbone system for the xj. Allows you to mount a winch, lights and recovery points all while using the stock bumper. You should check it out.

MCObray

Explorer
Yup. I was just wondering. Ill end up going with whatever is on sale! Haha. Something I found interesting was the detours backbone system for the xj. Allows you to mount a winch, lights and recovery points all while using the stock bumper. You should check it out.

You think just like me, but I did end up receiving these as a gift so it was that much sweeter. I've seen that rear bumper and it is quite interesting, as well as being functional with the stock bumper. I'm leaning towards going with a full replacement though, that wraps arounds and possibly does a cut in fold in the rear. Something along the lines of Rock Hard 4x4 or DirtBound Offroad.

Attachments

• F12140-1.jpg
    F12140-1.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 576487_420476251334592_756533178_n.jpg
    576487_420476251334592_756533178_n.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Oh man thats a bummer about all the rain. How are people with Prius's and Smartcars going to get to Starbucks?!?!

88Xj

Banned
Oh man thats a bummer about all the rain. How are people with Prius's and Smartcars going to get to Starbucks?!?!

exactly why I could not personally drive a "car". Has to be some for of lifted/mildly lifted suv or truck.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
I've always been in the understanding that if you can rebuild your brakes, you can do anything on your vehicle.

Did you invest in a drum brake tool? That was a couple bucks well spent the first time I did them. I came up with a mod for mine that made the job a lot easier too. At the end of one handle it had a thing that you were supposed to hook the big main springs (towards the top of the assembly) onto and then twist it around onto the big stud. That was the hardest part, I couldn't get that to work for the life of me. So I just cut that part off of the tool and ground it down to a dull point. I put the hook on the end of the spring onto the handle, then the point onto the stud and used that as leverage to pull the hook up until it slid down onto the stud. Worked perfect!

MCObray

Explorer
I've always been in the understanding that if you can rebuild your brakes, you can do anything on your vehicle.

Did you invest in a drum brake tool? That was a couple bucks well spent the first time I did them. I came up with a mod for mine that made the job a lot easier too. At the end of one handle it had a thing that you were supposed to hook the big main springs (towards the top of the assembly) onto and then twist it around onto the big stud. That was the hardest part, I couldn't get that to work for the life of me. So I just cut that part off of the tool and ground it down to a dull point. I put the hook on the end of the spring onto the handle, then the point onto the stud and used that as leverage to pull the hook up until it slid down onto the stud. Worked perfect!

This was my first time doing brakes. I took my Jeep over to my Grandpa's shop, where luckily we had a fire stove and dry ground, and did my work their. It was quite the experience and I know have a good understanding why people end up converting from Drum to Discs... lol.

On another note, my Grandpa already had one of these 'drum brake tools'. Everything you just described in bold, is what we used exactly to get those hooks back onto the top stud. At times the rear drums were frustrating, but in reality, this was another great learning experience, especially since I was able to spend some quality time with one of my pops'.

88Xj

Banned
Drums are a wee but hard to work on but I like them better over disks! I drilled a few holes in mine actually. 1 in the backing plate & 4 evenly spaced on the drum itself...helps vent out Hot air & helps drain water.

MCObray

Explorer
Drums are a wee but hard to work on but I like them better over disks! I drilled a few holes in mine actually. 1 in the backing plate & 4 evenly spaced on the drum itself...helps vent out Hot air & helps drain water.

That's actually pretty wise. I might have to apply some of your logic to my drum brakes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach