Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

yzeevy

Adventurer
BED

So, after two quotes of $750, I bought my own material and found an
upholsterer and it cost me $330.
I think I should have go on 5 inch thickness.
20160225_144806_01.JPG
20160225_145310_01.JPG
20160225_145420_01.JPG

patoz

Expedition Leader
Looks good, but what is your plan for keeping the cushions from separating when you're sleeping on them?

I may end up doing something similiar, but if I do I'm going to have the upholster add a large YKK zipper on the bottom two edges between the back and seat cushions, so they can be zipped together when in bed mode. The zippers would run the full length of the bed and be on the bottom side when sleeping.

rlrenz

Explorer
The zippers sound good. One thought I've had is if it would be possible to size things so the cushions would slide into a sleeping bag, maybe a 2-person-sized bag. Stuff them in, zip the bag, and all ready for night.

This assumes that you would need cushions that would fit into an available bag, though.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Looks good, but what is your plan for keeping the cushions from separating when you're sleeping on them?

I may end up doing something similiar, but if I do I'm going to have the upholster add a large YKK zipper on the bottom two edges between the back and seat cushions, so they can be zipped together when in bed mode. The zippers would run the full length of the bed and be on the bottom side when sleeping.
First A mattress pad (maybe even waterproof??)
http://www.amazon.com/Bedsack-Class...1_12?s=bedbath&ie=UTF8&qid=1456502603&sr=1-12
and then a regular bed sheet

huskyhauler

Adventurer
Putting a mattress pad on at night, and then taking it off in the morning, is A LOT more work than necessary for this sort of hybrid bed setup. The entire mattress needs to be connected via a zipper or a strip of cloth sewing the four pieces together. Plus, in order for the mattress cover to hold those cushions together and keep a 200 pound person from slipping between them will require a substantially smaller mattress cover, which will be an extreme pain in the behind to put on and take off.

IKEA sells a futon mattress that is split down the middle for around $80. Thrown on a 2" memory foam topper from CostCo and you're sleeping on golden feather meant for the kings for under $200 with sheets, and the entire unit folds down or up in seconds.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Putting a mattress pad on at night, and then taking it off in the morning, is A LOT more work than necessary for this sort of hybrid bed setup. The entire mattress needs to be connected via a zipper or a strip of cloth sewing the four pieces together. Plus, in order for the mattress cover to hold those cushions together and keep a 200 pound person from slipping between them will require a substantially smaller mattress cover, which will be an extreme pain in the behind to put on and take off.

IKEA sells a futon mattress that is split down the middle for around $80. Thrown on a 2" memory foam topper from CostCo and you're sleeping on golden feather meant for the kings for under $200 with sheets, and the entire unit folds down or up in seconds.
Well, its too late for IKEA and I guess practice is more realistic then any theory.
I always can add a strip of Velcro.

patoz

Expedition Leader

I always can add a strip of Velcro.

If velcro can be sewn on, so can a zipper.

Two inch Velcro will require much more stitching, including 'box stitching' along its length, to be sure it's strong enough. I don't know of any adhesive backed Velcro that will stick to cloth, and still be strong enough to withstand the force of separating on a regular basis. Plus, sitting or sleeping on it will cause it to wrinkle up adding even more force to it. Velcro also wears out through use and over time.

A zipper on the other hand, will only require a double row of straight stitching along each half of its length, and can be done right next to the corner of the cushions where the fabric is at its strongest point (two directions of pull coming together). Think of the zipper as a hinge and the cushions as big blocks of wood. Also, I believe a zipper will be much more comfortable to sleep on than a bunch of wadded up 2" Velcro, and will not stick to every bit of dirt, lint, loose threads, clothing, or anything else it comes in contact with when the cushions are separated.

I've been trying to come up with the best solution to this problem for many years now, and still have a few other ideas rattling around in my head. Your upholster may have done this before and have some good ideas of his own. If he does, please share them with us also.

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
I've had 1" Velcro on a similar setup and there were no issues of wrinkling. But it was a bi-atch to separate and I wouldn't do it again. It caused too much stress on the material. I too much prefer the Zipper option.

yzeevy

Adventurer
If velcro can be sewn on, so can a zipper.

Two inch Velcro will require much more stitching, including 'box stitching' along its length, to be sure it's strong enough. I don't know of any adhesive backed Velcro that will stick to cloth, and still be strong enough to withstand the force of separating on a regular basis. Plus, sitting or sleeping on it will cause it to wrinkle up adding even more force to it. Velcro also wears out through use and over time.

A zipper on the other hand, will only require a double row of straight stitching along each half of its length, and can be done right next to the corner of the cushions where the fabric is at its strongest point (two directions of pull coming together). Think of the zipper as a hinge and the cushions as big blocks of wood. Also, I believe a zipper will be much more comfortable to sleep on than a bunch of wadded up 2" Velcro, and will not stick to every bit of dirt, lint, loose threads, clothing, or anything else it comes in contact with when the cushions are separated.

I've been trying to come up with the best solution to this problem for many years now, and still have a few other ideas rattling around in my head. Your upholster may have done this before and have some good ideas of his own. If he does, please share them with us also.
You right, Velcro is ugly and dirty.
I believe, at this point, that wraping the mattresses together with the base with two sheets will hold nicely.
If not I'll find something removable that will block the mattress.
Untitled.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven