Am i reading this correctly? 2016 taco still has rear drum brakes...

surlydiesel

Adventurer
and to answer the original post, yup they still have drum brakes. I'm ok with it. I have an 01 and an 09 with drum brakes.

-jorge

calicamper

Expedition Leader
When I mentioned "fan boy," I wasn't referring to you....but all the same, my apologies if I offended you.

Now I need to go drive my 4runner for an hour to make up for all of my transgressions against the brand.
Having owned three yotas the past 10yrs and a 2016 Ford with yota hybrid gear I qualify as a fan boy, but like what I see other brands doing the Colorado is a nice machine to drive, not everyone needs a jeep with a pickup bed aka Taco.

bkg

Explorer
moonshiner - what do you do for a living? Clearly not an engineer... I'm guessing consultant or politician...

If you can't acknowledge that Toyota has weaknesses... you're doomed to live with those weaknesses...

moonshiner

Observer
moonshiner - what do you do for a living? Clearly not an engineer... I'm guessing consultant or politician...

If you can't acknowledge that Toyota has weaknesses... you're doomed to live with those weaknesses...

Licensed Civil Engineer. I design the structural system for commercial buildings. Clearly you have no idea what an engineer or consultant or politician is.

So using rear drum brakes when it meets all performance goals of the application is a weakness? Only a non-technical person trying to look technical would think that. You obviously have no grasp of how design decisions are made.

Hundreds of thousands (probably millions if you count Hilux too) have lived with that supposed "weakness" and have not come to doom. Most are probably quite satisfy with the longevity and performance of that "weakness".

cationmoted

Observer
This is great. Going to chuck some fuel in so I can keep laughing tomorrow.

At the end of the day, the colorado is more utilitarian and functional to the non biased engineer or overlander and the tacoma is utilitarian and functional to the typical North American buyer. Who needs a diesel when you have a go pro mount?

Dalko43

Explorer
Drum brakes aside, since some people refuse to let that go, if I had to pick and choose between:

3.5L gas engine Tacoma that's using a design pretty similar to what it has used for the last 10 years

and

I4 turbo diesel, fully boxed frame, Colorado

I would have to give some serious consideration to the Chevy, despite my appreciation for Toyota products....especially if Chevy follows through and delivers this:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/chevrolet-colorado-zr2-concept-photos-and-info-news

On the face of things, that truck seems to have a lot more Hilux-DNA than the Tacoma....and heck, Chevy even removed that air dam so that civil engineers can officially "offroad" it without any problems...:ylsmoke:

moonshiner

Observer
At the end of the day, the colorado is more utilitarian and functional to the non biased engineer or overlander and the tacoma is utilitarian and functional to the typical North American buyer. Who needs a diesel when you have a go pro mount?

Yes definitely. That's why the more overlanders buy Colorados than Tacomas. Colorados even have their section in the forum.

moonshiner

Observer
....and heck, Chevy even removed that air dam so that civil engineers can officially "offroad" it without any problems...:ylsmoke:

How ironic...now you're poking fun at my occupation (which have no bearing on this discussion anyway)...and you're the one who said they wanted to have a civilized discussion.

Dalko43

Explorer
How ironic...now you're poking fun at my occupation (which have no bearing on this discussion anyway)...and you're the one who said they wanted to have a civilized discussion.

I'm not poking fun at your occupation.

I'm disagreeing with your assessment of the Colorado's offroad worthiness....with a little sarcasm thrown in for good measure.

And why is it every time someone posts something even remotely critical or questioning of the Tacoma, you have to chime in with a counter-argument which validates and reinforces the Tacoma's supposed superiority over the Colorado?

Dude, just give it a rest. We're all Toyota customers here (at least in this sub-section of the forum)...but it's okay to acknowledge that other brands have good ideas from time to time.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Drum brakes aside, since some people refuse to let that go, if I had to pick and choose between:

3.5L gas engine Tacoma that's using a design pretty similar to what it has used for the last 10 years

and

I4 turbo diesel, fully boxed frame, Colorado

I would have to give some serious consideration to the Chevy, despite my appreciation for Toyota products....especially if Chevy follows through and delivers this:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/chevrolet-colorado-zr2-concept-photos-and-info-news

On the face of things, that truck seems to have a lot more Hilux-DNA than the Tacoma....and heck, Chevy even removed that air dam so that civil engineers can officially "offroad" it without any problems...:ylsmoke:

Very cool if it comes to market, but will it go 300,000 without much fuss? Believe that is the concern of long time Toyota owners, we are used to not really having to do much to our Yotas. Diesel and boxed frame means nothing if the $1000 fuel pump and $3000 injectors go out at 100,000 miles, how much is that DEF system going to cost to replace...$3-4000?

That and it is going to cost $40K plus (closer to $50K I am guessing)....that really can't haul anything, payload is only 1600 lbs. IIRC. Sure there is a model with a 2000 lbs payload, but that is the WT with a bed delete...and no diesel available in the WT...and no diesel with the Extra Cab.

For $15K less you can buy a base Tacoma, that can't really haul anything either...but most likely it won't need much to go 300,000 miles.

I am not getting any younger, not sure I can wait and see if the Colorado will be a good reliable truck, and especially not for $40-50K, just not seeing the value. Maybe if they offered it in the WT model like the Ram and get the price point closer to $30K I could see it....even then I don't know, all my diesel owner buddies, just complain about the repair cost with their trucks.

Last edited:

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Are drum brakes really less expensive to manufacture than disc brakes? Seems like there are a lot more parts to a drum brake setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online