Adam's 2005 4runner v8 overland build!

Looking great man. I need to start working up a design for a rack for my Tundra. I want to go RTT, but I have two dogs so am unsure if I'll be able to work with that.

Whats next for plans?

Here's the rack on the power wagon- :)

bzFKNQU.jpg

Recent Memorial Park Camping pics, the setup was great! Especially for eating lunch with pesky wasps around :twitch:

SAdMm5D.jpg

hcllotn.jpg

All packed up and ready for the next trip. Hopefully to something less civilized next time.
2LFbk5D.jpg

keylay

Adventurer
Looks great! I have a 4th Gen too and adding an FJ lift on it soon. Wish i had the extra cash for Icons!

Looks great! I have a 4th Gen too and adding an FJ lift on it soon. Wish i had the extra cash for Icons!

Thanks! They are great, but don't worry about it too much. Itd be better to use money for a trip and an experience anyways.

Here's some Recent pics guys!

HWY 1 Trip

bQVu8jf.jpg

AWhV9qh.jpg

SxqTJcw.jpg

Treasure Island.
fQMvJZv.jpg

9m2dRx3.jpg

RDCb9T8.jpg

Vv5Sztf.jpg

A7d7Po3.jpg

5hDWyOM.jpg

7GG9X5M.jpg

4G5n2h5.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
Nice Runner! like that color.
I am gently searching for an '05 V8 such as yours. Im wanting the limited for those heated leather seats :)

How long does it take, in ideal conditions, to set up and tear down the tent/enclosed awning? and what you think the total real added weight on the roof is (not incl. rack) tent/awning/whatever else fits in that bag

Whats next on the list of Mods?

Nice Runner! like that color.
I am gently searching for an '05 V8 such as yours. Im wanting the limited for those heated leather seats :)

How long does it take, in ideal conditions, to set up and tear down the tent/enclosed awning? and what you think the total real added weight on the roof is (not incl. rack) tent/awning/whatever else fits in that bag

Whats next on the list of Mods?

Thanks! I love the color too! blue in the day, black at night.

So the tent set up, about 3-5 minutes. Tear down is about double that if I do it alone. with two people only about 5 minutes.

The awning is my favorite- about 30 seconds with 2 people. if that. Also its about 1 minute to put away.

My only "issue" is that if its wet or rainy. I am always worried that I have to open it up again later to air out. other than that I absolutely love them.

I would say total weight is only 150lbs or so, the only thing I notice is wind resistance. But for the price through Tepui- well worth it.

Next on the list will be a Front bumper, and rear storage solutions. I'll be trying to make my own drawers that incorporate normal household plugs, a cigarette lighter, and also Water on tap. :)

Installation:Metal Tech Lower Links and Sway Bar Links :wings:
Man oh man these links are BEEFY. Thanks to LT at metal tech for such a good product!

Also, a big thanks to Mstudt on t4r.org for the Rear Sway Bar quick disconnect links Here is the link to his product thread.

My only concern will be trying to line up the little pin and reconnect the sway bar when we are on the trail.
Also, once I disconnect the link, I'll still have pieces of hardware moving around....
Maybe I can remove certain parts of the link when I undo the pin and just leave the hard connections? I guess i'll just have to wait and see.

They installed pretty easily and get the job done- truck feels a lot more "sporty" now. Especially after driving it for 5 months without a rear swaybar :smiley_drive:

Total install time was about 2 hours. -Not bad.

Enjoy the pics.
wWCvAGL.jpg

kx6F2H2.jpg

KlIbfZs.jpg

For my next mod....I found ripped CV Boots!

zidaro

Explorer
i have a set of these offset lower links on my '10 runner. they have held up excellent with no issues.

i have a set of these offset lower links on my '10 runner. they have held up excellent with no issues.
Good to know! how do you secure them when you disconnect the bar for offroad purposes
What kind of mpg are you getting after the lift and tires without the roof rack? And mpg with the roof rack?
Roof rack makes no difference, but the RTT brought it down from 17 stock, 16 lifted. and now 15 with lift and RTT

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Isn't the sway bar bolted to the axle?
That is the worst setup for disconnecting. If both ends are disconnected, the sway bar ends are flopping around with the axle. IF there is enough free space you can just disconnect one side.

My guess is that you'll get so annoyed by the noise those make on the road over tiny bumps and pull them off. I used a set with similar design (little cross pins) on two different rigs and they annoyed the piss out of me. As you said they are quick disconnects. NOT quick connects. You'll have to bounce the rig around a bunch to get the last pin back in usually. I found that, if there is room to disconnect just one side, it's actually easier and quieter to just remove the end link with tools. Ymmv

KRP

Observer
great looking truck!

I've got a pretty similar set up with my 4runner, except I'm currently using a frontrunner rack. The rack itself is fantastic, but I find that it doesn't provide any extra space once my Tepui tent is mounted. I basically have about 8inches of space in front of the tent, which doesn't give me enough room to carry much else if necessary. How much space do you have in front of the tent on the Gobi rack?

I don't have the sway bar disconnect, i am just running the Lower links. Im only running a standard ICON stage5 setup, no "long travel" (as metal tech likes to call it)
yea i just zip tie it

great looking truck!

I've got a pretty similar set up with my 4runner, except I'm currently using a frontrunner rack. The rack itself is fantastic, but I find that it doesn't provide any extra space once my Tepui tent is mounted. I basically have about 8inches of space in front of the tent, which doesn't give me enough room to carry much else if necessary. How much space do you have in front of the tent on the Gobi rack?

Thanks! With the Rtt i only have the room above the moon roof... so thats about.... 20 inches by 40 inches

i'll have a detailed build video soon enough...

In the meantime heres some updates. I also got a 2009 WR250F with less than 10 hrs on it! :wings:
Mounted with an MXHauler

JjHFoge.jpg

S945fWt.jpg

xgome63.jpg

JrcB7cF.jpg

olnmCcC.jpg

elpTdoW.jpg

SC1rUrW.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member