About to take the plunge - 2001 Range Rover

L

LeoLR

Toyota Owner? Really?

Almost ever Toyota owner Ive seen that went the Range Rover route hasnt enjoyed it. If your use to a mass produced disposable item rather than a hand built vehicle with more electronics than most light aircraft, thats designed to be maintained to a very high standard the switch will not go well for you.

And everyone in the Range Rover community is sick of all the complaining from the former Toyota owners about the cost of ownership because they didnt understand what they were buying.

cabell

OK, I'll chime in here. I've owned a few land rovers over the years. I bought a '96 P38 when my '95 lwb was killed by a semi. I really wanted another lwb, but couldn't find the right one. The P38 turned out to be a very comfortable truck and now has 279K on the clock and climbing. Here's what it has needed over the years:

EAS, replaced with coils
Starters (2)
Tcase @ 220K +/-
sunroof rails
some HVAC work (can't remember exactly what) @ 150K
Expensive brake master cylinder @ 170K
Radio

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
Here we go again.

I will be the first to say that I love my rover and have wrenched on several rovers, toyotas are far easier to work on and the toyotas that I have worked on and take care have been far more reliable than any of my rovers. There's a 98 4runner that gets abused, goes 5k between oil changes or more and has never given me any problems whatsoever. My rover which I love is on it's 2nd engine, 2nd tcase(seals just blew again), and second rear diff.

Let's not assume that just because you bought a Toyota you are retarded or can't work on a truck. How many p38s have not had issues with their multifunction display? We don't get bashed by them so let's be a bit more civilized.

-Sam

MattScott

Approved Vendor
If your use to a mass produced disposable item rather than a hand built vehicle with more electronics than most light aircraft, thats designed to be maintained to a very high standard the switch will not go well for you.

How can you argue on a P38 thread that Toyotas (ala Land Cruiser) are disposable?

L

LeoLR

Shall we get into Land Rovers reliability ratings?

By who? The rating agencies payed by Toyota? We all know how Consumer Reports can be trusted. The Trooper review they did really showed how they arent bias at all and tell the truth.

And last time I checked Land Rover dosnt have the blood of 40 plus people on their hands due to hidding known problems and lying to the public about the mats slipping while more people died. Really the mats? How ************* stupid is Toyota?

MattScott

Approved Vendor
By who? The rating agencies payed by Toyota? We all know how Consumer Reports can be trusted. The Trooper review they did really showed how they arent bias at all and tell the truth.

And last time I checked Land Rover dosnt have the blood of 40 plus people on their hands due to hidding known problems and lying to the public about the mats slipping while more people died. Really the mats? How ************* stupid is Toyota?

How many people were seriously injured because their prop shafts exploded? How many people were injured when their front differentials exploded?

I have had a land rover for 3 years, now I have a land cruiser, its a better vehicle in my opinion.

L

LeoLR

How many people were seriously injured because their prop shafts exploded? How many people were injured when their front differentials exploded?

I have had a land rover for 3 years, now I have a land cruiser, its a better vehicle in my opinion.

Probbly no one. Since prop shafts dont explode, people that dont replace their rotoflex at the proper milage may expirence a failure,but far from a explosion. And when the MKIII front diff goes worst it does is leave you stranded, and unlike Toyota, Rover has been fixing the front diff issue on any and every MKIII that they can get their hands on. Try taking your MKIII to the dealer and they not check if the recall is done. Mean while Toyota stalled their owners for months on getting the recall done. If their vehicles werent having issues why did the CEO of Toyota ride in a Audi instead of a Toyota? You have to do better than that. Havent seen many Rovers flying off cliffs nor them having a brake failures.

Ok your LC is great, thank you wise one for opening our eyes I will buy a Toyota now, well once they can sell them again after this recall. Want a cookie?

JSQ

Adventurer
If you love Land Rovers because you think they're better built than Toyotas you're going to have a rocky romance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy