All Terrain Warriors campers

alan

Explorer
Hi John,
Sounds like your trying out the new Redarc battery control, I was just reading about these the other day, let me know how they perform.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Hi Alan, Been awhile.........

Yeah they came and saw us about trialling some new products as well. Their policy is to have about 30 units in the field for 6 months before anything gets released. Basically we are looking at different versions of the BMS....a bigger one and a 24volt version down the track. The unit in this truck is the one already available to the public but sure, I'll let you know how it goes.

We haven't done much with Redarc before but this new system is unique in the way it manages charging and we thought it was worth a try. One thing about Redarc is that their gear has always been well tried and tested. Pretty much the standard in the trucking and coachbuilding industry for as long as I can remember, as opposed to the RV and marine scene but I can say they have definitely made a place in the 4wd market in the last few years with their smart solenoids.

Last edited:

Kingchevy

I have had the pleasure of meeting the guy that owns redarc mr anthony kittle
he is a very interesting bloke its amazing actually how small the operation is I was under the assumption they were a huge multi-national company how incorrect was I altough they have a excellent product I have been using redarc for everything from low water level alarms to handbrake alarms and I can honestly say I have not had a problem with any of there products..

alan

Explorer
We use there smart solenoids and have fitted hundreds! over the years with only maybe 2 or 3 crook units.

whatcharterboat

Another job to follow if anyone's interested. SWB with SRW, full coil suspension again and a steel work tray.

4367830140_cf1e0379e9.jpg

Just got it yesterday. Didn't take long remove the front diff. Just waiting on all the laser cut components to turn up now. Pull the rear diff out tomorrow. Trying something very, very different with the front suspension on this one. Have to wait for the pics.

4367845648_9be4230db3.jpg

John.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

a

Originally Posted by whatcharterboat View Post
Like driving a boat from a flybridge. Definitely the highest truck I've driven. Luxury ride.
Whatcharterboat, I have to say, from the bottom of my heart, I hate you and all your kind.

Lynn , You're really going to hate me after this. We took the truck out for a photo shoot with some journos today up at our old test track. Haven't been able to get up there for 18months. I'd forgotten how much fun it was. Once we worked out how to engage the diff locks anyway. Really steep climbs, generally very slippery with lots of scary gulleys and scratchy trees that kept jumping out at us.

Anyway, the guys are going to send me a CD of the all the pics so I can post up some proper shots of the truck all set up outside and of the interior, etc. These were just with my $100 special.

BTW that spec in the distance near the mirror was an FG crewcab work truck we met up there. They were having a bit of fun too but I didn't see much tree clearing work getting done. Lol.

4378919212_fc0ecd26d8.jpg

4378126965_c6750147fc.jpg

4378149777_e84c48bf97.jpg

Last edited:

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Whatcharterboat, I have to say, from the bottom of my heart, I hate you and all your kind.

Whatcharterboat said:
Lynn , You're really going to hate me after this.

Yep, that seals it.

Don't suppose your boss would be interested in hiring a foreigner with no fab skills or experience, but lots of enthusiasm? That would defiantly put you back in my good graces.

That truck replaces the former "truck I'd give anything to own:"

4353725706_09bb49baf6.jpg

Do you question the source of your customer’s funding? Maybe I can find a drug lord that needs to be robbed...

I don't think I'll be able to sleep until you get the interior pix uploaded.

whatcharterboat

That truck replaces the former "truck I'd give anything to own:"
4353725706_09bb49baf6.jpg

[/QUOTE

As a matter of fact , it's in the workshop right now for some mods. 5 or 6 years old now. Still looks as new. The owner's wife makes the best Greek coffee for our morning breaks. Sad to see them leave. Lol.

Don't suppose your boss would be interested in hiring a foreigner with no fab skills or experience, but lots of enthusiasm? That would defiantly put you back in my good graces.

And that commute will be a killer. I tried to poach NTSQD once before. That was his excuse.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Hi Dave, Was about 6 on the floor this time last year but we have just put a few more on recently. 2 used to be with us a few years back and one of the guys that worked with Paul in the early days of Noosa Coach just came back too. Noosa Coach & Body was were all the first 4wd trucks like FG's were converted to buses for Fraser Island back in the '80s I guess. Have a good Kiwi coachbuilder now who used to have a custom Jeep workshop back in NZ and also we put on a new marine electrician who would be one of the best audio techs in the country. Won awards in Autosalon etc. He used to work for our original audio supplier way back and just walked in off the street one day asking about a job. The boat scene here really died when the economy got shook up. Even if we advertised Australia wide, I doubt we could have picked up anyone with his skills so he took my job over and I now spend half my days in the office and half in the workshop

That's about half our total undercover area in the pic. Got 3 sheds in a row. This one is the biggest one where we do all the metal fab and fitting. There is another fiberglass shed exactly half the size of this one but you can't move in there for molds and another shed the same size as that again for all the fiberglass assembly and painting.

BTW Dave, Did you watch your favorite Aussie get gold in the womens half pipe. Keep an eye out for those 2 bobsled girls from here on the Sunshine Coast too. Heat 1 tomorrow.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

"No wonder you all are so busy."

Dave. Glad you included that
cause the other guys at work reckon I'm getting a big head and it is very much a team.

Oh, while I think of it > you guys should be very proud of the show put on. Re : Olympics :clapsmile

Still waiting for the proper pics from the magazine photographer so I just posted a couple more from my $100 dolar special. My interior shots aren't that good so they'll still have to wait. These give a idea of the roof up. 700mm lift with 3 stage hydraulic rams and will lift an extra 750kg of gear up too.

The outdoor entertainment gear is cool. All top shelf ski boat gear so it's really weatherproof. Carbonfibre speaker cones and IP65 rated wired remote controlling the outside zone without changing the interior settings. Same with the LED light over the sink. Modified from a portable anchor light. Actually all the bins have recessed LED lighting too. And finally a "transom" shower.

BTW, the 20"LCD TV gets relocated inside as well. When they're travelling, the kids have their own 19" dropdown with games console in the cab.

Remember this truck was built for family camping holidays with 3 young kids rather than extended touring.

4409552511_33cee10bc8.jpg

4410309806_e0350c3ea4.jpg

4410309322_1ca40ed6dc.jpg

4409580931_6a5ff610b3.jpg

Last edited:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
snip.....
And that commute will be a killer. I tried to poach NTSQD once before. That was his excuse.
That and my serious GF who, for several large reasons, couldn't move with me.

John, that picture of the pull-out side-board kitchen. Does the water spigot fold down, or does it *just* clear the top of the opening? I'm in a bit of a pickle with said GF's pull-out kitchen design. Easiest would be if there is an off the shelf folding spigot so I don't have to have one made.

whatcharterboat

Does the water spigot fold down, or does it *just* clear the top of the opening? I'm in a bit of a pickle with said GF's pull-out kitchen design.

Hi mate, Yeah, it folds. Hot'n'cold but of course you can just get a single folding cold faucet too. I'll send you some info and let me know if you can't get one in the US and I'll see if we can throw one in the post if it comes to it.

The work light is really neat. It would be perfect for any outside kitchen you were designing. It's a pole with a tiny LED work lamp on the end. The socket is like an angled cig socket with a waterproof rubber flap. So you just push the pole into the socket and it's powered then stow away when you travel. Easy to make.

Cheers. John.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Those MAN pics

4423847863_e1e2e3dbed.jpg

4424614696_dbd8f91acd.jpg

I never did find that gear knob. Actually it's the dial just in front of the park brake lever.
4423851521_9467cb7bc4.jpg

ISRI air seats allround. All the audio amps and sub are tucked in behind these back seats.
4423853015_26ba73a907.jpg

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

A curtain normally seals off the toilet / shower. These are a new marine, 2 drawer fridge. Really good at keeping all the contents from becoming tossed salad when offroad.
4423858075_388f3c22b8_b.jpg

Hey Thom, there's those folding taps again. The second one is a "drinking water only" and runs through a special filter.
4424623940_b0dfcfc8a2.jpg

Queen size bed over. See the telescopic / folding ladder. The tables can move around or drop down to form more doubles or stay as singles. I think the lounges are each a bit over 10' long.
4424627056_4c72e29f6b.jpg

"Soft shut" drawer mechanisms with hatch locks on all the doors so they don't fly open when traveling rough terrain.
4424632128_2eacc56823_b.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven