Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Is it labeled off and on? Or are you guessing based on other switches locations for off/on?

It should be a momentary switch as it just tells the brain to cut power when you turn the primaries off it resets the brains and gives you full power agin when you turn them on again. If your still in the rain you have to hit the switch again to knock power down again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

patoz

Expedition Leader
Good morning,

I met yesterday someone at Camping World in Valencia and he mentioned that he has a problems with his ref.
because the Freon has to be leveled . . .
My ambo came with the VENNER 2-1050 CULW
http://www.vanner.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/EMS-Ambulance-Brochure-PDF-7-01.pdf
Maybe I should wait until I'll decide what to install . . .

This is probably a good idea. I don't know what my total load is going to be yet myself, and that's why I started with just one 'House Bank' consisting of 2 6VDC batteries wired in series. I knew I wanted to use 6V batteries because the battery life is longer and the amp hour rating is higher. I will install these where the old existing 12V starting batteries were in the right front corner compartment of the rear module (patient compartment). If you looked at my build thread, then you know mine is a trailer and not a full vehicle, so I have no starting batteries any longer. If I install another set of batteries, they will go in the left front compartment to balance out the weight. 6V golf cart batteries are somewhat taller and much heavier than standard light duty truck batteries. They have much larger and thicker lead plates in them, which is why they are so much heavier and why they last longer.

The ideal setup is to have two different battery systems, one for starting and one (the house batteries) for operating everything in the back when you're camping with the engine shut off. The systems should be independent of each other except when charging from the alternator. Use a charging relay such as the Blue Sea Systems Automatic Charging Relay with Manual Control which will automatically combine the batteries or banks, during charging and isolates batteries when discharging and when starting the engine. It also allows paralleling of the battery banks for emergency starting. I, as well as the experts, do not recommend using a battery isolator. Isolators are old technology, inefficient because they do not allow for a full charge, and put a constant drain on the batteries in order to operate.

Since an ambulance is not designed to operate the electrical system with the engine shut down, it doesn't normally have deep cycle batteries. It uses normal starting or possibly the marine type hybrid batteries. The Vanner Inverter is a very good quality piece of equipment, but the charging function is only two stages, Bulk and Float. A four stage charger is better for deep cycle batteries because it has:

1. BULK STAGE
The Bulk Stage allows the batteries to be charged from the full rated output of the charger (for example, a 12V charger will charge at a maximum of 14.8V). This increased charging period reduces the overall charging time of the battery.

2. ABSORPTION STAGE
After the Bulk Stage, the charger then moves to the Absorption Stage (14.2V for a 12V battery). This mode will continue for up to 480 minutes (8 hours) to ensure that the battery receives a complete charge.

3. FLOAT STAGE
During the Float Stage, the charger reduces the charge voltage. This reduced voltage maintains the full charge while minimizing 'gassing' of the battery. The float stage prevents boiling and bulging of the battery caused when the battery is exposed to higher charging voltages for too long.

4. EQUALIZATION STAGE
If the batteries remain in a "float stage" for a seven-day period, the charger will switch into a pre-programmed Equalization Stage. This protects the life of your battery by dissolving any sulfate layer on the battery's internal plates and avoids stratification that can occur when a battery has not been in use for extended periods.

Now that I have thoroughly confused you, it will only get better. My advice, which I learned the hard way on a couple of things, is to go slow, read and learn as much as you can about the different systems you will need, and then buy. It will save you a lot of heartache and money in the long run.

Last edited:

yzeevy

Adventurer
Is it labeled off and on? Or are you guessing based on other switches locations for off/on?

It should be a momentary switch as it just tells the brain to cut power when you turn the primaries off it resets the brains and gives you full power agin when you turn them on again. If your still in the rain you have to hit the switch again to knock power down again.

Appreciate your effort . . .
No, there is no ON/OFF.
That's a picture taken by the seller,
7539_inside - Copy.jpg
And that's how it is today . . .
20151122_161919.jpg
I'm going to meet an electrician this week and I'll ask him about this,

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
That is correct for that switch please call me so I can explain

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Ambulance Convertion - Srarted Today

No call but the short version is that switch is in the right position and acting like it should. They are usually spring loaded and are a momentary switch to signal the control board.
Eta I'm on again til 2100

yzeevy

Adventurer
No call but the short version is that switch is in the right position and acting like it should. They are usually spring loaded and are a momentary switch to signal the control board.
Eta I'm on again til 2100

I know what momentary switch is.
This morning I turned on the front and corner strobes.
Pressing, momentarily, the Low Power turned them off.
I think this concludes the issue.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Since an ambulance is not designed to operate the electrical system with the engine shut down, it doesn't normally have deep cycle batteries. It uses normal starting or possibly the marine type hybrid batteries. The Vanner Inverter is a very good quality piece of equipment, but the charging function is only two stages, Bulk and Float. A four stage charger is better for deep cycle batteries because it has:

1. BULK STAGE
The Bulk Stage allows the batteries to be charged from the full rated output of the charger (for example, a 12V charger will charge at a maximum of 14.8V). This increased charging period reduces the overall charging time of the battery.

2. ABSORPTION STAGE
After the Bulk Stage, the charger then moves to the Absorption Stage (14.2V for a 12V battery). This mode will continue for up to 480 minutes (8 hours) to ensure that the battery receives a complete charge.

3. FLOAT STAGE
During the Float Stage, the charger reduces the charge voltage. This reduced voltage maintains the full charge while minimizing 'gassing' of the battery. The float stage prevents boiling and bulging of the battery caused when the battery is exposed to higher charging voltages for too long.

4. EQUALIZATION STAGE
If the batteries remain in a "float stage" for a seven-day period, the charger will switch into a pre-programmed Equalization Stage. This protects the life of your battery by dissolving any sulfate layer on the battery's internal plates and avoids stratification that can occur when a battery has not been in use for extended periods.

Now that I have thoroughly confused you, it will only get better. My advice, which I learned the hard way on a couple of things, is to go slow, read and learn as much as you can about the different systems you will need, and then buy. It will save you a lot of heartache and money in the long run.
Maaaan, you are a walking encyclopedia.
I saw your build and you can do and install anything you want since you rewiring everything.
As far as I'm concern there is no way in hell I'll do the same.
Spoke today with a RV garage owner and he highly recommends on the 6v golf cart batteries.
I'm going to call Vanner to find out how to integrate a remote controller, basically I have nothing.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Maaaan, you are a walking encyclopedia.

Spoke today with a RV garage owner and he highly recommends on the 6v golf cart batteries.
I'm going to call Vanner to find out how to integrate a remote controller, basically I have nothing.

Naw, not an encyclopedia, I've just gone through all this in the last year.

If I got your model number correct, here is the Owner's Manual (20-1050CUL-DC and 20-1000TUL-DC) which addresses the Remote Panels on page 10.
http://www.vanner.com/manuals/20-1050CUL-DC.pdf

Basically, you will need a IFM1 Remote Interface Module, a D06781 Remote ON/OFF Switch, a D06638 Remote Inverter Panel, and a D06639 Remote Charger Panel with associated wiring harnesses. Here is the Owner's Manual for that: http://www.vanner.com/manuals/IFM1.pdf

And FAQs for 20-1050CUL-DC and 20-1000TUL-DC.
http://www.vanner.com/faq-for-20-1050cul-dc/

Last edited:

yzeevy

Adventurer
Naw, not an encyclopedia, I've just gone through all this in the last year.

If I got your model number correct, here is the Owner's Manual (20-1050CUL-DC and 20-1000TUL-DC) which addresses the Remote Panels on page 10.
http://www.vanner.com/manuals/20-1050CUL-DC.pdf

Basically, you will need a IFM1 Remote Interface Module, a D06781 Remote ON/OFF Switch, a D06638 Remote Inverter Panel, and a D06639 Remote Charger Panel with associated wiring harnesses. Here is the Owner's Manual for that: http://www.vanner.com/manuals/IFM1.pdf

And FAQs for 20-1050CUL-DC and 20-1000TUL-DC.
http://www.vanner.com/faq-for-20-1050cul-dc/
Similar but not the same:

http://www.vanner.com/manuals/20-1050CUL.pdf

20-1050CULW
http://www.vanner.com/brochures/EMS-Ambulance-Catalog-PDF-2-00.pdf

patoz

Expedition Leader

OK then, according to Vanner the same remote units work on several different models, so it looks like you're all set. When you talk to them, I would also ask them about charging Deep Cycle Batteries (using two stage vs. four stage), i.e. the 6VDC golf cart batteries wired in series. A lot of high end chargers can be configured for different types of batteries using a programing function.

I'd be curious to find out myself.

yzeevy

Adventurer
OK then, according to Vanner the same remote units work on several different models, so it looks like you're all set. When you talk to them, I would also ask them about charging Deep Cycle Batteries (using two stage vs. four stage), i.e. the 6VDC golf cart batteries wired in series. A lot of high end chargers can be configured for different types of batteries using a programing function.

I'd be curious to find out myself.
I already have a house battery, under the hood.
No info about the manufacturer or type. Maybe government sources.
I guess I should verify that before deciding what to add to it.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Are you sure it's a house battery, or is it the second battery for starting that 7.3 Diesel Engine?

How many batteries total do you have?

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Should have the starter battery and original truck batt under hood then a battery tray in the box for everything else and also functional as a back up start battery

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Usually there's a switch somewhere labeled emergency start

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven