About to take the plunge - 2001 Range Rover

JSQ

Adventurer
The pictures were only aiming to compare how the MkII was used in Trek compared to MkIII in G4. There sure doesn't seem to be any substantial difference from which one could draw the conclusion the MkIII's were somehow more thoroughly tested than the MkII's.

Mileage.

Trek trucks ran obstacle courses and a little land nav. That's it.
The G4 trucks ran thousands of miles.

Is it really that tough for you?
Can't see the forest for the trees?

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
The RR was only used in Stage 3 of the 2003 event, which appears to be about 3-400 miles in Australia. Are you suggesting the P38 isn't good enough to drive a few hundred miles of dirt road? Why do you even own one then?

JSQ

Adventurer
The RR was only used in Stage 3 of the 2003 event, which appears to be about 3-400 miles in Australia. Are you suggesting the P38 isn't good enough to drive a few hundred miles of dirt road? Why do you even own one then?

Your google skills are weak, chump.

The MkIII traveled through both G4s. It was only used as a competition vehicle in one stage in Australia. As support vehicles they were there all along. MkIIIs were outfitted as radio trucks for mobile and HT equipment and carried big loads for the duration of the events.

LRG4C06TE%201024.jpg

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
I'm very well aware of that fact. It was so obvious, I didn't think it bore mentioning. It's also somewhat irrelevant. How is that any test of the durability of the truck? Those things could have broken down and been swapped out and you'd never have heard about it. Only a competitor getting stranded would have any hope of being mentioned in the news releases. And even that is dubious.

The fact is, either of these competitions is hardly a test, or proof of anything. You draw some distinction between the two events ONLY because you are trying to use it to reinforce the point you are trying to make.

SeaRubi

Explorer
quick question: is the long side axle shaft for the DII shorter or longer than the long side shaft for the P38a? I'm ssuming that since the locker P/Ns are the same that the O.D. is the same at the splines?

michaels

Explorer
p38 on the rubicon. NO LOCKERS. typically this trail requires at least one locker fomr what i hear and 33ish tires. no body damage either, according to the original thread, despite what the second picture looks like...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

i don't give two ******ts about p38s and am neither arguing for or against. although i will NEVER buy one. ever. just an unbiased perspective.

ShottsCruisers

Explorer
Wow, interesting read! I thought I was on the Cruiser Forums and reading an "80 vs 100" thread! :coffeedrink:

Those wars are intense. I usually lose as there are 50x the number of 80 wheelers compared to 100 owners. Owning both I prefer the 100 and by a large measure.

Good luck to the new P38 owner. Looks like he can work on it and he might take great pleasure in doing so! I will say they do look very cool when modified!

Last edited:

One4adventure

Please, do not even consider it.

1. Worst reliability of any Land Rover
2. Lacks locking center differential (viscus)
3. Failure-prone air suspension
4. Extremely expensive to repair

Find a 2004 Discovery

Hi I mostly lurk on this forum but this thread deserved a reply, I would suggest a late 1999 or newer p38 that has been well serviced is reliable, much more reliable than the 1997 disco I owned previously.
in over 100k of driving over the last three years I have never been stranded, the check engine light has been on once for the mass air sensor and once repaired has never been on again.
I have replaced rotors and pads, a water pump and idler pulleys. I am looking at a CV joint replace next but at 185k not unusual.
it lack the space of the disco but nothing matches it for comfort on a long trip, and certainly with air suspension and 4 wheel TC the disco struggles to follow.
Buy the best one you can find and keep up the service, best of luck etc.

cheers,
Chris

JSQ

Adventurer
in over 100k of driving over the last three years I have never been stranded, the check engine light has been on once for the mass air sensor and once repaired has never been on again.

Quit your job and immediately drive to Vegas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy