All Terrain Warriors campers

Tony LEE

International Grey Nomad
lol.

BTW we had a new Oka in today for a demo. Hoping we might be able to sell a few. First time I've been in one. Not just a new model but any of them. Definitely like the auto/cummins combo.

I drove the latest one a couple of weeks ago - just around some dirt roads at Coolgardie. Bit hard to judge smoothness on the corrugations because he was on a delivery run to Cairns and had the tyres pumped up as much as possible to improve mileage.

Certainly better performance than my 1994 model OKA, but I guess after 15 years you can expect some improvements. Not sure that having to find supplies of urea in remote locations is really an improvement, but you can't have everything.

Last edited:

ozzyfishaman

Adventurer
Here I've been thinking that as long as drinking water was available there would be a steady supply.

You can't buy much of anything in the Australian Outback,how much urea does it hold ? and what sort of range do you get with the available fuel capacity on the Oka ?

oka boy

Observer
According to the engineer the urea tank is big enough for nearly two refills of the fuel tanks as the urea consumption is minute,but you are right about availability for now,as the new models of long haul trucks came to the market urea will be available at the road houses and eventually nearly everyone will have to use it,I have a conventional Cummins so no urea is needed.
Cheers,Joe

Tony LEE

International Grey Nomad
Usage is not all that minute. Apparently 2 to 5% is normal but the cost of the urea is supposedly offset by fuel savings.

Practical problems will include additional component failures that trigger a limp home mode and need to stop the solution freezing in cold climates (FP -11C)

oka boy

Observer
Tony,I was only quoting what I was told i don't particulary like the extra potential headaches but apparently it's call progress.BTW I disconected the return fuel line and blow into it and can't hear any bubbles so the line doesn't reach the bottom of the tank.
Joe

Tony LEE

International Grey Nomad
Thanks Joe, that will save me the indignity of getting a mouth full of dust doing the same.

(For those wondering what on earth Joe is talking about - I asked a question on the OKA forum to do with getting the fuel supply for a webasto water heater and cooktop that I'm fitting to my OKA)

The new vehicle I drove had a 5L bottle of urea solution in the back and they were heading to FNQ so I guess you are right about not needing t5o carry huge amounts even for extended off-roading.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Thought I'd post a few recent SRW conversion pics up. Seems like we're doing a couple every week lately. Been really stuffed around with delivery of our 5stud FG wheels though. Soooon.

4332532884_d0094ed73b.jpg

4331774713_cd832cc84f.jpg

4331802595_8607eaca39.jpg

4332546432_6b7d65a7fd.jpg

4331816445_cb213cf82d.jpg

This unfinished beach bus ended up on 255/100R16" XZL's. By my count, this is their 30th bus body from us.

4332560760_e496be7ac6.jpg

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

A couple of updated pics of the MAN as well. Almost done now. Upholstery next week, 6 spotlights above the front windscreen and....nope. That's it.

4331906193_e223f3d017.jpg

Still needs a rear wheel carrier. Those lower tail lights are gone now too.

4331914177_0da8011d21.jpg

It went 9.5ton on the weighbridge with full tanks.

4331922585_a21f66c427.jpg

Had to take it down to Kawana (1.5 hour round trip) yesterday to have the freezer looked at under warranty. Like driving a boat from a flybridge. Definitely the highest truck I've driven. Luxury ride. Air seats, air cab and parabolics on the front, full air on the rear. Really easy to use auto box with manual override.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Man, you should at least give us some warning to delve deep into our resources of self control, convincing ourselves that things really do work together for good, even though we can't get those trucks in North America.

nugget

Observer
I was lucky enough to have a close look at tha MAN earlier this week and it is impressive to say the least. Absolutely beautifully done....QE2 of expedition vehicles!

whatcharterboat

Got any pictures of the inside?

Before it goes out the door, I'll take plenty but there still isn't any upholstery so I'm waiting.......

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven