Alaskan Camper Build Up

Advanture

Hmmm, Global Expedition Vehicles does a SRW replacement on their rig similar to the EarthRoamer XV-LT (only with a better departure angle) the UXV-550. If you go to the photo gallery for that model http://globalxvehicles.com/uxv-550/uxv-550-gallery/ The sixth photo shows a shot of the rear of the vehicle--with the rear of the calipers exposed. That company also does SRW conversions on larger trucks--but I guess most of those might be drum brakes? You might want to shoot off a couple of e-mails to the two companies and see if they have ever had a problem with the rear brake being exposed. I'd be a little concerned too about how exposed the rotors and brakes look--but at least they get better than stock cooling!

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
It would be pretty simple to fab a front cover/shield to protect the rotors from any `Bush Rash´. I would just leave the rear of the rotors free. A `C ´ formed construction pointing forward that is bolted directly to the backing plate sounds like an easy job for any fabricator. Once again it all depends on how `Narly´ you are going to get offroad. Like someone mentioned before, it will sure help with the cooling of the breaks!:Wow1:

Carlyle

Explorer
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the awesome replies and suggestions and if gives much food for thought.

Options:

1. Have a cover fab'd for the brakes
2. Invert a used wheel to cover the brakes
3. Leave it alone

The ER people don't cover their brakes, but on the other hand how many ER's really do off road? I'm sure it's a small percentage... The easiest fix, if needed is to use the inverted wheel and I'm leaning in that direction right now.

Truck was supposed to go to the welder/Fab guy this morning, but he is running behind schedule and will not start on it till Thursday now. Per Aluminess, the bumper is powder coated and now waiting to be packed and sent here. After it gets here the Warn 16.5 and the PIAA lights from my Ford will be put in it and mounted.

I have been playing with the Icom 31A a bit and feel that it is too limiting with only the single 44o band and 5 watts and will send it back for a vehicle mounted dual band of some sort. I thought the Yaesu 7800 was a pita to program, but I'm hearing they all are. Any suggestions? Yaesu versus Icom? The Yaesu 7900r has all the features I would like, but is it going to treat me the same? How come none of them are mac friendly?

Carlyle

Explorer
Personally I would fab up something to cover the brakes and lines. Protect the brakes so you aren't left stranded somewhere looking for brake parts.

Decisions, decisions. I do like the thought of them covered simply for the longevity of the brakes alone. Still interested in those 19.5's? I'll make you a killer deal.

Advanture

Did you say why you weren't running duals, I didn't catch it if you did.
That's something I didn't understand until I looked into it a bit. Single rear wheels inline (on the same track as) the front wheels are considered to be superior to dualies for off road/rough road use. If you think of a deuce and a half or a more modern version of it http://www.special-trucks.eu/webspecial_zetros/
Or even heavy haulers like those 10 X 10 missile haulers they are all using single wheels. If dualies worked better for the application--they would use it. I'm thinking things like heavy tractor trailer rigs used in logging use dualies because they might spend considerable time on pavement getting to the mill, or it's needed for the extreme weight of the cargo? As I understand it, the main reason SRWs are preferred is it allows you to more easily negotiate obstacles in your path (if your front tire clears it--and you are going in a straight line your rear tire will also clear it), and allows your rear wheels to roll on ground that has already been compressed by the front tires (I'm thinking snow would be an example), possibly improving traction. If anyone knows additional reasons, I'd like to learn them.

Carlyle

Explorer
Avanture and Red Rocker; You are right I did not explain ahead of time that I was going with SRW on this truck. As Advanture mentions, SRW is superior for mixed conditions. In addition to the the rear wheel being in the same track as the front for improved traction in ice, snow mud etc, knowing where your tires are, you also have the fact that rocks do not get jammed between the rear tires leading to sidewall wear and punctures if not removed. Rickson is one of the few companies that make wheels for the 5500 to do this. In addition, these wheels are reversible front to back so you only need to carry one spare.

Carlyle

Explorer
Passenger Side cabinets under construction:

photo-3.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven