Am i reading this correctly? 2016 taco still has rear drum brakes...

moonshiner

Observer
And why is it every time someone posts something even remotely critical or questioning of the Tacoma, you have to chime in with a counter-argument which validates and reinforces the Tacoma's supposed superiority over the Colorado?

Just stating facts.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Very cool if it comes to market, but will it go 300,000 without much fuss? Believe that is the concern of long time Toyota owners, we are used to not really having to do much to our Yotas. Diesel and boxed frame means nothing if the $1000 fuel pump and $3000 injectors go out at 100,000 miles, how much is that DEF system going to cost to replace...$3-4000?

That and it is going to cost $40K plus (closer to $50K I am guessing)....that really can't haul anything, payload is only 1600 lbs. IIRC. Sure there is a model with a 2000 lbs payload, but that is the WT with a bed delete...and no diesel available in the WT...and no diesel with the Extra Cab.

For $15K less you can buy a base Tacoma, that can't really haul anything either...but most likely it won't need much to go 300,000 miles.

I am not getting any younger, not sure I can wait and see if the Colorado will be a good reliable truck, and especially not for $40-50K, just not seeing the value. Maybe if they offered it in the WT model like the Ram and get the price point closer to $30K I could see it....even then I don't know, all my diesel owner buddies, just complain about the repair cost with their trucks.

I've had several Toyotas non of them hit 200k without a fairly large outlay of cash to fix stuff. The one domestic in the family pushing 280,000 miles has had nothing but basics, but since about 250,000 it stays in town, everything is equally worn out. You wont find very many people doing big trips in vehicles regardless of brand pushing 250,000 miles without sizable worn out replacement projects.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
GM does offer a WT range with the Colorado/canyon. I actually fooled with the online build tool last night. Some how my Canyon Diesel came out cheaper than my Colorado diesel. Its possible per the site to set up a fairly well equipped diesel canyon 4x4 and be in the same price range as my wifes 2016 Ford Fusion Titanium plugin Hybrid with heated cooled seats high 30's low 40's price tag. We paid $100 over invoice at just above 35k. Three neighbors have purchased new yotas this past month not a single one was able to get much below 500 off msrp!!! If any of these brands are not selling for anything less than msrp I'll stick with my old subaru.

Clutch

<---Pass
GM does offer a WT range with the Colorado/canyon.

With the diesel? I played with the build your own last night as well, I couldn't make the diesel option work for me. Far as I can tell with no other options chosen, just the diesel, the up-charge is roughly $5600 on the 4WD, puts is at 38,900, and $6600 for the 2WD, at 35,000 respectively.

These midsizes were supposed to be cheap alternatives to fullsizes...not so cheap anymore. Though if you don't care about bling, a base 4WD 4 banger gasser still seems like a bargain.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
I've had several Toyotas non of them hit 200k without a fairly large outlay of cash to fix stuff. The one domestic in the family pushing 280,000 miles has had nothing but basics, but since about 250,000 it stays in town, everything is equally worn out. You wont find very many people doing big trips in vehicles regardless of brand pushing 250,000 miles without sizable worn out replacement projects.

What I am saying is, many long time Toyota owners are used to getting mega-miles out of them. It will take GM quite a while to build a reputation like that...and that is "if" it even happens. Even if the Colorado looks better on paper, is it really for the long term?

Americans tend to get bored fairly quick, so they tend to not hang on tho their vehicles very long, and most don't care about putting such mileage on a vehicle...it is an old formula that we are taught to keep the wheels of insatiable consumerism churning.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
With the diesel? I played with the build your own last night as well, I couldn't make the diesel option work for me. Far as I can tell with no other options chosen, just the diesel, the up-charge is roughly $5600 on the 4WD, puts is at 38,900, and $6600 for the 2WD, at 35,000 respectively.

These midsizes were supposed to be cheap alternatives to fullsizes...not so cheap anymore. Though if you don't care about bling, a base 4WD 4 banger gasser still seems like a bargain.

Cheaper than the the full sized rigs. Buddy bought a F150 2.7 4x4 4dr in August. Said he went around and around with 5 dealers he still paid over 40k and its sorta mid range regarding options. So a fairly loaded midsized with the costly engine choice just shy or just breaking 40k seems cheaper to me in comparison. But in my case size matters and full size is too damn big anyway.

calicamper

Expedition Leader

I found the site sorta wonky, ended up having better luck using Chrome. It was buggy using IE and Firefox.

cationmoted

Observer
Yes definitely. That's why the more overlanders buy Colorados than Tacomas. Colorados even have their section in the forum.

Depends on your definition of an overlander. Most toyota trucks crossing countries are hilux's, most going to off road parks are tacomas. Keep in mind this forum is a USA dominated forum with US vehicles representing that. The new colorado has only been out for a year, no?

Ask any overlander tacoma owner if they would trade their truck for a hilux and the answer would generally be quite clear. Through their engineering and design, chevy has made the new colorado the new American Hilux. The tacoma will continue to be a compromise when compared to a hilux.

Clutch

<---Pass
I found the site sorta wonky, ended up having better luck using Chrome. It was buggy using IE and Firefox.

I was using Chrome, didn't try Safari.

Cheaper than the the full sized rigs. Buddy bought a F150 2.7 4x4 4dr in August. Said he went around and around with 5 dealers he still paid over 40k and its sorta mid range regarding options. So a fairly loaded midsized with the costly engine choice just shy or just breaking 40k seems cheaper to me in comparison. But in my case size matters and full size is too damn big anyway.

It is all how you spec them, I can find a base model 4WD here around the low $30's...even some Ram's sub $30's (don't want a Ram *yikes!* ;) ).

Was trying to talk myself into a Fullsize...test drove and test drove, just really like the size of a mid-sizes. ACLB is darn near perfect for what I need it to do, we have no spawn...no need for a DC. Heck, it is mainly my dog and myself most of the time. The better half is usually too busy to escape.

bkg

Explorer
Licensed Civil Engineer. I design the structural system for commercial buildings. Clearly you have no idea what an engineer or consultant or politician is.

So using rear drum brakes when it meets all performance goals of the application is a weakness? Only a non-technical person trying to look technical would think that. You obviously have no grasp of how design decisions are made.

Hundreds of thousands (probably millions if you count Hilux too) have lived with that supposed "weakness" and have not come to doom. Most are probably quite satisfy with the longevity and performance of that "weakness".

Clearly, you're a people person...

so let me ask you this... Why is the Tacoma the only Toyota truck or SUV to run rear drums? If they meet the need, why are they not good enough for the rest of the Toyota field?

bkg

Explorer
I'm not poking fun at your occupation.

I'm disagreeing with your assessment of the Colorado's offroad worthiness....with a little sarcasm thrown in for good measure.

And why is it every time someone posts something even remotely critical or questioning of the Tacoma, you have to chime in with a counter-argument which validates and reinforces the Tacoma's supposed superiority over the Colorado?

Dude, just give it a rest. We're all Toyota customers here (at least in this sub-section of the forum)...but it's okay to acknowledge that other brands have good ideas from time to time.

:golfclap:

bkg

Explorer
Very cool if it comes to market, but will it go 300,000 without much fuss? Believe that is the concern of long time Toyota owners, we are used to not really having to do much to our Yotas. Diesel and boxed frame means nothing if the $1000 fuel pump and $3000 injectors go out at 100,000 miles, how much is that DEF system going to cost to replace...$3-4000?

That and it is going to cost $40K plus (closer to $50K I am guessing)....that really can't haul anything, payload is only 1600 lbs. IIRC. Sure there is a model with a 2000 lbs payload, but that is the WT with a bed delete...and no diesel available in the WT...and no diesel with the Extra Cab.

For $15K less you can buy a base Tacoma, that can't really haul anything either...but most likely it won't need much to go 300,000 miles.

I am not getting any younger, not sure I can wait and see if the Colorado will be a good reliable truck, and especially not for $40-50K, just not seeing the value. Maybe if they offered it in the WT model like the Ram and get the price point closer to $30K I could see it....even then I don't know, all my diesel owner buddies, just complain about the repair cost with their trucks.

not sure that's fair... Will all Toyota's go 300K? No... head gaskets, frames, cracked plastic boxes, balljoints, blah blah blah... all brands have issues.

bkg

Explorer
What I am saying is, many long time Toyota owners are used to getting mega-miles out of them. It will take GM quite a while to build a reputation like that...and that is "if" it even happens. Even if the Colorado looks better on paper, is it really for the long term?

I'll give this a solid "maybe" and add this...

Long term (insert favorite brand here) owners are used to getting...... it will take (insert a different brand here) quote a while to....

While the (new Tacoma) looks good on paper, is it really up for the long term?

Kind of busting your chops a bit... but when you're immersed in on brand, all others need to "measure up." Doesn't matter what the brand is - doesn't matter what the other brand is... there's likely just as loyal a community to (brand x) as we this community is to Toyota...

Americans tend to get bored fairly quick, so they tend to not hang on tho their vehicles very long, and most don't care about putting such mileage on a vehicle...it is an old formula that we are taught to keep the wheels of insatiable consumerism churning.

Truth.

Clutch

<---Pass
not sure that's fair... Will all Toyota's go 300K? No... head gaskets, frames, cracked plastic boxes, balljoints, blah blah blah... all brands have issues.

Will Toyotas go 300K?...no they'll go 500K. ;)

I really like that Colorado, sharp looking truck, not sure I would own one out of warranty though, the oil burner that is. When parts start to fail, not going to be cheap to fix.

I'll give this a solid "maybe" and add this...

Long term (insert favorite brand here) owners are used to getting...... it will take (insert a different brand here) quote a while to....

While the (new Tacoma) looks good on paper, is it really up for the long term?

Kind of busting your chops a bit... but when you're immersed in on brand, all others need to "measure up." Doesn't matter what the brand is - doesn't matter what the other brand is... there's likely just as loyal a community to (brand x) as we this community is to Toyota...

My father-in-law is a dyed in the wool GM guy, he has had great luck with his trucks, he won't buy anything else. Think it comes down to how well (or not so well) you treat a vehicle is to how long it last. But when you get used to a brand, you tend to stick with it. Afraid really...to try anything else.

bkg

Explorer
Will Toyotas go 300K?...no they'll go 500K. ;)

:p

I really like that Colorado, sharp looking truck, not sure I would own one out of warranty though, the oil burner that is. When parts start to fail, not going to be cheap to fix.

Specs are definitely great. I'm seeing a lot of them in Mid-TN. They always catch my eye and earn a "what is that? oh... Colorado.." it's the window and bed lines that seem so weird/cool for some reason.

My father-in-law is a dyed in the wool GM guy, he has had great luck with his trucks, he won't buy anything else. Think it comes down to how well (or not so well) you treat a vehicle is to how long it last. But when you get used to a brand, you tend to stick with it. Afraid really...to try anything else.

I had a chance to buy a '14 F150 platinum ecoboost from a friend who was moving across country... for less than trade value. 12K miles on it. After spending 700 miles in a '13 XLT and then getting back in my Tundra, I almost went for it.... But in the end, my buddy would have given it away to me for ~$4500 less than he was getting from the dealer after tax incentives... as much as I would have liked the truck, I couldn't do it in good conscience... Of the 50+ vehicles I've owned, it would be the first non-Toyota (or Lexus) in 15 years... ultimately, bilking a friend and not being able to tow the bobcat were the reasons not to go forward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk