Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
To all participating in this thread.

The buyer can ask $100K for this ride, but the forum rules state that you may not comment on the asking price under any circumstance. Continuing this will result in a temporary ban.
Please move along.

Thanks

D

yzeevy

Adventurer
Universal Studios generator

That what Universal Studios using while out on a filming assignment, Honda 3000
20160128_155355_01.JPG
I was impressed how quiet he was.

yzeevy

Adventurer
20 Gallon water tank.

Bought from West Marin in Marina Del Rey.
They actually had it in stock.
20160204_164339_01.JPG
Now I have to build a floor above it and put back the generator.
5.jpg

Last edited:

yzeevy

Adventurer
Question

I want to order the mattress.
What would be the most practical upholstery material?

Thanks

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Depends what you want out of it. Sunbrella is heavily used in marine industry as it's resistant and quite waterproof. Maybe overkilled for some but I like it. Just make sure whatever you get is tight woven or everything will get caught in it (grass, splinters...), that's why a good vinyl isn't a bad choice.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Depends what you want out of it. Sunbrella is heavily used in marine industry as it's resistant and quite waterproof. Maybe overkilled for some but I like it. Just make sure whatever you get is tight woven or everything will get caught in it (grass, splinters...), that's why a good vinyl isn't a bad choice.
Thanks.

Its for a sofa-bed.
The only thing, these materials don't "breathe" and in warm days can cause you to sweat.

Last edited:

IPB

How easy/hard is it to take out the ambulance pieces that are built into the back? Just found an older SWAT vehicle
with the 7.3 but it has all the built ins in it and I have no idea how hard it will be to modify the interior to meet my needs.

rlrenz

Explorer
Ambulances are built for hard duty, and a long life. The interiors are definitely there to stay. When built, the manufacturer's basic body pretty much stays the same - the difference is in the interior arrangement and how the exterior cabinets are set up. Everything is screwed in place, and every interior piece is also screwed to each other. There is normally a bead of nearly indestructible sealant at every corner that usually needs a sharp utility knife to defeat to defeat.

The good news is things are normally screwed, and not glued.

When MNtal stripped out the interior on his Freightliner/Horton, I think he said that it took about 24 hours of work to empty.

When I removed some interior cabinetry in my Freightliner/Medic Master, there were about 7 screws per cabinet - the challenge was finding all 7 of them.

yzeevy

Adventurer
How easy/hard is it to take out the ambulance pieces that are built into the back? Just found an older SWAT vehicle
with the 7.3 but it has all the built ins in it and I have no idea how hard it will be to modify the interior to meet my needs.
I only opened two walls and it wasn't so easy.
The way my rig is built . . .
The outside is aluminum, the inside is 3/4" plywood and there is 1 1/2" space between.
The plywood is built with staple nails and long screws.
And then they cover everything with Formica, so you can't see where they are.
I believe there are hundreds of nasty staples that can cut you easily and ruin your tools.
So, if you use a jigsaw or any other cutting tool, use a METAL blade NOT wood.

Last edited:

IPB

Wow, great link, tons and tons of info!!

Ambulances are built for hard duty, and a long life. The interiors are definitely there to stay. When built, the manufacturer's basic body pretty much stays the same - the difference is in the interior arrangement and how the exterior cabinets are set up. Everything is screwed in place, and every interior piece is also screwed to each other. There is normally a bead of nearly indestructible sealant at every corner that usually needs a sharp utility knife to defeat to defeat.

The good news is things are normally screwed, and not glued.

When MNtal stripped out the interior on his Freightliner/Horton, I think he said that it took about 24 hours of work to empty.

When I removed some interior cabinetry in my Freightliner/Medic Master, there were about 7 screws per cabinet - the challenge was finding all 7 of them.
So patience is the key!

I only opened two walls and it wasn't so easy.
The way my rig is built . . .
The outside is aluminum, the inside is 3/4" plywood and there is 1 1/2" space between.
The plywood is built with staple nails and long screws.
And then they cover everything with Formica, so you can't see where they are.
I believe there are hundreds of nasty staples that can cut you easily and ruin your tools.
So, if you use a jigsaw or any other cutting tool, use a METAL blade NOT wood.
Thanks again. I am going to look at the SWAT vehicle to try to get a better idea of what I'm up against, then I need to make a decision between this and an EB van, which I'm having a hard time finding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven