99' XJ: Slowly Going Down Under.

MCObray

Explorer
An RTT won't help protect you from stray deer on the highway.

...And the list goes on!

Don't get me wrong, RTTs are great, but at this point in time an ARB w/ a Warn Winch will better suit my application for the coming years.

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
An RTT is nice because you just open it up and go to sleep, but once its open you are stuck in that spot unless you fold it back down which is where a regular tent or a trailer comes in handy. But a ground tent is a little more work and its on the ground instead of elevated, a trailer is pricey and might limit where you go and burn more precious gas. The bull bar is a wise choice.

Gaucho919

Adventurer
First I want to say I really like your XJ. That white front end with the black grill is my favorite. I read a few pages back about your future switch to 31's using OME ZJ coils and ACOS spacers, and I think that might be a bit high. I have the OME934 ZJ coils in my MJ with a 2" spacer and clear 33x10.50s. A buddy of mine has the same setup in the front in an XJ and the OME HD leaf pack in the rear and the rear sits lower by about an inch and a half. I'd say if you used the ZJ coils and the XJ OME HD leaf pack it would be just right for 31's. I don't know if you've done this, if you haven't you should, V8 ZJ tie rod. Easy 10 minute upgrade and definitely worth it out on the trail.

I am on a similar boat as you when it comes to the ARB bullbar and the winch, I found a bullbar on CL a few months ago, and I've trying to find a used M8000 to put in it. I will post two pics, one of my MJ on 33x10.50s, and one of my friends XJ on 255/75-17 KM1s(32"), should give you some ideas and motivation towards the bullbar, he decided to be cheap and bought a reproduction bullbar and for some reason it just doesn't look right to me. Maybe when kc0tma gets another XJ we can go do some exploring of the northwest.

DSC_0117.jpg

RichXJ.jpg

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Its gonna be a while before I get another XJ, I'm kind of leaning towards a Rubicon TJ though. First thing is to sell our airstream (park model campers bring a primo in western North Dakota, thats my strategy) and then get a camper van, I wanna sell my Harley soon too but that will probably have to wait until spring. A boat is on my shopping list too. I want lots of toys.

MCObray

Explorer
An RTT is nice because you just open it up and go to sleep, but once its open you are stuck in that spot unless you fold it back down which is where a regular tent or a trailer comes in handy. But a ground tent is a little more work and its on the ground instead of elevated, a trailer is pricey and might limit where you go and burn more precious gas. The bull bar is a wise choice.

I couldn't agree with you more. Well said!

First I want to say I really like your XJ. That white front end with the black grill is my favorite. I read a few pages back about your future switch to 31's using OME ZJ coils and ACOS spacers, and I think that might be a bit high. I have the OME934 ZJ coils in my MJ with a 2" spacer and clear 33x10.50s. A buddy of mine has the same setup in the front in an XJ and the OME HD leaf pack in the rear and the rear sits lower by about an inch and a half. I'd say if you used the ZJ coils and the XJ OME HD leaf pack it would be just right for 31's. I don't know if you've done this, if you haven't you should, V8 ZJ tie rod. Easy 10 minute upgrade and definitely worth it out on the trail.

I am on a similar boat as you when it comes to the ARB bullbar and the winch, I found a bullbar on CL a few months ago, and I've trying to find a used M8000 to put in it. I will post two pics, one of my MJ on 33x10.50s, and one of my friends XJ on 255/75-17 KM1s(32"), should give you some ideas and motivation towards the bullbar, he decided to be cheap and bought a reproduction bullbar and for some reason it just doesn't look right to me. Maybe when kc0tma gets another XJ we can go do some exploring of the northwest.

Thanks! Ah finally, i've been wondering what the set-up would be on an XJ and it is certainly good to know. What does his suspension configuration look like? I wouldn't mind running a 32x10.5 or 33x9.5/10.5, but I want to set it up once, and set it up right. I figure which ever way I bump up, i'll regear since that'll be it's finally resting height.

I am in love with your MJ. That DIY rattle can job looks phenomenal, and the soft topper compliments it as well. The NW has many many places to be seen and sounds like a preliminary plan.

Gaucho919

Adventurer
Thanks man, I set up his entire XJ pretty much. He collected all the parts and waited for me to get out of the Marines. When I got out we started with a 2wd auto, and we swapped a nv3550 in it. He has the same exact suspension components as my MJ, Clayton long arms, Clayton HD adj. trackbar, OME934 coils and 2" poly spacers, V8 ZJ tie rod and sway bar, F-series sway bar links(4" longer)and extended bumpstops. This is my favorite set up. It can make an XJ/MJ ride and respond better than stock on 33's.

MCObray

Explorer
Thanks man, I set up his entire XJ pretty much. He collected all the parts and waited for me to get out of the Marines. When I got out we started with a 2wd auto, and we swapped a nv3550 in it. He has the same exact suspension components as my MJ, Clayton long arms, Clayton HD adj. trackbar, OME934 coils and 2" poly spacers, V8 ZJ tie rod and sway bar, F-series sway bar links(4" longer)and extended bumpstops. This is my favorite set up. It can make an XJ/MJ ride and respond better than stock on 33's.

Very interesting set-up... some quality components there! It's definitely something I am going to keep in mind because I love the stance on the XJ.

Great looking XJ. Keep the updates coming!

Thank you. Hopefully the next updates, that include an item, will be an ARB Bull Bar!

Tofuzeppelin

Think I like your build on here more than jf man. We both have the same taste in XJs when it comes down to mods. How have you been liking the ride of the OME with the new aal?

MCObray

Explorer
Think I like your build on here more than jf man. We both have the same taste in XJs when it comes down to mods. How have you been liking the ride of the OME with the new aal?

Ha, thanks! Yeah JF is more wheeler-based, so I liked to go into more detail on here. Ride has been great with the AAL. It has been just over a year since the AAL has been in and I have no complaints. I didn't notice enough of a difference in the before or after so it's definitely worked out to my advantage.

MCObray

Explorer
I have began to ponder the thought of a trip next summer. Anzo-Borrego? Death Valley? Yosemite? I definitely would like to get out and see more of the West Coast, also while paying visits to my whole family who live in both NorCal/SoCal.

'99 Jeep XJ by Obray Optics, on Flickr

Last edited:

MCObray

Explorer
You take some great photos my friend!

Hey hey, thanks! I just recently purchased my first DSLR two months back... it's quite fun. I figured it would be a wise idea to get a good, quality camera to capture the places I go, and many thing I will see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach