AA1PR’s Yukon Long Term Build & Adventure Videos 56K

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
went out exploring today

had to do some routine maintenance to our geocache

which way to go...

fire hill rd is now gated

so I drove to the other end of firehill rd & its blocked but passable if one desired

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
my dad was busy fixing a hole in his porch roof where a dang squirrel made his way in

so I tried to finish off the M416 carrier (I did) I am stuck on the rigs

gave up on those & decided I wanted to tear off the fender flares, when I peaked behind one a couple of months ago it was coated in salt & dirt back there

appalled & embarrassed to say the least, tons of body work, need Mikies help for these

it looks like theres foam of some sort behind the panel, might be that expanding foam, so I'm wondering who did that, long before I bought it

need a new fender too

so for now I covered it up with duct tape & some black primer, I now own a rust bucket

now its clear those fender flares were a very bad idea

my daughter suggested we trade it in, so off came all the decals, I might explore that option

& went over the rear bumper with some more black primer

I'm at a loss right now, so undecided to keep or trade it in for something smaller

so for the mean time it looks like I'll be ordering up some panels

Last edited:

snowblind

Adventurer
it looks like theres foam of some sort behind the panel, might be that expanding foam, so I'm wondering who did that, long before I bought it

need a new fender too

<SNIP>
my daughter suggested we trade it in, so off came all the decals, I might explore that option
<SNIP>
I'm at a loss right now, so undecided to keep or trade it in for something smaller
<SNIP>
so for the mean time it looks like I'll be ordering up some panels

Take it easy brother! :Wow1: It's just a little bit of fender lip cancer. No structural issue. Purely cosmetic. You would probably have bubbled fender paint regardless of the flares. Flares just hid it.

Get a new truck if you're into that. Maybe a mid-size truck would be a good fit for you.

If it were me... I would look at cutting out the rust, welding/patching the lip and running a new set of flares. I don't like the look of the GMT800s without flares.

Matt

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Take it easy brother! :Wow1: It's just a little bit of fender lip cancer. No structural issue. Purely cosmetic. You would probably have bubbled fender paint regardless of the flares. Flares just hid it.

Get a new truck if you're into that. Maybe a mid-size truck would be a good fit for you.

If it were me... I would look at cutting out the rust, welding/patching the lip and running a new set of flares. I don't like the look of the GMT800s without flares.

Matt

yes thanks, thinking about just that...

found some prices on the fender

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/s...25.html?intcmpid=Product Listings Best Seller

seen it listed for more as "COPA" not sure what importance that holds?

& amazon has it with free shipping too

http://www.amazon.com/Evan-Fischer-...-0&sr=1-12&ymm=2004:gmc:yukon&keywords=fender

rockauto has the best price of $76, but after hearing how they screwed over hardtrailz I'm hard pressed to order from them

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raf...US+MFR+GM1241281&catalog=69&partnum=GM1241281

however all the wheel arch repair panels mention they're for an XL, not sure if it'll work?

heres an example

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-QUARTE...ING-/171755679764?hash=item27fd6fb014&vxp=mtr

looks like I'd need to remove about 4 inches or so of the left side of that panel since my wheel arch runs off over into the door

& liking it w/o the flares

appears its cheap enough to do the work, I'll get my kid to lend a hand, some welding, marglass etc & it should be an easy fix

Last edited:

snowblind

Adventurer
yes thanks, thinking about just that... found some prices on the fender & amazon has it with free shipping too

Good for you. These things do have a habit of escalating though... you might end up with a full re-spray. :)

however all the wheel arch repair panels mention they're for an XL, not sure if it'll work?
heres an example
http://www.ebay.com/itm/REAR-QUARTE...ING-/171755679764?hash=item27fd6fb014&vxp=mtr
looks like I'd need to remove about 4 inches or so of the left side of that panel since my wheel arch runs off over into the door

Interesting. I'm surprised they don't make a tahoe/yukon specific arch but it does make sense to do it that way. As you say the door is half your fender.

& liking it w/o the flares

Good for you. :)

Matt

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Yeah I saw that van and had to take a cold shower.

yeah scared me too

just order the last piece, the wheel arch repair panel/kit, carid had it the cheapest $79 with 3day priority shipped

though every place I called like them was having it dropped shipped directly from sherman, but was more $$, hate to be frugal

should be here by friday

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
feeling good today after my radio frequency nervation on the back yesterday

so I decided it was time to get those roof LED's finally live wired

$6 for more wire and 1 hour later

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
ok got the drivers side done, here was my progress along the way

opened it up to see how bad it was behind there, all was good whew

coated everything with a heavy coat of etching primer, hence the green color

cut it out to fit in the panel

sorry Adam (bushcoat) heres were I stopped texting you in fear of the incoming storm

got some tacks to hold it in place, that dang foam back there kept burning...not all of them shown

forgot to take any more pics in fear of a fire near the gas tank, until I had a skim layer of marglass over it

cleaned up a couple of surface rust spots on the passenger side while the storm retreated & the sun came back out

& gave them a quick coat of marglass as well

forgot to get a shot of it all primed, clouds were changing again & my back was killing me so this was it for the day

will get some finer finish sanding done on this next weekend as time allows

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
at 10:45 tonight I had to run into rutland to get my youngest, ex wouldnt bring her back...

decided to get a nighttime pic of those roof LED's

at a tree about 50' away, its insane how bright & wide these are

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Great work on the repair panel. Glad you did not give up on her :)

thanks, figured it was cheaper to keep her

took a trip to Burlington to get away for the day, kids needed to stretch their legs & I tried to keep up

most of these were taken while driving, here's our slideshow along the way ~ s685.photobucket.com/user/aa1pr/slideshow/Exploring%20VT/May%2017th%20Burlington%20Trip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat