A Trip To Nowhere and Everywhere

Scott Brady

Founder
010.JPG

L'anse aux Meadows is high on my list. Thanks for posting up.

dependencies

Observer
Jerry,
Enjoying this thread no end but like others say,
can we have more images.
I agree about the Viking bit BTW that's not a good look :Wow1:

+1 living vicariously through your travels

Richard

On Sunday we took the Jeep north as planned. A nice drive through alders, birch, and firs. It was an odd experience. Here I found (2) towns separated by Grand Lake and Melville Lake. On the southern side is Sheshatshiu, a native reserve. I saw a large, modern police station and a large, modern youth treatment center. Mostly gravel roads and unkempt homes. On the northern side is North West River where I saw commerce, although not too much. A few stores, a fuel stop, several businesses, a large, modern interpretation center which focused on the history of the native people. Most of the roads were paved. I thought it all strange, but then that's me. It wasn't picturesque, so I only took one photo from each town.

This one is in Sheshatshiu. I don't know what it is, but it looks to be a hut under construction. I'm told that the native people still enjoy to stay in tents from time to time. And I actually observed that on my way up the road.

002.JPG

This one is in North West River. I took it because I thought the writing of the native language was interesting.

001.JPG

We returned back to our campsite in the evening. I decided that it was time for a campfire so we collected some wood and built the first campfire of the trip. I grabbed a few hot dogs and we had dinner next to the fire.

007.JPG

As I cooked our dinner, I began to think about the past years with my two sons, out camping and cooking our dinner, just like I was doing last night. I became sad, and then lonely. Those days are now gone, and I loved those days. I dislike those emotions, so I put out the fire. I needed to change my thought pattern. We went for a long walk in the darkness of the night. I was having a difficult time moving forward, as I continually found myself looking up at the magical night sky of Labrador. Billions of stars. The Milky Way. The Constellations. You could see so clearly here. It was remarkable, yes, magical. I realized that I shouldn't be sad, nor lonely. There's so much to be thankful for. And I was surrounded by the forest, the stars, and whatever might be lurking in the forest.

And I slept well last night.

089.JPG

Last edited:
On Sunday we took the Jeep north as planned. A nice drive through alders, birch, and firs. It was an odd experience. Here I found (2) towns separated by Grand Lake and Melville Lake. On the southern side is Sheshatshiu, a native reserve. I saw a large, modern police station and a large, modern youth treatment center. Mostly gravel roads and unkempt homes. On the northern side is North West River where I saw commerce, although not too much. A few stores, a fuel stop, several businesses, a large, modern interpretation center which focused on the history of the native people. Most of the roads were paved. I thought it all strange, but then that's me. It wasn't picturesque, so I only took one photo from each town.

This one is in Sheshatshiu. I don't know what it is, but it looks to be a hut under construction. I'm told that the native people still enjoy staying in tents from time to time. And I actually observed that on my way up the road.

002.JPG

This one is in North West River. I took it because I thought the writing of the native language was interesting.

001.JPG

We arrived back at our campsite in the evening and I decided that it was time for a campfire so we collected some wood and built the first campfire of the trip. I grabbed a few hot dogs and we had dinner next to the fire.

007.JPG

As I cooked our dinner, I began to think about past years with my two sons, out camping and cooking our dinner, just like I was doing last night. I became sad, and then lonely. Those days are now gone, and I loved those days. I dislike those emotions, so I put out the fire. I needed to change my thought pattern. We went for a long walk in the darkness of the night. I was having a difficult time moving forward, as I continually found myself looking up at the magical night sky of Labrador. Billions of stars. The Milky Way. The Constellations. You could see so clearly here. It was remarkable. I realized that I shouldn't be sad, nor lonely. There's so much to be thankful for. And I was surrounded by the forest, the stars, and whatever might be lurking in the forest.

And I slept well last night.

089.JPG

Last edited:

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
The new pics are graet, Jerry. Keep'em coming.
You are getting to do something many of us just dream about.

Travel Safe.

Matt

Left out of Goose Bay Monday morning and headed west for Churchill Falls. Lots of nice scenery along the Trans Labrador Highway. Initially the road out of town was paved, then a nice gravel road, then a horrible gravel road which at times (much of the time) required me to slow down to (5) to (10) mph. I made a lunch stop at a nice little waterfall. A construction worked pulled up to warn me not to fish as the season is over. No problem there-I hate to fish. We got to talking and it turns out that the guy I helped with the flat tire was one of his buddies. Small world.........Goose Bay.

We got to talking about wolves and he said there's lots of them in Labrador but they're skittish and stay away from people. He said they can be 50' away and you won't see them in the bushes. Interesting as the next day proved this to be true.

Anyhow, here's some recent photos between Goose bay and Churchill Falls.

505.JPG

506.JPG

507.JPG

Lots of road construction. I was told that the Canadian government plans to have it completely paved in (3) years. It's time to go ! A few more pictures.

502.JPG

503.JPG

We found a good spot off the road (required due to the dust) and called it a day along the Cache River.

020.JPG

017.JPG

Last edited:
So I decided Monday night that I was going to try harder to see some wildlife which would require me to get an early start. I was up at 3:40 a.m., had my coffee and sat there wondering why I was up so early. Finally it was 6:00 am. and the sun was rising. We hit the road but nothing after the first half an hour. I saw an eagle's nest on a double power pole, maybe 600' off the road, so I decided to stop and get a photograph, as well as let Yukon out.

080.JPG

Yukon and I walked around to the back of the Jeep and out of the brush up walks a wolf, maybe 20' from us. I immediately was concerned for Yukon's safety and got her in the truck. They say that wolves love to eat dogs. After securing Yukon, I returned for photographs.

030.JPG

044.JPG

There were (5) wolves in the pack (that I saw). I spent about (45) minutes with the pack. They seemed to accept my presence with no problems, but we kept a safe distance. Eventually they lost interest and wandered off into the brush. I waited another (10) minutes and then walked along a logging road toward the eagle's nest for a closer shot (same direction the wolves went).

481.JPG

488.JPG

Turns out that the wolves hadn't left, but were in the brush along the logging road, and I found myself within 30' of (5) wolves...........all just staring at me.

I started to back away when one of the males came out of the brush, then charged at me. I had no idea what his intentions were, but I ran as quickly as I could for the truck. He wasn't too serious..........no doubt he could have caught me. At that point I was ready to move on, so we did.

Last edited:

Mr. D

Adventurer
Jerry once again the pictures and narrative are great. I am glad you got your cardio training in for the day actually glad you didnt become a meal. Safe travels

Later in the afternoon, the sun came out and I decided it would be a good day for the kayak. We stopped at one of the billions of lakes along the road and off with the kayak.

493.JPG

I noticed a culvert underneath the Trans Labrador Highway and was able to fit through with the kayak.

499.JPG

Turns out this that this side of the lake went on forever. I kayaked through the bush for at least an hour. It was addicting. I finally gave in and returned to the truck. It was so awesome to get off the road and into the bush. Having the kayak is definitely a plus.

496.JPG

Later in the afternoon I noticed a helicopter landing in the road about a quarter mile ahead of us. By the time I got there he was getting ready to leave. He had stopped to chat for a few minutes with a truck driver. The pilot noticed me stopped there taking photographs, so he decided to pose with his chopper. It was all pretty cool (I love choppers as I spent a year in the Alaskan bush in the 70's working out of them). He hovered overhead for several minutes giving me views form all sides, then flew down the highway for maybe 500' or a 1,000', then came right back and posed again for several more minutes. I liked that pilot. Good guy, but then that's just how people are in Labrador. Great people. Here's a few shots of his chopper.

510.JPG

511.JPG

513.JPG

We finished the day in a gravel pit, far off the main road. This morning we arrived in Churchill Falls. Until next post............

VikingVince

Explorer
Really enjoying reading this thread...thanks for posting. I'm thinking of doing Canada next summer from west to east.
Great pics of the wolves! I'm surprised they hung around in your presence for the pics much less one being aggressive!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater