AEV Brute: The Ultimate Overlander?

docwatson

Adventurer
Everyone takes it personally when it comes to finances.

I like the concept of the Brute and at first glance would have agreed that it was the ultimate NA Overland Vehicle. After reading this thread however, I am more inclined to go with the Power Wagon. I like the one ton payload and the 10,000 pound tow rating. My wife isn't huge into "roughing it" so I need a lot of space and extra stuff.

The most difficult part for me in "Ultimate" is that it is solely based on my experience. I have traveled a fair portion of the country, but not offroad. So my knowledge of "offroad adventures" is somewhat limited meaning my opinion of ultimate vehicle is somewhat slanted.

Two things I know, I don't know a lot; and if I had a blank check I would buy an Audi RS6 Avant cause they are so sexy I couldn't resist.

Box Rocket

I find this to be a very interesting (and entertaining) discussion. I rarely stumble into the jeep section but when I do there's usually something to grab my attention. Today it was this. So if the "regulars" in here don't mind an outsider's opinion I'll leave mine. My comments are based solely on the question posed by Scott about whether or not the Brute should be considered the "Ultimate" overland vehicle available in the US for the US.
First and foremost I feel I should pull back the curtain a bit on myself and my own bias and preferences purely for sake of transparency and context. I am a shameless Toyota fan. I have owned several Toyota 4WD vehicles over the years and they have just been my personal favorite. Everyone has their own favorites and that's fine and just because a Toyota may be my favorite that doesn't mean that it is the best for everyone.....but it probably is. ;) But I've also owned Jeeps and a Land Rover Discovery. There were good things about those but none of them did for me what the Toyotas have done.
So, to answer the question at hand, if I were looking at an alternative for the Brute as the Ultimate overlander for the US it would be a Double Cab Toyota Tacoma. Here are my reasons, which are based on my own experience, and I like to consider myself someone who does actually step away from the keyboard and get out there. Probably not as often as some but definitely more than most. Some will want me to consider some fullsize 4WDs in this discussion but IMO the size becomes a deterrent. There are just places that a fullsize is too big for to be considered the "Ultimate" overlander.
The Tacoma (doublecab) offers a strong and durable chassis and axles with stock suspension capable of a vast majority of overland type terrain. Available locking diff. An extremely reliable motor with adequate power to handle not only the terrain but also the weight of extra gear/equipment. It also has a comfortably sized cabin that can handle 4 adults easily, or two adults and ample room in the rear seat area for gear that you want to keep out of the elements. From my point of view it is very difficult to argue the benefits of a functional truck bed on an overlanding rig. It could be an entire discussion on its own talking about all the different ways a truck bed can be utilized. But rather than get into those details, let's just agree that for this discussion it is a major selling point of an "Ultimate" overlander. With that as a baseline, by adding some of the standard upgrades that are common such as suspension upgrades, slightly larger rubber, some trail armor, now we've got what I call an extremely formidable overlander. It performs extremely well in all terrain types. It can rock crawl, and also go fast through the rough stuff thanks to a great IFS setup. It's no accident that my current offroader (and daily driver) is a double cab Tacoma, albeit a slightly older version. I truly see it as the "Ultimate" for me. It offers so many of the benefits of a full bodied SUV for gear storage, passenger room and protection from the elements but also has the rugged functionality of a truck with the truck bed. Add to that an extremely tough and reliable drivetrain (which lets face it, should be a high priority for an overlander) that isn't likely to leave you stranded and I believe its a hard one for anyone to argue shouldn't be in the discussion about the "Ultimate" overlander. Here's mine.

So now we look at the Brute in comparison. The Brute has many (if not all) of the same key features that I mentioned with the Tacoma. Similar seating/cargo room inside the cabin. A tough and durable chassis, axles and suspension. Locking diffs. Powerful drivetrain that has a high level of reliability. The noted benefit of the truck bed. Room for gear inside the cabin. Now we add the same type of modifications with some suspension upgrades, bigger rubber, bumpers etc and we have a similarly capable overlander which could also be argued is more capable than the Tacoma with the low gearing of a Rubicon and the locked solid axles. It can handle any terrain type, although maybe not at the same speeds that are possible in the Tacoma. But what you give up in speed you make up for in the rocks with solid axles. Seems like a mostly even playing field overall.
But now you add one more feature that may be small for some but for me I think could tip the scales in the Brute's favor. One of my favorite vehicles I've ever owned was my 1976 FJ40 Land Cruiser. I won't go into all the reasons I loved the 40 so much but suffice it to say it was outstanding. One of the things that made the FJ40 a complete joy was pulling the top off on a cool summer evening for a drive through the desert. That experience with an open top vehicle is just fantastic. The Tacoma will never have that as great as it is in just about every category important to overlanders. However the Brute gives you that option.
So, I know this will continue to be a pissing match for some, but I think Scott may be onto something and I don't think I can find a reason not to agree with him that the Brute may very well be the "Ultimate". But since I will likely never be in a position to own one, I can have 99% of what the Brute offers with a Toyota Tacoma which would be my #2 choice as the "Ultimate" overlander.

Edit: last comment.....as for overlanding being possible in much more basic vehicles. Nobody will argue that. But it never hurts to be overly prepared. I would rather have a rig fully capable of handling anything I encounter even if I never find those challenges. I don't want to find myself in a situation where I have say "I would go that way, but I can't get my rig there" because that's where the adventure ends instead of continuing.

Last edited:

Scott Brady

Founder
The Tacomas are awesome. If we are looking at value, it is the easy choice.

How about:
Brute = Ultimate
Tacoma = Awesome

Ah, the irony of the hyperbole :)

haven

Expedition Leader
I guess everyone will have to choose their own "ultimate" adventure travel vehicle. The choice for trails in western USA will probably be different than if you drive East Coast trails.

For example, the Brute Double Cab, with the wider axles, jumbo tires and big fender flares, is maybe two inches narrower than a 2015 Suburban. It's 8 inches shorter than a Suburban, or about the width of a sheet of typing paper. So the Brute Double Cab is not exactly a nimble trail companion. But the length adds a lot of utility. It's all a matter of what you value.

One thing the Brute Double Cab has in spades is exclusivity. In my neck of the woods, I see similarly priced SUVs (Range Rover and Cayenne Turbo, for example) every day. While I see AEV-equipped Jeeps on a regular basis, I rarely see a Brute, and never a Brute double cab.

WrenchMonkey

Mechanical Animal
I'll just leave this here...

10703831_840149579337605_1835124847786560738_n.jpg

toxicity_27

Adventurer
So, if you could have a blank check and buy your Ultimate overlander, what would it be? Any new 4wd sold in the USA. Take your pick. . .

And you can't wish for more wishes, so no choosing the most expensive thing and selling it to buy something else. Blank check and you can't sell it.

I would easily choose the Brute. I love my JKU and would love it even more if it had a bed.The only vehicle I've had that I miss was my old F150 so that would make up for it.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
Dude your name is so fitting.
Nice blanket statement, but it's pretty obvious that you did indeed take a shot at me..

You still do not know me or my financials yet you still imply I'm financially insecure? All your money, which may or may not be more than I have as far as either of us know, will not buy my respect towards you regardless of your position.

If you've taken offense by me saying some have more money than sense, it was not my intention, I've seen how you use your vehicles and can justify them no matter the cost. But you can be sure that many of the 100k limited availability jeep trucks owners are buying them as a symbol of their success. And if they (or you) need personal belongings to feel better about themselves, then there's your insecurities you speak of.

Have a nice day
SB

m3at333hp

Adventurer
If you note in the article, I am specific about this being an "ultimate" choice for North America only.

Duly noted.

I would still rather buy something a little more comfortable for extended trips, even if only in the U.S., which has a square mileage of 3.71 million. I am trying hard not to regret my Wrangler purchase just yet! :ylsmoke:

I will leave you with this great West Wing clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVX-PrBRtTY#t=167

Littlehouse

Adventurer
It's pretty damn cool, and definitely the most capable overlander imo. That being said, my ULTIMATE overlander isn't just about capability. My ultimate would be a powerwagon with a 4WC or a new Sportmobile with Ujoint conversion. I enjoy my sleep.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I look at the Brute then I look at a single BMW R1300GS all kitted out, compare pricing and I suddenly see a lot of value in the AEV.

Last edited:

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Thanks Scott for the great article, photos and explanations throughout this thread.

When I first read the article it was obvious you were expecting some disagreement, and it's cool to see you here talking around the points with everyone.
It's cool to be able to talk directly to someone that has driven and extensively tested every 4x4 worth owning on the planet, and is happy to share their opinions and experiences so candidly. We all wish we could talk directly to Jeep engineers :)

I saw and crawled all around the double cab at Overland Expo this year - it is extremely impressive, and I'm sure very, very capable.
I'm still in the "smaller is better" - maybe it's my "not North American" heritage. A regular length JKUR will suit me nicely.

On a related note, I assume your comments about the GVWR on the double cab also apply to a regular old JKUR - that is, it's limited primarily by it's rear springs?
(I ask, because as much as I'm trying, I anticipate my next build being massively heavier than my last)

-Dan

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
I have never owned a pickup

As the ultimate overlander, where do You put your fridge, is there a 12v power outlet in the back? Could not find any info on that. How do other pickup owners place theres fridges.

How do You secure things on the bed like a heavy fridge or similar, I can not see any anchor points or 12v power outlet on the bed from this picture. Oh no, no sub:) just kidding.

129_1207_09%2bbrute_double_cab%2bbed_with_tailgate  _down.jpg

How do You avoid stuff from frezzing in the back, like water, food, clothes, sleeping bags etc in cold days.

How much bigger space do Brute have for the rear passangers compared to a JKU. Scott Brady wrote "The Brute is also supremely comfortable for rear passenger"

For me it looks like the same space, or is it better seats or something els that make it more comfortable than a normal JKU.

129_1207_12%2bbrute_double_cab%2brear_passenger_se  ction.jpg

Found a video and he says it the same rear as the jKU

[video]http://www.aev-conversions.com/component/allvideoshare/video/project-jk-checks-out-the-brute-double-cab-at-sema-2011[/video]

Anyway it looks cool

Some movies

hansrober

Adventurer
I guess my ultimate over landing vehicle would be a beat up rusty Suzuki Samurai with bad paint and bald mismatched mud tires over the Brute. It would cost $500 or less and anyone could start it with a screw driver. It might not beat the Brute or any of the other awesome and capable day dream vehicles suggested above, but I wouldn't have to bother defending myself from my good neighbors, who it seems can hardly tolerate the idea of my proposed individual pursuit of happiness, or at least my pursuit of individual over landing joy just because of its cost.
Come on folks, if I had a blank check I would buy Airwolf!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad