A camper worth waiting for

It is a big place indeed! It's just the equipment that I've bought, and it's headed to my folk's place for now. It came from just outside Winton, about 1000km from their place... Just around the corner!

Bris31

Adventurer
Well so much for 'A camper worth waiting for'...
View attachment 486329
View attachment 486328
2010 FG84D MWB 140000km. Bullbar, winch (only 9500lbs), UHF, upgraded heavy duty radiator, loads of spare filters, belts, water pump etc. It was an opportunity I couldn't pass up at A$27,000. I just came across it on TruckSales but as it turned out he was a friend of a friend, small world. Almost all highway miles as he was a landscaping contractor for an energy company and also for Telecom. It's all well looked after and in great condition with no rust at all.
I can't wait to get started.

Congratulations!! Looks like a very good piece and at a very good price.
Away you go, sure you would have a solid rig to your liking.
Cheers

This turned out to be longer than I expected, but sitting out here on the front veranda in the morning breeze, I got a little carried away (“puts rose tinted spectacles back in pocket”).

Since my last post we rounded off our European travels (for now) with a trip through Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Finland, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland. The motorhome was fine for the most part, but on the rural gravel roads of the Baltic countries (or any wet grass) it really struggled. It was about time for a Canter…

map.jpg

We spent the next month or so getting Audrey our Dachshund ready to travel to Australia and trying to sell the motorhome (with great difficulty as we’d now done over 50000 miles in two years). We were plagued with issues in that last month, ending up with no hot water due to a faulty boiler. This made it no easier to sell and it nearly all fell through with two days until we flew out. It left a very bitter taste in our mouths of a motorhome that had, for the most part, given us so many great experiences throughout Europe.

DSC_9516-LR.jpg

We flew into Melbourne, so while I was there, I went and visited Alan at Outback Accessories and picked up a set of his sand tracks as well as his front LSD. After we’d received Audrey from quarantine, we spent the next month driving up the east coast of Australia, visiting lots of friends and family that we’d not seen for the years we’ve been away. Also picked up a little bike for $700 that we can potentially mount on the back for our local travels (it just fits with the 60% ADR overhang).

20191009_102214-LR.jpg

I also took the opportunity to visit a few trucks along the way, to pick brains and garner ideas. Lots of great rigs out there, setting the bar very high. Upon making it to the Sunshine Coast, I stopped in to Vanglass and ATW for a general chat, and finally to AAV to pick up the Super Singles fitted with Radar RTs. A few days later, we finally made it out to the property where the truck was waiting patiently for us.

DSC_2615-LR.jpg

And what a truck it is. I couldn’t be happier with my remote, unseen purchase. The old batteries had gone flat from disuse and age, so I fitted in the two tiny (in physical size, they're 720CCA each) Century NS70XMF that I’d picked up from a wholesaler outside Sydney and it fired up as if it had been running yesterday.

For the next two weeks or so, I cleaned out the shed and set up all the workshop equipment that I’d bought last year. Another awesome, unseen purchase. Everything is in fantastic condition, and the extra materials and componentry that came with it have already come in handy time and time again.

20191108_115938-LR.jpg

During this time, we left the Canter in its standard form and drove it around on the property to see what it was like and how much we might have to change. After all the negative comments we’ve read over the years about the ride, we were pleasantly surprised. The capability was also very impressive, but within 5 minutes of testing out the 4wd system, we had a rock stuck between the duals.

20191102_100322-LR.jpg

Once I was happy with the workshop, it was time to finally get stuck into the truck. The first step was to remove the old tray. We managed this by getting two front-end-loaders, one at the front with an endless chain hooked up to the forks, and one at the back lifting directly, raising the bed enough to clear the mudguards, and driving the truck out from underneath it. The system worked perfectly considering the size and weight of the very wide, stepped, steel tray. Removing the tray only confirmed just how clean this truck is, not a hint of rust to be seen.

bed-LR.jpg

The next morning saw the Super Singles fitted. The front step was ‘adjusted’ with the help of a New Holland crowd ram and the new flares bolted on without an issue.

20191110_151421-LR.jpg

We took it for a little drive on the property again (with 18psi in the rear tyres) and were amazed at the improvement in the ride on the rough gravel road, even with a bare chassis behind us!

20191117_175307-LR.jpg

This week has seen me start properly on the design work, now that I have a truck in front of me. Recent purchases (not yet fitted) include a Victron Multiplus 12/3000, Hummingbird Speedo Recalibrater, Autostrada Cruise Control, Iveco Eurocargo 200L square diesel tank, Webasto Thermo Top C, Isotemp 30L Calorifier, Philips AirFryer (which works exceptionally well and is very efficient), plus a couple of HAM radios…

Let it begin.

I will probably put the majority of my updates on Instagram @expedition.cerberus if anyone was still interested after all that waffle...

Let there be CRUISE.

20200104_110426.jpg20191231_103340.jpg

I knew I had to get under the instrument cluster to install the Hummingbird Speedo Recalibrator, so I figured why not install an Autostrada cruise unit while I was at it. Thoroughly impressed by the quality of the unit and the service I got when it didn't work... Turns out the two units didn't play nicely together. Still working out the kinks on the recalibrator but the cruise is working perfectly. It seems much better than any aftermarket cruise units I've used in the past. The built in self-diagnosis is very comprehensive too.

Loving the workshop equipment to easily be able to make up a bracket to bolt it behind the instrument cluster in a factory fashion.

20191231_170138.jpg

Would anyone happen to know what switches need to be on or off on this updated unit (HMSC8000C)? I'll get onto Hummingbird/Redarc but they're away until the 13th Jan.

20191231_143144.jpg

lvivier

Looking good! Re: the Hummingbird unit, when you get it dialed in will you share the settings? My local Fuso dealer isn't interested in calibrating the speedo and I've been thinking about buying one of those…

No problem, when I sort it out I'll post it up here. It was a breeze to install and much cheaper than the mechanical units, but I guess the jury is still out until it works properly.

I managed to get my Maslow CNC router going today! I hope to manufacture most of my interior cabinetry with this, but really it was just a cool little project so I can now engrave our logo into everything...

Attachments

• 20200122_164109.jpg
    20200122_164109.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I managed to get my Maslow CNC router going today! I hope to manufacture most of my interior cabinetry with this, but really it was just a cool little project so I can now engrave our logo into everything...

I will be interested in hearing your comments on this. I have been eyeing it off for a while convincing myself it is needed for something (other than an extension of the 3D printer I bought on the illusion it would be good for stuff on the truck)

I will be interested in hearing your comments on this. I have been eyeing it off for a while convincing myself it is needed for something (other than an extension of the 3D printer I bought on the illusion it would be good for stuff on the truck)
I shall let you know. First impressions are very positive - its a clever design. I think I'll use it a fair bit just because my background is CNC, I most certainly don't NEED it... I'm just waiting on one final component that I forgot about, then I can start cutting up every 8x4 sheet in sight.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
You need to modify the backing plate to be a vacuum table, then you wouldn't need any clamping devices either. ?

I just looked back to my thread and realised it's been quite some time since I've posted an update on here. Progress has been fairly slow as with most projects that I undertake, but the last month has seen me rushing to get the truck to a semi-roadworthy state to be able to drive it to the coast on an unregistered vehicle permit to have the pass through cut out. Some of the completed tasks include -

Making up a telescopic snorkel. I used my Maslow CNC router to make up an adapter plate to allow the new 4" pipe to enter into the factory water trap. It can now get force fed nice fresh air from up high on the open roads, but be tucked away if trekking through scrub. On the 500km trip to the coast with the snorkel, the otherwise stock 4.9L returned 16.8L/100km.

20200708_161100-LR.jpg20200708_161113-LR.jpg20200616_161649-LR.jpg

Commissioned my new diesel tanks and switching valve. I added a used tank from an Iveco Eurocargo that I thought was around 200L. Turns out it only has around 160 usable litres, but that still takes my total capacity to around 250 usable. I added a Pollak 6 way switching valve to be able to choose which tank I will draw from. The stock fuel gauge changes according to which tank I've selected. Seems to work rather well so far. The valve ensures the fuel returning from the common rail is returned to the tank from whence it came.

20200629_130730-LR.jpg20200629_130721-LR.jpg

I made up the spring mounted subframe with the help of a boilermaker friend. Working from my design, we knocked it up over just a few days. I made up all the associated mounts, then painted it all with an etch primer (as it was all Duragal RHS), then finished it off with a 2 pack satin black.

20200630_162728-LR.jpg

Bought a bottle jack with 270mm of lift to get a flat super single off the ground. Although I think it might be a bit tall to fit under the axle if the tyre is flat... I'll still carry the original jack in addition to the new one for a while I think.

20200703_083437-LR.jpg20200703_083530-LR.jpg

Some more pictures to follow in the next post -

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues