All Terrain Warriors campers

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
daniel ruops
stay and visit
Hello John Whatcharterboat

Please tell him he is welcome to visit and stay with us when he passes through the cesspool of humanity in Southern California.

Dan. Will he need to bring his own tin foil?:arabia: LOL.

whatcharterboat

just wondering if that is a east coast bullbar bumper i'm seeing on the coil over truck. i've looked on there web site and would like to purchase a bumper for my o8 fuso fg (exactly same as canter i beleive) here in the states.

my question is if you guys over at warriors know the company, i've been having difficulty getting thru to them with the e-mail supplied or by phone.
any help greatly appreciated, thanks

Hi Lehel, The ECB bar was supplied by the owner (OZ101). These are a generic bar with brackets specifically for the FG84, oh and a generic winch bracket for a Warn type winch. A couple of different companies make them here however the ECB unit is one of the better ones BUT they all need to be undone so you can tilt the cab.

In the whole time I've been at ATW , 8 years now, that's the only bar I've fitted that we didn't make ourselves. So that answers your question about whether we deal with any bullbar manufacturers. Our bars are all designed to clear the cab when it's tilted. Check em out on the website. Spence is sort of correct in the way he describes how we build them for custom specials (like the one I had to make for this RTW truck) however we do use jigs for the common bars. I suppose the one below is the most common one . Nearly always alloy just with varied upper headlight/grill protection.

3140423058_6f6b75da28.jpg

And again but polished.

3140424040_8cd86daed7.jpg

Lehel, I'd just go with Spence's advice. It's not rocket science. Different story when they get airbags but for now I'm sure someone local could come up with something to do the job admirably. Who did the bar work for Doug Hackney? It's awesome. Just keep it light. Man, after some of the stuff I saw from SEMA......And the Aussie brackets may be slightly different anyway around the steering box. No cancel that. They'd just swap over.

The winch is a different story. I suppose you've had a good read of the "winches on expedition trucks " thread? The winches we use are a worm drive , not a planetry gear setup so they are a completely different format. You need to consider this when fabricating mounts. The ECB winch bracket was of no use on that grey coiled truck and so a new one had to be made to suit. However, the APE winches are bomb proof, come with breathers and are really well sealed, use grease nipples in key areas, have a comparatively modest power consumption (IIRC 320amp @12V) and use a generic electric motor so they should be easy to keep going over where you are. I can't recommend them highly enough. The main users of them here are our military and our power companies. Although they use the hydraulic version and they don't just get used for recovery. They are used heavily every other day, all day pulling power cables. To do this they are fitted with a capstan out the side. Ask Mickldo about them. He fits them at his work.

www.winch.com.au Very basic website but you'll get the idea. Just good ol' boys who build no nonsense heavy duty winches for working trucks. Not part of the flash 4x4 car scene at all.

BTW as you may have picked up in that thread we rarely fit electric winches to 12volt FG's . The old FG's were 24volt as are the NPS's and OZ101's FG that had that winch we are discussing has an additional 150Amp diesel powered alternator as well as the Fuso engine driven alternator. So think about what you expect your winch to do before you make a decision on what type of winch. Every one says "Well I'll hardly ever use it. Only in an emergency." . Well if that emergency is pulling your self up a creek bank , it'll probably be fine. If it means dragging your 6000kg camper a 100 metres through a mud bog or up a steep hill it could be a different story.

We've really been looking hard at suitable hydraulic winches ever since Cut Snake Winches stopped production but that's another story.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Hey Johnny that front bar looks fantastic.
You done Mad Max proud!

Thanks Dave. Lot of work. You should see how it folds when you tilt the cab. I'm still shaking my head. It's in 5 parts. The front bar with the lights and over the roof, then a removable roof rack to allow for clearance in the container, the centre winch bracket and finally the two outer wings. They're not quite finished yet either. I still have to make some MAN style swing up steps to make it easier to climb aboard.

What's on the back - single receiver for the winch?- Is it still movable?

Yeah, still removable but it's a double hitch setup. Had to be 2 to get the rating for the 16,500lb winch. Each hitch is directly under the chassis rails. If I get a chance I'll take a pic of the winch fitted to the the rear. The back looks good too. Wait for the pics. Double swingout wheel carrier, lockable tentpole box, 4 x Max Trax, all LED lighting, provision for a bike rack in the hitches, TV antenna, bla, bla.

whatcharterboat

What's on the back - single receiver for the winch?- Is it still movable?
Yeah, still removable but it's a double hitch setup. Had to be 2 to get the rating for the 16,500lb winch. Each hitch is directly under the chassis rails. If I get a chance I'll take a pic of the winch fitted to the the rear. The back looks good too. Wait for the pics. Double swingout wheel carrier, lockable tentpole box, 4 x Max Trax, all LED lighting, provision for a bike rack in the hitches, TV antenna, bla, bla.

4109008044_8e5be7d5f8.jpg

4109001492_2d90d2372b.jpg

4108228285_b9161641b8.jpg

whatcharterboat

Hi Dave, Yep. This one had to have provision for a motorbike rack on the back which he intends to fit in Europe. After Africa anyway. The idea is that by having the wheels swing out you don't have to unload anything extra. This would be a something for any home builder to consider. Even if you were towing a boat or other type of trailer, a wheel rack that came down to the rear could be a hassle.

Hey, here's that pic of the winch in the rear position. BTW the winch control box is loose not crooked and we're still looking for a proper location for that blasted front rego plate.

4115121430_6cf709a7ab.jpg

whatcharterboat

Took these yesterday too. We were setting up the limit straps on the diffs. The wheels were all still firmly on the deck so I suppose that's a plus when diff locks aren't an option yet. Cool huh. Never seen a Canter do this before and I'm sure it could've gone much higher too.

4108267507_806e801f2a.jpg

4108275175_499aef58c9.jpg

4108259705_5676c5b62b.jpg

haven

Expedition Leader
I hope at some point the All Terrain Warriors folks will sell their
super single wheels and long travel suspension in a kit for export.

Until then, the best way to get an All Terrain Warriors vehicle
into USA would be to purchase a Fuso FG cab/chassis here, ship
it to Australia for conversion, and then ship the completed vehicle
back. The suspension and wheel upgrades should cause no problems
with customs. Because the truck's emissions and safety equipment
are unchanged, there would be no question the truck could be brought
back home.

If you chose to add an ATW camper to the vehicle, I don't think there
is any reason why the Department of Transportation would delay the
vehicle's entry into USA. But the camper door opens on the "wrong"
side for a country that drives on the right side of the road, and the
electrical system is 24V. So you'd have difficulty finding replacement
parts. I think a couple of the appliances are Australia-only items, too.
Overall, I think these issues don't reduce the appeal of the ATW product
so much that I wouldn't consider one.

Chip Haven

whatcharterboat

and the
electrical system is 24V.

Hey Chip, NPS are 24 volt. Always have been. Our FG's changed to 12Volt with the FG649 back somewhere around 2000 so the current FG84 is 12 volt too.

john
BTW How did you find SEMA ?.

haven

Expedition Leader
"How did you find SEMA ?"

I drove north on Las Vegas Blvd, and turned east on Convention Center Drive :smiley_drive:

I could only attend for the first morning. The show was considerably
more subdued than previous years. 4x4s with rooftop tents were
much in evidence, so the "overland travel" motif has made an
impression on the marketing departments of the auto manufacturers.

If an All Terrain Warriors vehicle were on display, it would have caused
a sensation. With Earthroamer closing, only RUF Inc and Global
Expedition Vehicles offer a turnkey overland travel solution on a medium
truck chassis in this country.
http://www.ruf-inc.com/aatrecfm.htm
http://globalxvehicles.com/

There are plenty of good photos from the show here:
http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34098

able

Coils for trucks

Had a PM asking for some more pics of the coils. So here you go.

The truck has gone to Fraser Island for a week or so, but we hope to fine tune it alot more before we're happy enough to release it. Floating is about the best descrition. Reminded me of an early Range Rover. We only just finished the front so the rear coils will still be a few weeks away. The previous pic and the one below are with the truck hanging off the forklift and the wheels just touching the ground. So at full extension on the limit straps. Still had to sort the brake lines here too. Also we're going to add in-cab air control for the shocks to stiffen up for the road.
Enjoy.

Love it. Just what the doctor ordered!
We have just bought an old 2000 nps can it be done to that? Or should I say can you guy's do that for us.
We are finding the ride a little choppy over the corrugations. Had a test on the beach road that runs from Port Macquarie to Point Plomer slow then fast with different pressures.
Like riding a wild bronco!!! if anyone knows that road.

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

So the coils replace the leaf do they?
We have just bought an old 2000 nps can it be done to that?
We are finding the ride a little choppy over the corrugations. Had a test on the beach road that runs from Port Macquarie to Point Plomer slow then fast with different pressures.
Like riding a wild bronco!!!

Mate, nothing like those lefts on the back beach at Pt Plomer. Anyway , yes the coils replace the leaf setup completely but on an '00 NPS I'd look at a leaf pack with more leaves but thinner and with more set so you get more action in the suspension. The next best option would be to fit longer spring packs but this would be more work of course. No matter what, I'd invest in decent shocks. Are there any good truck suspension guy in Port? I'm sure there would be in Newcastle or maybe Coffs. Hey, whatever you change from standard will an improvement.

Very good 'ol truck by the way. Ugly as but super strong.

1Engine

Observer
Hi John,
I just hope you have nothing in the yard when I come down in 4 weeks to get the singles fitted.
I think the wife might fall in love with some of the setups & I feel my Mastercard is not big enough.
However it may be a good excuse to keep her at work for a couple of more years so she have something to work towards

able

Mate, nothing like those lefts on the back beach at Pt Plomer. Anyway , yes the coils replace the leaf setup completely but on an '00 NPS I'd look at a leaf pack with more leaves but thinner and with more set so you get more action in the suspension. The next best option would be to fit longer spring packs but this would be more work of course. No matter what, I'd invest in decent shocks. Are there any good truck suspension guy in Port? I'm sure there would be in Newcastle or maybe Coffs. Hey, whatever you change from standard will an improvement.

Very good 'ol truck by the way. Ugly as but super strong.
Yes being a goofy, it's the place to be when it's on. Thanks for the advice on the packs I will have to investigate out of town a bit from the response I had from our local guy
quote (mate they build em that way for a reason) :)
And you think they are ugly, Have you seen the back we are putting on the thing. A toy hauler.

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
I think the largest Toyo M608Z that we can order in USA is 245/70R19.5.

I have been looking for a tall, narrow tire solution for our Rover and from looking at this thread became very interested in the M608Z as a possible alternative to the "unobtanium" that is the 255/100R16 (nee 9.00R16) XZL. Yes, the 9.00R16 seems to be possible to find, but at large prices... The real deal killer for the XZLs are as John mentioned to me, they are "noisy, expensive, fast wearing and move sideways alot on the road." The "boss" can't stand the noise of the current 35x10.50R16 SSR tires, so something much quieter is needed.

Anyway, I have been talking with Redline and John and concluded (obviously) that the M608Z is way overkill for what we need.

However, in all that research, I did find that the Toyo M608Z in size 285/70R19.5 is indeed available here in the states, just not on Toyo's website for the states (it's on their Canadian one). I know this because I was in contact with Rickson Wheel discussing wheels for the Rover and asked them directly if they carried it and if they had it in stock. Interestingly enough, amongst the tires they offer in this size, it seems to be well priced, too.

It would have been a big investment in custom wheels as well as the tires themselves to convert over to this arrangement. The cool factor is there, that's for sure. Too bad it is much more than we need. So, other alternatives are being considered...

Frank

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven