All Terrain Warriors campers

haven

Expedition Leader
When you order your custom wheels from All Terrain Warriors,
have them mount a set of Toyo tires, too. How much will it cost
to ship 800 lbs of tire/rim sets back to USA?

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
the [Michelin ZXL] gets about one flat every week ... the [Toyo] has had one flat in 6 months."

Wow! Good information to have! Just to confirm, the Toyo tire we're talking about is the M608Z 285/70R 19.5, 36 inches high, correct?

Chip, This is not normal driving, so don't jump to any conclusions here. The XZL's are THE offroad tyre. The benchmark and normally the first choice for the military however as an allround tyre ............... I'll rephrase this>>>> In the same conditions that cause the Michelins to have on average one flat a week, the Toyo's have only had one flat in a 6 month period.

I know guys who have travelled across the country on XZL's with no flats at all. However this was a good comparison as both trucks were identical and doing the same tracks.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

The photo shows an extra layer of rubber around the base of the tread blocks where they meet the tire casing. This extra layer is supposed to reduce the chance that a stone will become lodged in the tread, possibly leading to a puncture.

Chip. I think the term Toyo use is "stone ejectors".

The largest 285/70R19.5 I have found in the states has a 35.4" OD. I have not seen a 285/75 here?

Leon, Ours are only a 285/70R but they are 899mm O.D.??????? (Late edit: Doh. 899mm is 35.4" so that is the same, did you think they were bigger?)
Check here. http://www.toyo.com.au/LTRPDFs/M608z.pdf Somewhere I posted a pic of them standing next to an XZL which are about 930mm. They look very close when you stand them next to one another.

Here it is. See? The O.D. difference isn't as noticeable as you might think.
3662341830_124f318163.jpg

For usa availability those Michelin XDE2+ look like the choice tire right now (IMO). Only because they are specified to be about 1" larger in diameter than the M608z we can get here.

XDE2+ are available here in a 305 x 19.5" which are IIRC about 930mm. The only trouble with them is they are made as a high milage/ highway / drive tyre with a very hard compound. They chip easily and the tread blocks tend to rip right off in rocky country. For the purpose of which they were designed for though, they are excellent. Standard fitment on the bigger Isuzu road trucks.

Bridgestone here also do a big 305 drive tyre that does stand up very well offroad but the pattern would hardly suit mud or anything at all slippery. They were on that truck I did a thread on . "Bight to Cape York". After all the abuse they gave them over the 18 month period, they were still in great shape.

The other 19.5" choice we have is the Continental HCT1 "construction" tyre at 305 . About 930mm too I think. The Toyo is still the only Mud ' n ' Snow pattern though and they're extra tough too. Next best pattern is the Hankook AM02 but they are a fair bit smaller and at half life they turn back into a standard zig-zag drive tyre pattern with nowhere for the mud to escape out the sides. Hard to explain. They look good when new anyway before the half knobs wear down.

We all should have ordered ATW campers from the usa when the AU exchange rate was 68% of the us dollar.

Or when it was 55% 18months ago. It's up around 90% now. I know a guy here who restores Mopar muscle cars and exports them back to you guys when your dollar peaks. Who would have thought?

BTW Found a pic of that particular bus on Toyo's. When it was new. The other 649 runs exactly the same body but I'll try and get a pic of it too. Just to complete the post.

4488954603_c60b3edb7e.jpg

Building a beautiful one of these ATM for a tour company in Central Oz. . Really optioned up. Should be done by the end of next week.

Leon, how much are the Toyo M608Z's in the US?

Last edited:

daniel ruops

Adventurer
He's back!!!!

It a pleasure to have you back on the forum Mr. Whatcharterboat. We hope that you enjoyed your vacation and walk about.

1Engine

Observer
One thing I do like about the Toyos are that they are able to be re-grooved so then you know that there is extra "meat" there to resist punctures etc

whatcharterboat

We hope that you enjoyed your vacation and walk about.

Dan , I haven't been away, just studying. We can't all have a shack in Baja. Lol
Least I've got the genuine hat now so occasionally I can imagine I'm somewhere south of the border.:sombrero:...Hahahahah.

You going to OvEx again?

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Alan posted: Nothing like a challenge! and it may also help get my act together and start the project.
The most custom made functional capable off road expedition vehicle wins!!

Hey, I'm just on the sideline here but this was how far they got over the weekend. Wheels next week. The skirt is only on for a quick look.
4492322341_8df846fefd.jpg

whatcharterboat

cheers Fingers crossed Tony

Tony , This 'll make your day. Got 'em all today. Did yours first up. What a transformation a couple of new wheels can make, eh? See ya soon.

Oh yeah , we hired 4 young blokes to unload the box of rims this morning, when they finished early Mark got one of them to give it a bath. At least that oils gone of the roof. Haha. Gotta get that exhaust flap fixed, mate.

4505391550_71ace91ecd.jpg

4505395878_1247fb9834.jpg

EDIT: Tony, just took your truck for a drive to dial in the new Cruise Control and check the speedo recalibration with the wheels. Man, that thing is sweet. Sure paid to get a super low klm truck when you bought second hand. You did really well, heh? Really well. Those prison gaurds mustn't have driven it at all. The motor still feels really tight. The Cruise will be good on those long outback hauls too. BTW What's wrong with your exhaust brake?

Last edited:

fgcrazy

Perfect

Thanks John for up date they look great. i have the flap here at home it comes on and off as the truck dont fit in garage with it on and when i took it up there i forgot to put it back on. As for exuast brake not sure it was working before it might be the idle needs adjusting after the cruise control has gone on it wont be any major trouble. It sure looks sweet cant wait to get it home and do some more mods on here. Flying up monday see you then im going to look at the trayon factory while im up there. looking forward till monday Tony

whatcharterboat

As for exuast brake not sure it was working before it might be the idle needs adjusting after the cruise control has gone on it wont be any major trouble. It sure looks sweet cant wait to get it home and do some more mods on here. Flying up monday see you then im going to look at the trayon factory while im up there. looking forward till monday Tony

Yeah no worries. We'll sort it out either way. It'll be something simple. I won't be there till late in the day. See ya then. John.

whatcharterboat

Who makes a cruise control for the Fuso?

Earl, it depends on which model. The newer ones are all "fly by wire" (Did someone say "low-tech"?) . The earlier FG's have just a good ol' fashioned cable type accelerator..... so it all depends on how your accelerator functions. Some generic units (Autron is a good one) that utilize a secondary cable pulling on the pedal (and which I'm sure you'd have access to in the USA) can be adapted to suit just about anything but we now opt for one we've had made especially for us to suit the new FG84 (should be the same as the North American FG140). A generic one will still do the job but is nowhere near as tidy and for commercial use they have to be 100% reliable. Hence, why we don't normally use the generic (electro-mechanical type) aftermarket Cruise Controls on the 84's when we can use a fully electronic module. As NTSQD said recently in another thread, in his experience , it's usually the mechanical interface that is the source of most so called "electronic" problems. Oh and in the unlikely event of a problem, it's just a simple swap of 2 plugs and the module is completely bypassed.

A bus in Australia has to be speed limited to 100kph (which can be a pain in a long haul desert tourer). So we have a simple plug-in accelerator pedal to ECU interface module to do this. Just pull the plug from the ECU out of the pedal and plug that into the new module and take a 2nd lead from it and plug that back into the pedal. Then tap one wire into the speedo pulse wire. Only takes about 15minutes to fit using factory plugs. We can connect in a data-logging fleet management system to this which can also send back real time telemetry (speed, rpm, location on a map, ECU warnings, etc) in a TXT message through a GSM link back to the owner or workshop manager or whoever. Actually it goes via a data base somewhere in the UK but that's another story and I'm already way OT by talking fleet management. It's handy if someone's taking your pride'n'joy for a joy ride anyway as you can even send a code to immobilize the truck.

So that's for a bus but if it's a camper we do something different with the same speed limiting module. Firstly, we disconnect the pre-set 100kph bus speed limit. Then the units have 3 spare inputs so we can connect in a Cruise Control stalk with all the normal features (eg. set/resume, dec/acc) and/or pre-set speed functions (so just hit 60/80/100kph buttons) or even have a preset engine rpm control (like the factory electric hand throttle but you can dial any pre-set rpm up to redline) to use when running a PTO hydraulic winch for example. Each optional function you connect in is one input. So Cruise is one and each speed or rpm limit is one. Only up to 3 in total.

BTW You should see the Cruise in my friends new VW TDI Passat. It has forward looking radar which slows you down as soon as there is a car in front, matches that vehicle's speed at a safe distance and won't resume your intial set cruise speed until it sees a clear lane ahead. So anyway, another car radically changed lanes across in front of him the other day on a 6 lane freeway. He said it automatically applied the ABS as hard as possible before he even got his foot to the brake pedal; adjusted his seat back so he wasn't to close to the wheel in case of a collision and the air bag going off; the seat belts tensioned up and pulled him back in the seat tightly and then it started yelling "Warning" from the speakers. All in a split second. Unbelievable. Ours isn't quite that advanced.

Actually, I can see a day in the very near future, when Cruise Control units will be linked to Navigation units to cater for speed zones through towns and even through road works. All our new Nav units verbally tell you if you're speeding in a zone and so they should. An interface between the 2 systems is the next logical step.

John.

Last edited:

justduck

Observer
Thanks for the reply. Will the company you work for sell the cruise control or do you have to buy the whole camper to get it?:) I doubt that it's available in the US.

I don't know why, but it's nearly imposable to get an Australian company to answer an email. Maybe they don't ship to the US or??? It would be nice if they would at least answer. It's possible that the companies that I have tries to contact are just flakey. We seem to have plenty of those in the US.

whatcharterboat

Thanks for the reply. Will the company you work for sell the cruise control or do you have to buy the whole camper to get it? I doubt that it's available in the US.

Earl, just email me at work about this rather than on the forum. tech@allterrainwarriors.com.au Thanks mate.

I don't know why, but it's nearly imposable to get an Australian company to answer an email. Maybe they don't ship to the US or??? It would be nice if they would at least answer

I know exactly what you mean. I sent 4 emails to a Californian truck dealer about buying multiple 4x4 trucks to be converted to buses for a mining company working down in Mexico. Don't you think that type of enquiry would warrant an answer? That was 5 weeks ago and still nothing........

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven