finally got Jr to help me & he finished it up, still needs some minor sanding

it was so nice to get help or otherwise I think I'd never get it completed

Last edited:

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Your truck rehab......

finally got Jr to help me & he finished it up, still needs some minor sanding

it was so nice to get help or otherwise I think I'd never get it completed

If I may make a suggestion.... peel off the duct t ape from the spare tire carrier and cut a piece of heavy duty floormat or similar rubber, punch the holes for the lug screws ( it will stay attached to the mount better) this will work as the gasket you need. Nicer than, "UGH" duct tape and will last. great perstance on working on ride.... keep it up!

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
If I may make a suggestion.... peel off the duct t ape from the spare tire carrier and cut a piece of heavy duty floormat or similar rubber, punch the holes for the lug screws ( it will stay attached to the mount better) this will work as the gasket you need. Nicer than, "UGH" duct tape and will last. great perstance on working on ride.... keep it up!

Thanks

good idea, I should have an old floor mat kicking around

its a losing proposition; vehicles that is when you live in the salt belt

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
discovered a hole in my muffler, decided its best to replace most of it just in case, I hate things half fast & mufflers never separate from the pipes as you want

another job for my kid

just ordered my exhaust from the cat back from my local napa

intermediate pipe $43.30
muffler $54.99
tail pipe $47.96
clamps $7

$153.25 plus any tax

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
finally got a response from Monstaliner,

Hi

ML covers 60 sq ft per gallon in 2 coats

Regards

Eric Rosenthal
President & Technical Director

so I now have some measuring to do, might just order 2 gallons & go over it several times

decisions, decisions...

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
got some new ceramic front brake pads to install today & one rotor since the passenger side was never replaced last time I did these, drivers side still looks perfect

however I'm not able nor my dad to loosen the caliper bolts, I'm assuming that shop I had problems with in March severely over torqued them when they did the front end;

another narcissistic deranged monkey Bas^%$# F&^%er.... did it on purpose like the locking lug nut & alignment

any how if I can get these loose I purchased new calipers, they come with the caliper , new caliper bracket, new caliper bolts & hardware, minus the mounting plate bolts for $200

also got 2 quarts of DOT3 just in case, I know I have a quart somewhere & it always seems I can never find what I need then & there

if I have to end up using these it'll cost me another $120, oh theres a $60 core charge I get back woo hoo I'm just so happy about that

called the bank & looked into filing another dispute, more paperwork basically, if this goes bad I will & the BBB as well

& then to bleed the system etc...

another reason I dont trust anyone working on my rig where I cant watch through a window etc

& the 2 lower rear quarters arrived today as well, the box was large enough for 10 of these

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
my son had to work today so instead my dad & kids gave me a hand all day

got the front new calipers on & new ceramic pads, bleed out the system so now it stops on a dime

also got one coat of chassis saver on the front frame sections while we were there, my dad doesnt understand why we had to do that

most of the time was spent arguing with him since he insisted on doing things differently which I felt were wrong & no way was I compromising anything on my rig, though we had a nice cookout for lunch

relaxed worked for a bit, relaxed, work & so forth all day until 7pm when I couldnt move

my cell is on the fritz, only takes pics when it wants to, so no front end pics

on the rear lower quarters I started by opening up both sides, we cleaned them out, 2 coats of chassis saver each, & then some black paint for good measure

both new panels were coated with chassis saver as well

ran some body seam sealer along the wheel well side of each panel & along the bottom

got them tacked in place & since the weather has been a mixed bag lately I had my daughter cover the seams with duct tape in case it rained, until we can get some marglass over them

thanked my dad again & decided I'm getting him the Mothers head light restoration kit for his bday which is in a few days, his jeep needs the help

Last edited:

J.R.

Observer
Man I HATE rust. I lived outside Bennington for a time and my wife is from Western Mass.
Your travel pictures bring back fond memories.......But the rust, that I dont miss.

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Man I HATE rust. I lived outside Bennington for a time and my wife is from Western Mass.
Your travel pictures bring back fond memories.......But the rust, that I dont miss.

I agree, its the new slurry the state has been using on the roads, its really corrosive

today...

with the help of my daughter & the great weather we decided it was time to get these finished, rain in the near future

got a layer of Marglass over the seams on both sides

sanded those down with the long board & then she went over them front & back with more of the chassis saver

& that was enough for today

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
I was napping when VTS10 aka VTBlazer called to see if I could back him up in case he got stuck, he wanted to try out his new 33's

so I met him down at willie bowl or maybe its bow, either way its a soupy mess there & the mud literally stinks

& after he finished the video of how well his rig really did

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
with the help of my daughter we tackled the passenger side rocker

it was no where as bad as the drivers side

I probably cut out too much, but wanted to be safe all possible cancer was removed

covered interior of cavity with chassis saver , cut our metal, tacked, riveted, marglassed etc

she covered the panel with etching primer

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
me & the kids decided we needed to go camping once this summer & at least use our trailer to justify its existence

somehow in rushing to get on the road I either forget to lock down the ball or the pin disappeared, hit a big bump & the trailer came smashing into the rear bumper: thankfully the safety chains & my ham radio mount saved some damage

stopped by a farm I knew that had a welder & got Tim to re-weld these on both sides for me, guess my welds werent penetrating enough

he wouldnt accept $$ for his work so instead we settled on some ice cold buds as payment since he was getting silage in & was hot as heck out there in the 86* heat

got to the park & set up camp, folks kept questioning me as to what the trailer was & how 3 of us were going to sleep in there...tried to explain its for off road...

decided to move my rig over by the table in order to get the tree as my second hammock support for the night, sleeping in a hammock wasnt too bad, but wasnt great either: got many flying leach bites on my legs where they were hanging out for the blood suckers

had a nice small fire for roasting marshmallows, whats camping without these treats

DAR state park was one of the loudest places I've been in a long time

decided after breakfast & bathing that we wanted to go to Button Bay since they had a pool & was only maybe 15 miles away

trailer doesnt look too bad back there after all the rear end work this winter past

first ones there ! however it filled up fast

had to go back out & get a drink & noticed this beauty beside me

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
me & mariah gave the rig an oil change, NAPA had the oil on sale till the end of the month for $1.99 per qt

& opted for the napa gold filter, dang thing was $11, not sure if its really worth it but we'll see

sanded down the final coat of marglass, some small imperfections left, but hopefully the Monstaliner will cover those

used up all the chassis saver I had left on these, front & back again for good measure

not perfect but its 50/50 LOL 50 miles an hour & 50 feet away you'll never see it

& this finally arrived, now all we need is a long dry spell to get it on & completed

we got the one gallon kit with rollers etc

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Mikie (Jr) spent the night last night, it was nice to have him back home

so today as he promised he got the exhaust on for me

old system was one in 2 out once upon a time, but was modded for that 2 back into one long before I bought it

had to run the muffler back down to NAPA, the inlet was too small, they paid a local shop nearby to expand it for us

out let & the tail pipe were perfect, go figure

& no more SS tip

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat