AA1PR’s Yukon Long Term Build & Adventure Videos 56K

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Its almost always cheaper to keep her.

At any rate,
Nice job! I'll hire you to do mine!

Thanks, your the body man, I wish I had your skills all kidding aside in this field

decided after the dreaded chore of laundry I wanted to head up into the Green Mtns...

eyed this apple tree preparing for the upcoming season on the side of the old logging road, will be later for the apples

ah the beaver pond

looked for fish & found this an old cable

black flies & mosquitoes were too plentiful, was trying to play around with angles

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Mikie preparing for the fender removal

Got the new fender painted inside & out with a couple layers of rustoleum gloss black

& the interior sections of the fender got a heavy layer of rubberized undercoating over them for good measure

Plastic wheel well shield is off, what a cheap design

Fender is officially off

Decided we needed to clean up all the rust on the interior fender pieces & that lower firewall also

Fresh paint

Mike used the brush on the drill & cleaned off all these other assorted pieces & painted them too

We decided the air box bracket assembly needed some TLC as well

It's a shame the frame needs attention too, later this summer it'll be addressed

Jr getting the lower front fender bolt on, not too bad of a location

I took a quick pic while he was getting tools

^%$#@*&^&^%$%#$%@!!( friggin hinge bolt broke & we had to make a fix, not happy with that one bit

Look at how clean that air filter plate is 

Its all on, not a perfect fit, but it works

Man I love my kid & am so ever thankful he helps me out

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Mike had to get back to his girlfriend so me & Mojo went for a ride in Chittenden

She wanted some practice driving my rig, I gave her a speed limit of 25mph not to exceed & she did very well

& then we headed home

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
got the rear tire carrier finished off today with the help of my dad
started off by welding on another piece of 3/16X4X8" flat stock over the old piece, welded along all four edgees & filled in the bolts holes from the back side & used the step bit to get nice straight 1/2" holes on the 5.5" spacing

added several layers of duct tape to prevent the aluminum rim from sticking onto the plate stock, dont need another headache

Got it installed to see what it will look like

I can open the rear window with the tire mounted with room to spare

Forgot here is how I bolted it to the rear bumper to stiffen up the side to side play it had which was ever so slightly, but 1/32” over time could grow into more I thought

Got the tire torqued on to about 75lbs & the cover on to spiff things up some

Also added on my rear shackle

Backed up to my moms stock jeep its apparent how much departure angle I'm losing with it back there

Not great but not bad, not sure how long I can live with it
Went up & down the dirt road to see if it moves any

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
headed out to lake placid & met up with Adam (buschcoat) & his family along with mine

weather was a mixed bag, but we had fun

also learned my magellan gps was worthless, it kept leading me in circles...

here's the random photos in no particular order as a slideshow of the photos we all took ~

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Picked up some more supplies

been bored & not liking my rear tire carrier, so I decided to take a notch out of it & re-weld it back together

Final look, with fresh paint

did some more sanding on the drivers rear panel, got a skim coat of regular bondo on it so I could get the slight imperfections out, with the long board

back was hurting so I stopped here

also had to replace the rear LED, no apparent reason why it failed, it was those supposedly Cree bulbs off ebay, need I say more

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
June 6th 2015 Covered bridges Half Marathon

Helped out again for the third year for the Covered bridges half Marathin in Quechee VT at checkpoint #10 again, heres the slideshow of some of the pics from there

noticed out the corner of my eye killington removed the ski lift that was here since I was a kid

on our way home me & the youngest tried to take a side trip up over Bear Mtn, but there was some sort of race being held there that had the road closed, so I got some shots any how by the gondola

Yes that's snow, its on superstar trail or where again the old superstar lift used to be, not sure why killington is removing all the lifts

the colorful gondolas, surprised mountain biking season hasn't opened up there

Went back down to mountain green parking lot & played around with shots

Snapped a few more by Pico Mtn

Inn at the Long Trail, nice pub & good food

& then onto home for the night

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
OK ordered Chassis saver paint

Items Qty Item # Description Price Each Total 1 UCP99-04 Chassis Saver Jet Black Gloss - 1 Quart
Subtotal: $39.90 Tax : $0.00 Shipping (Standard): $9.00 Total: $48.90

a bit more than I wanted to spend , but hopefully it works better than POR15

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
& my attempt with the GoPro for video, its been a while since I've used it

sometimes its just the places we get to that we enjoy most

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
the quart of chassis saver arrived yesterday & I picked up a 3X4' section of 1/8" body sheet metal to get my rockers redone by my son

I have a few holes starting & instead of just cutting out the bad holes & putting something over it, we opened the length of it up, wire wheeled on the grinder & drill the crap out of there

etching primer, paint & then rubberized undercoating

in the pic above you can see how the dupont kevlar spray can bed liner coating flaked off & created a capillary effect holding moisture underneath it, this is the problem with bed liner coatings if it becomes chipped

we'll form the metal & weld that in, maybe some light marglass over that, primer, paint & then mostaliner later on

its never ending....

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
Mikie got off early & had to go back in at 5pm so I never got him to help me
so on my own & it killed me, 5 hours worth of very little, now I cant move, its either try to do something or mentally climb the walls
started at noon & stopped at 5pm
got a new face shield from homedepot, 3 new cutting wheels just in case & 2 cheap paint brushes
got one coat of chassis saver on after grinding all this down with a wire wheel on the grinder, it looks similar to POR15

got these on, what good they did
Yukon
now to get it welded in

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
with the help of my dad I got the repair backing plate tacked on with some big ol tacks
used a pop rivet to hold things in place

couldnt get it held flush enough so I got these & sometime this week I'll redo those tacks

primed & painted over my work & called it quits & yes that frame needs attention too with the chassis saver as we progress, the permatex extend as you can see was worthless last year

Last edited:

AA1PR

Disabled Explorer
made up 2 more pieces to cover those small holes I missed from the other day, everything coated with chassis saver too

felt like it was going to rain just as I got the piece cut, so with the help of my daughter we riveted it on for now, later I'll tack weld the seams, when there is no chance of thunder boomers

only got half of it down for today... not sure if cell shows our progress or not

also got the backside of the rocker panel up to the floor boards ground down & applied 2 coats of chassis saver to that as well for added measure against salt, thinking I'll go over that with rubberized undercoating, dont like bed liner can chip & create a capillary effect holding moisture underneath it causing further damage

& then decided it was time for one of these for us & onward home

ordered 2 rear lower quarter panels from LMC trucks

part # 11 on this page ~ http://www.lmctruck....ll.aspx?Page=14

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat