Alu-Cab Has Landed In The USA!

Redman333

Adventurer
I don't think Rin and Ok4wd sell the brackets needed for a gamiviti rack. If they do I will surely buy a set!

They said they do when I talked to them last but I had to put my awning purchase on hold so I never did anything with it. I still have sent seen any pics of the bracket though. I'd love to see what it looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
I sent them a PM and an email. So far I have received nothing.

Perhaps they built a product, posted it on expo and now do not want to sell it to customers or respond to them!

Tom is on a trip in Utah after Expo, give him a minute to respond. :)

Finally, after months of debating, and a few mishaps. I have the shadow installed on my 5th gen with Baja flat rack.
Extra special thanks to Jerdog for helping with the install.
I am pleased with the product but have a few suggestions for Alucab if they are willing to listen.

1st I am happy with the product and glad I finally pulled the trigger.

2nd I had to drill my holes into the bag to get it to go on. Not a hard process but a little weird, other awnings have a solution for this.

3rd the mounting holes are pre determined, instead, a full slide track option would be nice, but I assume because of the weight of this behemoth, that may not be an option?

4th mounting. It is big, and heavy, but I understand why. It's not an awning that one person can easily mount and dismount. It is at a minimum 2 person job, 3 is best, and it takes about 45 minutes to install. A quick connect mounting option would be nice. (Universal for all roofracks if possible)

5th I had to drill a hole and use a pop rivet tool to install the pull strap. That was annoying, it should already been in place.

In the end, I am happy and will report back after a full season of use.

The awning requires a bolted mount, not a little aluminum extrusion with T bolts. Think expedition not recreation, function over form.

The strap must be riveted as every awning, rack and vehicle will require a different location.

How do you suggest a universal mount to work with every rack? ;)

Anyone thought maybe they are in transit to OEXW

?

Yes thank you, 2,350 miles each way towing!

We picked up our Alu-Cab Shadow Awning at OEXW and installed it at our campsite at the expo! Carried that sucker all the way back to the farthest camp site. It's not bad install at all. My girlfriend and I had it up in about 2hrs with limited tools and working under the pine trees.

You guys were awesome and hope you are enjoying your awning!

Do you recommend a rack other than the Rhino Pioneer for the Alu-Cab Shadow?

I'm looking to outfit my FJ Cruiser with a new aluminum platform rack and was leaning towards the Rhino Pioneer. I was also looking at awnings and the AluCab Shadow was at the top of the list.

Did you solve this problem in a satisfactory manner?

My first choice would be a Front Runner, however we do now have Rhino Rack mounts that work very well. I have them on my Jeep for R&D and I'm very happy.

Nope. Why post here then trying to sell them when they won't be available to be contacted. In their post it says contact us. No one here initiated the sale, they did. So if they were going to be busy all they would have e to say is we will be in transit so allow for slower replies or don't post at all and wait until they are ready to actually be contacted.

Contact Tom and I'm sure he will be in touch as soon as he has returned. The mounts for the niche rack he builds to order, so if you are in a heavy rush I suggest possibly another option.

I don't think Rin and Ok4wd sell the brackets needed for a gamiviti rack. If they do I will surely buy a set!

Correct, these are something Tom at Adventure Ready whipped up. Not a standard Alu-Cab product, there for built to order by him.

Redman333

Adventurer
No rush for me but would like to see how these mount before ordering an awning. I haven't decided which awning I want to get yet. Originally I really wanted the alucab awning but due to the mounting issues I kind of backed off a bit. You say form over function when thinking about mounting yet I don't really like that. I prefer to have both form and function. I already know Im going with the gamiviti rack but not sure on the awning yet. The only pics I've seen so far are sort of large mounting brackets. Almost overkill to me at least. I also have not seen a single image of the awning or the brackets on the gamiviti rack. I'll hold out though and wait on them to get back to me.

fireball

Explorer
Rin - thanks for the reply.

Lest I get stereotyped into "that guy" or "that customer" I sent Tom a PM and an email on 5/2 right after he posted. It's been two weeks with no response. Another poster above notes that "Tom stopped responding to him" so perhaps his communication skills could use some work.

That said, the awning has been on my garage floor for over a year now so I have no problem continuing to wait :) And I appreciate your efforts in keeping the thread updated and responding quickly with useful information. If I can get my hands on some brackets and get my awning mounted to my rack, I am certain you will see a few more sales from the 80 and 100 and 200 series LC folks who are very happily using the Gamiviti rack. Other than the bit of extra weight over other awnings and the mounting concerns, the SHADOW has gotten excellent reviews and with you and your company supporting the product I'm sure more folks will be grabbing one and mounting it up!

Thanks,
Ben

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Hi Rin,

Hope all is going great.
What are the chances Alu-Cab would consider making a larger Awning? Really like their design, but it's just too small for my use.
Something in the 2400mm-2500mm range width off the front and back would be perfect. Right hand mount (for my application).
This would allow room for a pic-nic table to sit underneath, with bug screens all around.
The closest to this is the Manta. It's nice, but doesn't have the reflective material, the angled top for water drainage, or the squared off back. But it will fit our needs... barely.

Before I end up with the Manta, I thought I'd run this by you to see if they'd be willing to build a "Super-Sized because... 'Merica" version. :)

Thanks amigo!

rino

Hi Rin,

Hope all is going great.
What are the chances Alu-Cab would consider making a larger Awning? Really like their design, but it's just too small for my use.
Something in the 2400mm-2500mm range width off the front and back would be perfect. Right hand mount (for my application).
This would allow room for a pic-nic table to sit underneath, with bug screens all around.
The closest to this is the Manta. It's nice, but doesn't have the reflective material, the angled top for water drainage, or the squared off back. But it will fit our needs... barely.

Before I end up with the Manta, I thought I'd run this by you to see if they'd be willing to build a "Super-Sized because... 'Merica" version. :)

Thanks amigo!

Thanks for the consideration! The shadow awn is only available in 2600mm, not sure if you found other information out there.

Let me know if you have any questions I can assist with or ideas for mounting.

-Rin

rino

Rin - thanks for the reply.

Lest I get stereotyped into "that guy" or "that customer" I sent Tom a PM and an email on 5/2 right after he posted. It's been two weeks with no response. Another poster above notes that "Tom stopped responding to him" so perhaps his communication skills could use some work.

That said, the awning has been on my garage floor for over a year now so I have no problem continuing to wait :) And I appreciate your efforts in keeping the thread updated and responding quickly with useful information. If I can get my hands on some brackets and get my awning mounted to my rack, I am certain you will see a few more sales from the 80 and 100 and 200 series LC folks who are very happily using the Gamiviti rack. Other than the bit of extra weight over other awnings and the mounting concerns, the SHADOW has gotten excellent reviews and with you and your company supporting the product I'm sure more folks will be grabbing one and mounting it up!

Thanks,
Ben

Ben,

I will bust his chops when he returns from Utah, sorry for the delays from him!

I agree, honestly if we could get our hands on a rack for 2 days I would feel comfortable creating a set for the Shadow Awn. (Any locals interested?)

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the consideration! The shadow awn is only available in 2600mm, not sure if you found other information out there.

Let me know if you have any questions I can assist with or ideas for mounting.

-Rin

Hi Rin,
I got the dimensions from the OK4WD web site. 69" is only about 1753mm.
Here is the dimensional diagram I've been looking at:
http://ok4wd.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/168140/image/180171/
Is this still the correct size for the current awning?

We are looking for an awning that is more in the 84" plus range off the side, and the back. Which is why I'd asked if they would consider making a larger version.
If the Shadow awning is really 2600mm off the side and back, that would be great!
Thanks,

Scott

rino

Hi Rin,
I got the dimensions from the OK4WD web site. 69" is only about 1753mm.
Here is the dimensional diagram I've been looking at:
http://ok4wd.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/168140/image/180171/
Is this still the correct size for the current awning?

We are looking for an awning that is more in the 84" plus range off the side, and the back. Which is why I'd asked if they would consider making a larger version.
If the Shadow awning is really 2600mm off the side and back, that would be great!
Thanks,

Scott

Scott,

I'm sorry man, I thought you were speaking of the total length of the body itself. The usable space on the Jeep JKU is fantastic, it covers from the driver side door past the tailgate when opened. It also comes straight from the tailgate, covering your whole rear area as appose to 45* off the tailgate area. Hope this helps!

-Rin

2nd I had to drill my holes into the bag to get it to go on. Not a hard process but a little weird, other awnings have a solution for this.

4th mounting. It is big, and heavy, but I understand why. It's not an awning that one person can easily mount and dismount. It is at a minimum 2 person job, 3 is best, and it takes about 45 minutes to install. A quick connect mounting option would be nice. (Universal for all roofracks if possible)

5th I had to drill a hole and use a pop rivet tool to install the pull strap. That was annoying, it should already been in place.

I totally agree with 2, 4 and 5. I thought it was weird to have to make my own holes also, but this is the first awning I've had where it didn't have 1-2 mounting channels on the outside for a quick install. Love the awning, but it was indeed a pain to get on. The rivet thing was just plain silly. Clearly should have had the tightening strap pre-installed.

If you did not have to pop holes in the bag, the mounting would not be "universal". I used the set of holes that lined up with where I wanted to put the front bracket.

The design is strong. Strong things weigh more. Personally, I would not buy anything else available with the exception of a full race trailer canopy like this http://www.canopyguy.com/index.cfm?template=vinyl. I hate cheap flimsy crap.

Once you have your holes/brackets figured out, you can install and remove in about 45 seconds with 2 people and an impact. I just pulled one of mine off to start the linex process.

Someone also mentioned they wanted the awning bigger. I agree bigger is always better with shade. That is why I did one awning on each side of the truck. But remember that weight will go up exponentially with added cantilevered length. Regardless of weight of the awning itself, also realize that the added size and weight require dramatically escalating strength of the thing you mount it to. Some people have the luxury of a roll cage going to the vehicle frame, but you dont need any more stress on these SUV hard tops. Especially fiberglass ones.

justbecause

perpetually lost
is this happening instead of the ossewa camper? or are both going to be available?

Alu-Cab%20Khaya%20Camper%20%20SHadow%20Awning_zps6t0uni9e.jpg

A little teaser for you Tacoma guys :)

Will the Ossewa be available for 2nd and 3rd gen Tacoma in the near future?

We are looking at spring - summer of 2017 at this time, after going down in January we will have a better idea. :)

any price info yet?

jgatliff

Father, Husband, Outdoorsman, & Adventurer.
So if you wanted to order a canopy and color match your vehicle, what would be the best option? Special order silver and wrap it or go with textured black and?

rino

Both will eventually be available, but the Khaya will be landing first. We plan to release it at Overland Expo East :D

rino

So if you wanted to order a canopy and color match your vehicle, what would be the best option? Special order silver and wrap it or go with textured black and?
The silver would be much easier to wrap as it is a smooth finish, versus the textured black. What color is the truck?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77