About to take the plunge - 2001 Range Rover

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
My first post here and, as a long-time P38 owner, I've gotta dive in head-first.

First the important poop. The designation P38 was never official - during development it was code named 'Pegasus' at LR and developed in building 38A at Solihull, so unofficially it became the P38A or just P38. At least on this side of the pond, calling it RR II or MK II is also quite common and unmistakable for anyone that knows a little about RR's. About the only thing that won't work is 'New Range Rover' despite it having been called that in the RAVE electronic manual. Pick up the last version of the RAVE and 'New Range Rover' takes you to the LM (or L322 or RR MK III or RR III...) whereas 'Range Rover takes you to the P38. Go figure.

And on to items less important. IMO, what ruined the P38's rep was not so much LR's build quality but LR's service and information policies. Considering what they are and do, the electronics in the P38 are surprisingly robust and not all that intimidating. Unfortunately, LR did not inform its customers or the world outside of its dealer network on anything surrounding these issues (we are too stupid to comprehend the magic) and even tried to keep the diagnostic hardware/sw to within its dealer network (as most auto manufacturers did, btw, till newer legislation forced them to make diagnostics avail. to anyone). This, combined with a policy of selling parts only in large units ($800 compressor vs. a $5 seal, $800 valve block rather than 50cents in o-rings) and, of course, LR prices killed the P38's rep very quickly.

So, you couldn't get the car repaired outside of the dealer because an indy was basically faced with issues akin to when the motherboard on his PC starts crapping out. Sure he can open the case, but then he has no clue and no one to turn to for help. And having the car repaired at the dealer was ridiculously expensive - even if the problems were not caused by expensive, hard to replace components but by small electronic problems or sw issues. As a customer, you were fuched - and if I'd payed $60k + for a car only to be stuck with several $1000 repair bills every coupla months, I'd have been peeved too.

Add to all of the above LR engineers thinking that the common public was too stupid to deal with their cars as well and installing safety features such as suspensions that drop to the bump stops with no prior warning (at least as far as the customer knew - if they'd have been informed they would have known...) and security features such as a BeCM that worries so much about open windows (that have not been reset after a battery disconnect) that it drains the battery in a matter of days (makes the car even harder to steal)...

If the indies and customers would've only known. But as Spikemd already said, today that info is out there. As are diagnostic computers/aids.

End rant.

Mechanically the P38 is no more complex than any other LR and pretty robust and very capable in stock form. And the level of comfort is not to be compared to nearly anything else out there. Is it the right vehicle to do extreme rock-crawling with? Probably not. But it is amongst the best all-round vehicles you can buy if your all-around includes off-road travel. Long distance travel, daily driver, off road vehicle, family car. And all in luxury.

We've done quite a bit of travel all over Europe in our DSE including extensive off-roading (lifted EAS, two RTT and lots of other little poop). It's now got 330K Km's and is still going strong.

I love my P38 :sombrero:

Last edited:

rovermech

One I did for a customer a while back...sorry no action shots. If I remember total lift was close to 3 1/2 inches on 33 inch BFG's...a lot of custom suspension parts. Ended up moving the front axle about a 1 1/2 forward. True Tracs front and rear with 4.11 gears.

Attachments

• P38.jpg
    P38.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 145

JSQ

Adventurer
I love this eurotrash input.
The P38 is so poorly executed that even the diesel they put in it is ******tty.

I'm also cracking up at all this "well maintained" and "good service record" talk. The Piece38 can fail at anytime. You could have had the heater core O-rings replaced yesterday and the valve block changed this morning. It could still strand you tonight.

If you love the Piece38, that's fine. I do as well.
I'll continue to keep mine and drive it regularly over fairly long distances.
But I don't pretend it's something other than what it is. To do so is not only foolish, but it does a disservice to the uninformed.

I'm also a believer in keeping the P38 in stock form.

P1000585.JPG

I'm realistic about what its strengths and weaknesses are. It's pretty much best left alone. If you limit it to the activities it's good at as a stocker, you'll be much happier.

Tuscon%2020JAN06%20020.jpg

SeaRubi

Explorer
Rovermech - did you guys just relocate the frame bracket for the radius arm to move the axle forward? That looks like a well done truck. The snorkel fab on there looks good, too. Nice work - thanks for posting up :beer:

Is it the right vehicle to do extreme rock-crawling with? Probably not. But it is amongst the best all-round vehicles you can buy if your all-around includes off-road travel. Long distance travel, daily driver, off road vehicle, family car. And all in luxury.

Sounds pretty accurate to me. How do the dual RTT's work out? I'm trying to warm up to the idea of a rooftop tent but there isn't enough room for three of us.

rovermech

Rovermech - did you guys just relocate the frame bracket for the radius arm to move the axle forward? That looks like a well done truck. The snorkel fab on there looks good, too. Nice work - thanks for posting up :beer:

We re-did the bracket for the front radius arms to correct for caster but to move the axle forward we actually had a very beefy extension made for both front radius where they mount to the frame. They were actually screw on extensions with a couple of small holes on each side so that after they were screwed on they were welded around the base and also (I forget what its called) but welded in the holes for good measure.
Thanks building that one was a lot of fun.

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
How do the dual RTT's work out? I'm trying to warm up to the idea of a rooftop tent but there isn't enough room for three of us.

Aside from the weight up high, it works out fine.

We were on a track in the mountains this past summer where I had no choice but cross a slope sideways. The missus - out of the car spotting me - tells me to stop and then proceeds to tell me very calmly that the high-side rear wheel is bouncing and hanging in the air for long periods. I didn't consider the car to be anywhere near the rollover point - I've been in much worse situations w/o the tents on top with no prob. Had me worried for a bit. Our RTT's are older canvas models tho, so they're prob quite a bit heavier than newer tents.

Camping in them is great. The missus and I are in one tent and the kids in the other. We have the tents set up in a matter of minutes and closed nearly as quickly. One opens to the back and the other to the side. We have a tarp that attaches to the base plates of both tents and sticks out sideways as a dining fly - plus the overhanging tents give us addtl. shelter. I also built a controller for the EAS so that I can manually inflate/deflate each air spring. This way I can get the car and tents nearly level on all but the steepest slopes.

Have you checked out the larger RTT's? I've seen them supposedly large enough for 4 (mount lengthwise on the roof and open to the side). There is a review of RTT by CampingLab in the equipment forum. They have a tent designed for 3.

The only drawback to a RTT as far as I'm concerned (aside from the weight up high) is that if you want to stay somewhere for more than a night but still need the car, you've got to close up the tents. Spent a couple of days on the beach a number of times now and was always POed at having to close up to get more water.

SeaRubi

Explorer
I also built a controller for the EAS so that I can manually inflate/deflate each air spring. This way I can get the car and tents nearly level on all but the steepest slopes.

Now that is just the kind of bling we need to see more of around here!! :bowdown: Thanks for the information on your setup - seems like it works well. I'll have a look for the 3 person tents you mentioned for sure.

Have you experimented with adjusting the air-springs to compensate for side slopes while under way? This is the chief benefit marketed by the "Air Rock" jeep suspension, which all the Jeep guys now perceive to be the proverbial cat's meow. You've achieved with your stock truck and a home-built controller what these fellas are charging thousands of dollars for. Congrats are in order :costumed-smiley-007

http://www.offroadonly.com/products/suspension/airock/

I've had two Range Rover Classics with Borg Warner viscous cases and I love them. Never had a problem with either and I love the way they drive. I've known a few people that have had issues, usually seizing, but they were able to obtain a used replacement for a few hundred bucks and the install isn't that bad.

Brett, I missed your earlier post. I felt a great pang of disappointment the first time I shifted my LT230 swap into diff-lock on my 1991 RRC. Gone was the magical sensation of putting along in low range, then coming up to an obstacle and sensing the power being smoothly sent to the front wheels until I could feel it lockup up 50/50. I'd out-climbed quite a few Disco I trucks in my Rangie, earning the Borg-Warner case the moniker of "magic soup diff". I think that had everything to do with the soft stock springs and little to do with the transfer case, but it sure all worked well together as a package.

My only issue was with mine blowing up on a climb over a root wall, approximately 150 miles from home. I'm not certain what grenaded inside - it could have been the chain, or it could have been the gearset. I never tore it down to find out. Whatever it was it was very loud and very sudden, followed by terrible grinding noises. I wheeled mine pretty hard for about 2 years, and the truck had ~80k miles on it when I purchased it. I think it had around 120k on the odometer when it let go.

With the center console trashed after removing it for the swap, and the lever needing endless adjustment to keep from popping out of low range, the swap definitely took some warming up to. The words of my local Land Rover mechanic, an independent and co-founder of the PCRC, kept ringing in my ears: "Run it 'til it blows up, then do the swap."

My understanding about the P38's is that a) there is no such swap available, anyhow and b) that the newer borg-warner cases are substantially stronger than the ones fitted in the classic.

To my knowledge, no one has ever complained about the lack of lock-up off-road in the BW transfer case, nor its durability, as fitted to the P38 / P38a / MkII / NSR ... that's new shape rangie to the n00bs :coffeedrink:

(can't we all get along? :victory:)

Funrover

Expedition Leader
While I loved my parent '97 it did have it's share of problems. It was great and it performed amazingly for years. Would I buy another one, yes...for the right price but I would get a newer or older one first. For the OP situation the 04 Discovery is the way I would go also

I love this eurotrash input.

I'm also cracking up at all this "well maintained" and "good service record" talk. The Piece38 can fail at anytime. You could have had the heater core O-rings replaced yesterday and the valve block changed this morning. It could still strand you tonight.

P1000585.JPG

Tuscon%2020JAN06%20020.jpg

I'm confused. Are you saying a well maintained truck and documented service history are immaterial in assisting a prospective buyer in making a more informed purchasing decision?

Obviously any vehicle can have a failure at any time but I have to disagree if you believe failures are a totally random event and past service has no bearing on future performance.

spikemd

Explorer
Picked up the Range Rover today!

Well, I picked up the Range Rover today. :wings: Got it for what I think is a steal at $7200. 88K miles and excellent interior/exterior condition, no oil leaks, EAS works and full service records. Its silver, not Expo white and doesn't have the roof rack or brush bar, but looks great.

Thanks for all the information/advice/criticisms on the P38/P38A/Pegasys/RRII/New Range Rover or whatever you want to call it.

I think it looks great and I prefer it over the Discos. For my budget, it works and when I sell my bimmer I will save the funds for parts/gear.

I will get some pics up soon. Thanks again.:smiley_drive:

I will have to change my sig now...

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
Well, I picked up the Range Rover today. :wings:

when I sell my bimmer I will save the funds for parts/gear.

I will get some pics up soon. Thanks again.:smiley_drive:

I will have to change my sig now...
:) Congrats & many happy miles. The bimmer fund sounds like a plan. Do get some pics up. If you haven't already, check out the P38 forum over at rangerovers.net.

Now that is just the kind of bling we need to see more of around here!! :bowdown: Thanks for the information on your setup - seems like it works well. I'll have a look for the 3 person tents you mentioned for sure.

Have you experimented with adjusting the air-springs to compensate for side slopes while under way? This is the chief benefit marketed by the "Air Rock" jeep suspension, which all the Jeep guys now perceive to be the proverbial cat's meow. You've achieved with your stock truck and a home-built controller what these fellas are charging thousands of dollars for. Congrats are in order :costumed-smiley-007
Thanks, but it really wasn't very hard. I'd been jumpering the pins at the ECU for years (see the EAS field recovery page at RR.net) to level the car and finally decided to make a more permanent solution. Just a couple of relays and switches - no fancy electronics.
The brownstain incident crossing the hill sideways this summer would've been the perfect opportunity to try the controller on the fly. Unfortunately, I'd tucked the controller under the drivers seat and would have had to get out of the car to pull it out. I did consider it for a minute, but the driver' side was the downhill side so I decided to nix that. I haven't had time since, but I have been wanting to try...

(can't we all get along? :victory:)
Jury's still out on that - at least for one person.

S

stu454

Congratulations!

And good idea on the repair fund (which is true of any Rover).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk