All Terrain Warriors campers

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
4424633792_f4c66ee828_b.jpg

4423870331_7071d51672.jpg

whatcharterboat

Ruth reckons she wants one.

Yeah Dave, She'd look good up there. Bet it would take Ruth, your young bloke and yourself combined to change one of those Super Singles though.

Turned out all right but, eh? It's come along way from when you first saw it.

John.

Last edited:

Mickldo

Adventurer
Looks good John. That MAN is sweet.

I'll have to post up some pics of the 2x double decker racecar transporters we built (that you did the crawl thrus on). They turned out really sweet in the end. We are now getting a heap of new inquiries for similar trucks.

Mick

whatcharterboat

I'll have to post up some pics of the 2x double decker racecar transporters we built (that you did the crawl thrus on). They turned out really sweet in the end. We are now getting a heap of new inquiries for similar trucks

Mick, do it. So many of the guys here and in the US are doing homebuilds and are looking at alloy sheet construction and you guys are certainly one of the masters at it. Even though it's not a camper I'm sure it would be well recieved by all on the forum. I'm certainly keen to see them.

Thanks mate.

From the FG in a Box thread.
Bajaroad wrote :

After reading the Isuzu thread, the obvious question (which may have been answered already) is why does ATW choose the Canter for most of their builds?

Actually , Brent I did a rough count and it's about 50:50 . Since I started we've done only 1 more NPS camper than FG and with the buses it would be very close ratio too. You see, we always leave the decision up to the owners as we aren't locked in to buying from one manufacturer. We don't buy a packet of trucks to get a bulk discount and then try and flog them regardless. Sure we offer advice either way, but it really depends on very specific end user needs.

As an example, you wouldn't have seen some of these NPS's before, I don't think. The last white one is for one of the remote Aboriginal communities. We've done a few for them now. This first pic is one of my favourite NPS's. Looking at them now, I can see how good SRW would have been though. The orange motorhome has been converted to SRW already.

4510343635_cb6b472925.jpg

4510980354_4890b1ba5c.jpg

4510977132_71afffea71.jpg

4510327667_a51e5b7c82.jpg

BTW We are looking at some big mining jobs and now that we are getting airbags on all the FG's , most of those will likely be FG's to due to the price. The mine vehicles get abused like you would not believe and as a result they will change the cab chassis and swap the bodies over every 2 years probably. So that's quite a saving with that sort of turnover.

4480868359_ceb7e4579d.jpg

Last edited:

whatcharterboat

Well young Chris here at work just picked up a really straight, low k's, "02, 637 Crewcab as a bit of a project. Not sure what the plans are for it yet. This was how it looked when he bought it last week. He's already ripped all the suspension out. moved the crossmembers around and fitted longer springs. The big work tray and bull bar were the first things to go. Possibly will end up bobbed with plenty of barwork and maybe side skirts between the wheels.

I'll post some more pics up later.

4480864869_b72b6415ac_o.jpg

4480864803_0a4fb895b5_o.jpg

Could this be the start of "The Battle of the Workshop Trucks"? A kind of East VS West thing? Lol.:wings:

Last edited:

alan

Explorer
Well young Chris here at work just picked up a really straight, low k's, "02, 637 Crewcab as a bit of a project. Not sure what the plans are for it yet. This was how it looked when he bought it last week. He's already ripped all the suspension out. moved the crossmembers around and fitted longer springs. The big work tray and bull bar were the first things to go. Possibly will end up bobbed with plenty of barwork and maybe side skirts between the wheels.

4480864869_b72b6415ac_o.jpg

4480864803_0a4fb895b5_o.jpg

Could this be the start of "The Battle of the Workshop Trucks"? A kind of East VS West thing? Lol.:wings:

Sounds like a good idea! I should be starting mine very soon

whatcharterboat

Hey Alan.

Sounds like a good idea!

What does? Who builds the best workshop hack wins? I thinks everyone will have a long way to go to beat Andrew's green crewcab. Haha.

alan

Explorer
Nothing like a challenge! and it may also help get my act together and start the project.
The most custom made functional capable off road expedition vehicle wins!!
a free trip to Disneyland:)

fgcrazy

Tell him no doing any swappsys with parts off mine John ill see you next week they say my truck will be ready. cheers Fingers crossed Tony

whatcharterboat

Tell him no doing any swappsys with parts off mine

I was wondering where he found that turbo?

John ill see you next week they say my truck will be ready. cheers Fingers crossed Tony
Tony, Ring first. Customs are still x-raying the container. At least they're in the same country now!! We were hoping to get the box last Thursday, now it looks like Tuesday. Have over a 100 wheels accounted for already, including yours. What a hassle. We weren't 100% sure about the Toyo's in the beginning. Just had a good hunch about how they'd go but after seeing how they have been lasting on the tour buses I can say they are the best thing we've found so far as an allround tyre. One of our bus customers has one 649 on XZL's and a new 84 on Toyo's. They both run the Toolara State forest every day which has really sharp gravel that gets right into the tread ply. Their mechanic tells me the 649 gets about one flat every week and the driver's don't want to take it. The 84 has had one flat in 6 months. BTW this will give you an idea of the conditions I'm talking about >>>> they run Cruisers as well . They used to get 2 flats a day, so they traveled in convoy. Once 2 Cruisers got flats at the same time. !!! AND they've only had one flat Toyo so far.

Any way the Toyo's on the 84 have done over 50kk's at the present time and look like they'll go for a lot longer yet. That's about all they get out of the XZL's, that is if they don't get damaged when they get a flat. I have seen them stretch the XZL's to 65kk's but they weren't exactly legal past 50. All I'm trying to say is it's a good comparison when you have 2 vehicles, almost the same in specification and doing the trip every day (about 100k's of that gravel, 150k's of soft sand and 50k's of sealed road).

Anyway, it'll be good to catch up. I'll only be at work till the end of next week. Then have to teach at school for 5 weeks. Part of my uni study. Back fulltime again after that though.

Want to hear something funny. We had to jump start your truck the other day when the Cruise control was going in. Ian had the boss's brand new Hilux parked next to yours for the jump. When your's fired up, cause it had been sitting for a while and you don't have a rain flap over your vertical exhaust stack, it blew a heap of oily , sooty, greasy water straight into the ute. Not good. Velour and diesel oil don't mix!!!!!! You know that new car smell. Well it doesn't have it anymore. Lol.

Last edited:

haven

Expedition Leader
"the [Michelin ZXL] gets about one flat every week ... the [Toyo] has had one flat in 6 months."

Wow! Good information to have! Just to confirm, the Toyo tire we're talking about is the M608Z 285/70R 19.5, 36 inches high, correct?

Whatcharterboat posted this photo of the M608Z 9 months ago. The photo shows an extra layer of rubber around the base of the tread blocks where they meet the tire casing. This extra layer is supposed to reduce the chance that a stone will become lodged in the tread, possibly leading to a puncture.

3635342584_7f54fdce8b_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven