Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Looks good! :26_7_2:
Thanks, indeed it came out nicely.
I spent some time under the truck to transfer and secure the hose but it wasn't complicated.
The hose is inside foam pipe insulation and I found enough space between the chassis and the box
to slide him thru and keep it away from the rotating drive shaft.

patoz

Expedition Leader
That is looking very clean and sanitary. Well done!
PS--I assume you'll be strapping the fuel can down, and putting the nozzle into the can vs sticking out from the can?

Good point Jeremy! Perhaps an upright divider next to the can to create it's own little space would be in order.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Good point Jeremy! Perhaps an upright divider next to the can to create it's own little space would be in order.
Yes, the fuel can will be strapped, I put it there for the pic.
I bought today extra straps.
The nozzle is special for fuel tanks.
You have to rotate one way to be able to press in a strong spring to pour the gasoline.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Dinner is ready . . . in a few more days.

Two 5 gallon grey water tanks.
SHURflo 4008-101-E65 water pump.
20160214_165430_01.JPG
I still don't know how to finish the top of the countertop.

Last edited:

rlrenz

Explorer
Counter tops are a challenge. At the upper end, there's Corian, and at the lower end, Formica. Maple countertops are also popular, with IKEA a popular supplier.

One problem is that an ambulance action station countertop usually has about a 1" raised rim on it. If that rim wasn't needed, the cost would drop like a rock to use Corian. In my own case, I was quoted $800 for a 2x4' countertop with a raised rim in my ambulance. The fabrication costs are what really run the costs up on Corian - I priced doing the job myself, and the tooling and adhesives are expensive enough that I wouldn't save a lot with a 1-time use.

One option I like is to replace the raised edge with a flat edge. That way, I'd just need a flat piece of Corian for the top. If I can find the right sized remnant, the cost would probably be about $200-300 for the piece I need - and I like that a whole lot more than $800.

My backsplash is Formica right now, but I'm planning to replace it with some 20 gauge brush finished stainless.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Counter tops are a challenge. At the upper end, there's Corian, and at the lower end, Formica. Maple countertops are also popular, with IKEA a popular supplier.

One problem is that an ambulance action station countertop usually has about a 1" raised rim on it. If that rim wasn't needed, the cost would drop like a rock to use Corian. In my own case, I was quoted $800 for a 2x4' countertop with a raised rim in my ambulance. The fabrication costs are what really run the costs up on Corian - I priced doing the job myself, and the tooling and adhesives are expensive enough that I wouldn't save a lot with a 1-time use.

One option I like is to replace the raised edge with a flat edge. That way, I'd just need a flat piece of Corian for the top. If I can find the right sized remnant, the cost would probably be about $200-300 for the piece I need - and I like that a whole lot more than $800.

My backsplash is Formica right now, but I'm planning to replace it with some 20 gauge brush finished stainless.
I understand what you are talking about.
Right now my counter-top is a flat 3/4" plywood.
I need to cover the surface in a way that not every drop will leave a spot
and to be able to put a hot dish for a few seconds.
I wonder if this will do . . .
white-quarry-splitface-marble-mosaic-tile-17.jpg

Last edited:

mk216v

Der Chef der Fahrzeuge
I understand what you are talking about.
Right now my counter-top is a flat 3/4" plywood.
I need to cover the surface in a way that not every drop will leave a spot
and to be able to put a hot dish for a few seconds.
I wonder if this will do . . .
View attachment 330613

IMHO the grout lines would be a PITA to clean for a countertop.
I've been really happy with Solid Surface countertops.

not really ambulance related, but at my old house, we couldn't decide on a counter, so i went to a restaurant guy and had him make me a stainless steel counter. 9'4" x 44" with a 2" edge, and a 1/2" turn in. it also had a 17x26" sink that was 14" deep all welded in and smoothed, was stunning. first one he ever did for a residential application. this was about 10yrs ago, now its everywhere, but its the best counter I've ever had.

ETA: at the time the whole thing was only $800

HPIM1921.jpg

HPIM1928.jpg

yzeevy

Adventurer
not really ambulance related, but at my old house, we couldn't decide on a counter, so i went to a restaurant guy and had him make me a stainless steel counter. 9'4" x 44" with a 2" edge, and a 1/2" turn in. it also had a 17x26" sink that was 14" deep all welded in and smoothed, was stunning. first one he ever did for a residential application. this was about 10yrs ago, now its everywhere, but its the best counter I've ever had.

ETA: at the time the whole thing was only $800
I was thinking covering the plywood with aluminum.
What do you mean restaurant guy?

rlrenz

Explorer
I've also thought about stainless instead of Corian - around here in MN, the cheapest way is to go to someone who makes milk storage tanks if you only want a simple counter top, but the restaurant guys are still the go-to if you want a sink welded in as well.

yzeevy

Adventurer
I've also thought about stainless instead of Corian - around here in MN, the cheapest way is to go to someone who makes milk storage tanks if you only want a simple counter top, but the restaurant guys are still the go-to if you want a sink welded in as well.
I just came back from a SS guy.

To cover the 25"x35" plywood, bending the edges and cutting out the
two openings - no sink of course - $500 roughly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven