Alu-Cab Has Landed In The USA!

Redman333

Adventurer
So I am looking at getting the gamiviti roof rack. Would the receiver mounts for awnings be something I can use with the shadow awning or would I need something else. I was really hoping to use the receiver mounts so I could quickly take the awning on and off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Shoot me an email (rino@ok4wd.com) and I can help you out with your setup. I will be back on Tuesday :)

fireball

Explorer
My shadow awning is still sitting on the shop floor because of the very same reason.

Rin, if you decide to make mounts for the gamiviti, looks like you'll now have at least two buyers!

Redman333

Adventurer
Yes for sure! I sent you an email rino.

Hey fireball do you have the awning receiver mounts on your rack?

harbinger808

Adventurer
My shadow awning is still sitting on the shop floor because of the very same reason.

Rin, if you decide to make mounts for the gamiviti, looks like you'll now have at least two buyers!

Mine sat in our garage for several months before I was able to have something fabricated to my roof rack... but once its up, you'll be using it a lot as we do :)

fireball

Explorer
I have the Gamiviti quick release mounts. They are very nice. Pretty sure they won't be strong enough for the Alucab awning. Work great with our current arb awning though.

Redman333

Adventurer
I have the Gamiviti quick release mounts. They are very nice. Pretty sure they won't be strong enough for the Alucab awning. Work great with our current arb awning though.

I didn't think they'd be strong enough as is but I was hoping to still be able to use them. Modify them somehow. I have no idea what they look like since I don't have the rack yet so it's hard for me to picture what could be done.

SonnyApril

VW

Here's a couple pics of ours mounted, had to fabricate a funky bracket to clear that pop top. The original plan was to mount it off the gutter only but that was not cutting it, way to much weight leveraged out

Attachments

• IMG_7055.jpg
    IMG_7055.jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7606.jpg
    IMG_7606.jpg
    574.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

Scoutman

Explorer
Interesting to see how many have this awning and have it sitting on the garage floor. I was in the same boat for a few months but have recently started fab'ing a mount for my bed rack. Getting it in just the right spot is definitely a challenge as is making a mount beefy enough to handle the weight and leverage.

c968aaf2068398b37cd3953edd495993.jpg

63d8565db9de385c82cac2164cf5039e.jpg

So for those who have had theirs mounted and used for a bit. Do you see any issue with flipping (swapping may be a better term) the 3rd and 4th support arms making the last arm lower than the next to last? If I'm thinking about this right the only issue is that it changes the way the fabric folds up right? I realize my bushings are out of sequence but this is what I'm talking about. If that last bar can be lower like in the picture then the spring rod for the tent will not be covered and will nestle up nicely to the tent base.

4e5d079fc248851be7ecaa0d12644373.jpg

Scoutman

Explorer
I'm sure you know about the disassembly, as we took ours apart to paint each part. Easy enough to put back out of order. Yes, you would be correct in the folds of the fabric. I doubt it would effect much though.

Where we have an issue is in the tracks that the corded ends of the fabric. They keep sliding out of the tracks. Not all the way but enough to cause a sag in the awning when deployed. It makes it hard to make it taught even with the vertical bar. \\

Your angle steel there should be perfect. Just make sure its welded and not just tacked up there. Its not cold rolled steel right? Want something with some rigidity to it. If you have one a little wider, or weld a plate to your current one. I would hit that second set of holes for the hinge for added support since that is where all the torque is.

No, it's not cold rolled steel and it should be pretty rigid when it's fully welded on. Definitely no tack's here, not for something this heavy bouncing around. I'll look at it to see if I can get the second set of holes.

As for your corded edge sliding around in the channel, can you drill a few small pilot holes in the channel and 'lock' the cord in place with some short stainless steel screws? Does it only shift when it's folded up or when it's deployed?

rino

Here's a couple pics of ours mounted, had to fabricate a funky bracket to clear that pop top. The original plan was to mount it off the gutter only but that was not cutting it, way to much weight leveraged out

That is awesome right there!

rino

Interesting to see how many have this awning and have it sitting on the garage floor. I was in the same boat for a few months but have recently started fab'ing a mount for my bed rack. Getting it in just the right spot is definitely a challenge as is making a mount beefy enough to handle the weight and leverage.

c968aaf2068398b37cd3953edd495993.jpg

63d8565db9de385c82cac2164cf5039e.jpg

So for those who have had theirs mounted and used for a bit. Do you see any issue with flipping (swapping may be a better term) the 3rd and 4th support arms making the last arm lower than the next to last? If I'm thinking about this right the only issue is that it changes the way the fabric folds up right? I realize my bushings are out of sequence but this is what I'm talking about. If that last bar can be lower like in the picture then the spring rod for the tent will not be covered and will nestle up nicely to the tent base.

4e5d079fc248851be7ecaa0d12644373.jpg

For that mounting setup you will need to utilize four of the six bolt holes in the stainless hinge for support.

I haven't personally tried flipping the arms, but interested to know your thoughts on performance.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, I'm happy to help! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77