A Trip To Nowhere and Everywhere

westyss

Explorer
moose

i had to laugh at your moose remark, i just recently finished doing alot of driving in Ontario around Lake Superior, and it seemed that almost every mile there was a sign to watch out for moose, I drove day and night, several hundred miles and never saw a single one. I dont think they exist anymore.

001.JPG

OK, so the Captain Cook thing didn't turn out to be quite what I thought it would be. Mostly it focused on the fact that Captain Cook had spent many summers here surveying the fjord. Not so much on his explorations. Yukon was even less impressed than I. She was on time out for harassing the other visitors.

002.JPG

The views from the monument were incredible as seen here:

006.JPG

As we were leaving Corner Brook, I decided to fill up on all provisions.........filled the diesel tank, filled the water jugs, filled the propane tanks, and bought more food. I could hardly believe that there was a Wal-Mart here. I'm beginning to wonder if I'll beat them to the road through Labrador !! Anyhow, we drove north and east on the Trans Canada Highway passing through Deer Lake (a town). About (30) minutes outside of Deer Lake we pulled over at Grand Lake (a lake) and camped for the evening.

014.JPG

Up early the following morning and captured a beautiful sunrise on Grand Lake. I grabbed me a cup of coffee and Yukon and we spent the morning sitting on a bridge watching nature's beauty.

015.JPG

The plan for yesterday was to get as near as possible to Gran Morne National Park and find a campsite. Turns out there's a nice pull off not more than 300' from the entrance.

031.JPG

We hung out here all day waiting for the big storm. Around 7:00 p.m. it began to pour and it poured most of the night. The winds were minimal until this morning and they've really picked up pretty good. Currently we're in the park and headed out for a day of hiking.

kmroxo

Observer
When you are kayaking, does Yukon swim along or run along the shore? Or does she ride in the kayak with you?

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
Very nice, Jerry.
That's some beautiful countyside your traveling through.
Thanks for the updates...keep'em coming.

Travel Safe

Matt

Yesterday's hike kicked our butts and we knew we had a pretty good climb planned for today, so we returned to the pond for a second night. Dinner, a little reading, and we were done for the evening.

Up early this morning (as usual) and made our way to the trailhead to climb Gros Morne Mountain (806 meters). The trail was beautiful, my pictures do it no justice once again.

064.JPG

We reached the summit just as the rain clouds were moving in. We didn't stay there long as it was cold and windy.

073.JPG

After the summit, we continued on the loop trail and the views were great.

068.JPG

We were back at the rig in just over (4) hours, covering (10) miles today. I think we're both finished with hiking for a few days now. Yukon is currently sacked out in the truck.

We're headed north this afternoon and will leave the park shortly. Our goal now is to make it to the northern most point of New Foundland. This is where the Vikings first landed over 1,000 years ago. I can't wait. Hope you all enjoy reading.......surprisingly to me, I enjoy posting this stuff.:Wow1:

She actually rides inside the kayak. I'm currently in the market for a tandem which I hope to use for touring and exploring, around a 16'. I'd like something large enough to do extended trips.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
She's usually kayaking with me. She loves it, being a water dog and all.

Cool! Got any pictures of boating with your dog? I ask because I do it too. Although my dog is not a water dog and not very fond of going out in the boat. He is a lot smaller than your dog too....

Nice trip report, thanks for write up and pics thus far!

No pictures, but she just sits between my legs. It was better when she was a puppy as her movements had little effect on the stability of the kayak. When she sees something of interest now, she'll move quickly and it nearly flips the kayak. I really need something larger, made for (2) people (animals).

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
No pictures, but she just sits between my legs. It was better when she was a puppy as her movements had little effect on the stability of the kayak. When she sees something of interest now, she'll move quickly and it nearly flips the kayak. I really need something larger, made for (2) people (animals).

yeah my dog sits in the same place, I can't imagine doing it with a dog the size of yours though! My boat has 3 portals that my dog would easily fit in. Thing is I can't get him to sit in them, he just is not having it! For awhile I used a float tube towed behind my boat with the dog in it but it was way to much drag and made fishing real difficult.

what size and model is your boat?

I don't remember the model but it's short, maybe 8'. I trailer my dog when I'm bike touring. That's really a challenge for me but she's worth it. I enjoy her company so much.

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
Jerry, when you talk about the Viking landing/settlement in Nfld, I assume you're talking about L'Anse aux Meadows?
I think there is also a ferry site relatively close to this region that you can take to get to Labrador, is that the general route you'll be heading?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Frank Design