Alu-Cab Has Landed In The USA!

jgatliff

Father, Husband, Outdoorsman, & Adventurer.
Rin,
It's a Toyota, magnetic gray metallic. It's the one pulling my trailer that you and I worked on the parking lot at ovEx east last year!

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
Mounting the bag over the awning

I ordered a R.H. side Shadow Awning with the wall kit. It came last week and I'm in the process of pre-installing the Shadow on my '94 Land Cruiser. By this I mean, beefing up my existing Yakama (gutter mount) System. It's actually going quite well - better then I expected.

Rin, looking ahead to the installation, which has to be quite the challenge, since Alu-Cab provides no instructions. How is the outside bag installed? Since it comes separate from the awning, with no holes for the mounting bolts. Do you just put the awning in the bag, with mounting bolts in position on the awning and zip it up on the ground and cut holes where you feel the mounting bolts are, through the bag? Then, mount the awning on rig with bag in place. I can't see any other way to do it.

I ordered a R.H. side Shadow Awning with the wall kit. It came last week and I'm in the process of pre-installing the Shadow on my '94 Land Cruiser. By this I mean, beefing up my existing Yakama (gutter mount) System. It's actually going quite well - better then I expected.

Rin, looking ahead to the installation, which has to be quite the challenge, since Alu-Cab provides no instructions. How is the outside bag installed? Since it comes separate from the awning, with no holes for the mounting bolts. Do you just put the awning in the bag, with mounting bolts in position on the awning and zip it up on the ground and cut holes where you feel the mounting bolts are, through the bag? Then, mount the awning on rig with bag in place. I can't see any other way to do it.

First figure out which holes you are using without the cover on.
Then put the cover on it, and fully zip it up, and make sure its straight and not twisted(Not hard).
Then, measure to your chosen set of holes.
Find the hole with your finger, you can feel where the hole is rather precisely through the cover.
Take your pocket knife, and poke the hole.
Done.

Mounting the awning with the cover on is a bit trickier. the arms need to be somewhat folded out to access some of the holes, and the cover needs to be unzipped.
Have 2 of your stronger buddies hold it, while you fish the bolts in. All you need is one bolt started on each end, and it will hold itself up, while you get the rest in.

Not sure if I would recommend using this awning on a Yakima gutter mount. when deployed, 99% of that cantilevered load goes through the end with the pivot point. If you attach to just a Yakima tube there, all that load might go to only one gutter clamp. be careful.

Last edited:

fireball

Explorer
Rin,

No word from the guy on the awning mounts.

Are you guys instererested in making some mounts and installing my awning!

Lemme know please!

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
First figure out which holes you are using without the cover on.
Then put the cover on it, and fully zip it up, and make sure its straight and not twisted(Not hard).
Then, measure to your chosen set of holes.
Find the hole with your finger, you can feel where the hole is rather precisely through the cover.
Take your pocket knife, and poke the hole.
Done.

Mounting the awning with the cover on is a bit trickier. the arms need to be somewhat folded out to access some of the holes, and the cover needs to be unzipped.
Have 2 of your stronger buddies hold it, while you fish the bolts in. All you need is one bolt started on each end, and it will hold itself up, while you get the rest in.

Not sure if I would recommend using this awning on a Yakima gutter mount. when deployed, 99% of that cantilevered load goes through the end with the pivot point. If you attach to just a Yakima tube there, all that load might go to only one gutter clamp. be careful.
Thanks, DJ for your help!!

Also, thank you for your your advice on the Yakima system. Believe me, it has me very concerned. However, at this point I must confess that the Shadow was purchased to eventually go on an Expo trailer such as a Lead Dog 4x4 with their roof rack: http://www.leaddogmotorsports.com/products/5x8-off-road-dog-house/ I think I can get it to work on my Land Cruiser, while I'm saving up $ for the trailer. I'll post pics if I'm successful. Suffice it to say, 1/4" aluminum is being used :rolleyes: not to mention serious load distribution concerns in the design.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Rin,
It's a Toyota, magnetic gray metallic. It's the one pulling my trailer that you and I worked on the parking lot at ovEx east last year!

Oh Jason! No doubt, have you checked out the Mountain State Overland Tacoma? They eventually wrapped the canopy in a metallic wrap and it looked awesome, but honestly the black looks great IMO.

IMG_1332_zpskmrvgzgj.jpg

rino

Yes you have the right idea and Diesel Junkie thank you for the explanation!

I also would be a little concerned about the Yakima gutter mounts, I really would suggest a set of Front Runner mounts and Alu-Cab load bars. We now have mounts that connect the Shadow Awn directly to the Alu-Cab load bars making it a bolt on install for you with proven parts. LMK if I can be of assistance!

80t0ylc

Hill & Gully Rider
.....I also would be a little concerned about the Yakima gutter mounts, I really would suggest a set of Front Runner mounts and Alu-Cab load bars. We now have mounts that connect the Shadow Awn directly to the Alu-Cab load bars making it a bolt on install for you with proven parts. LMK if I can be of assistance!
Thank you for your concern, Rin. I'm in the middle of fabbing my version of an Alu-Cab Shadow Awn to Yakima system mount. I currently have a CVT Mt. Baker hard shell RTT on the Yakima system. I looked at the Front Runner mounts, roof rack and Alu-Cab load bars on some websites, but want to pursue my project. It's going slowly working on it a couple hours a day, but I'm making good progress and am confident that it will support the awning.

rino

Thank you for your concern, Rin. I'm in the middle of fabbing my version of an Alu-Cab Shadow Awn to Yakima system mount. I currently have a CVT Mt. Baker hard shell RTT on the Yakima system. I looked at the Front Runner mounts, roof rack and Alu-Cab load bars on some websites, but want to pursue my project. It's going slowly working on it a couple hours a day, but I'm making good progress and am confident that it will support the awning.

No doubt, excited to see what you whip up. Feel free to reach out if i can help.

You might want to think about building a HD bumper, and running a post up from there to mount the awing.
Maybe integrate a swing out tire carrier, and other stuff.
Just a though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smithmds77