Ambulance Conversion - New Modifications.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Are you sure it's a house battery, or is it the second battery for starting that 7.3 Diesel Engine?

How many batteries total do you have?
I have 2 batteries, only, under the hood.
I spent a very confusing day to try to understand how to bypass the starter key.
I'm quite sure I know how its working.
Starter Bypass.jpg
Now that you have mentioned, I think both batteries are connected in parallel.
Its possible to have an ambulance without house batteries?

Last edited:

yzeevy

Adventurer
Should have the starter battery and original truck batt under hood then a battery tray in the box for everything else and also functional as a back up start battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
During the day I "managed" to discharge the batteries to a point that I couldn't start the engine.
With the DVM I checked both batteries and both showed around 11.5V.
After "jumping" for about half an hour with my other car and running the engine for another half an hour,
I checked again and both batteries showed around 13.5V. Its obvious both batteries were charged together.
I don't have an emergency start switch and I'm quite sure there are no more batteries in the truck.

Last edited:

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Possible but unwise on the part of the ordering agency the only ambo's I've ever seen without a battery tray were firehouse queens and as part as their SOP were either on and running or on shore power. Two batteries to run all that stuff and a big inverter is just shoe stringing it on the part of the buyer and saving a few bucks. Was there an isolation block/diode/doohickey to contend with? If you can toss a float charger on it while your working so you won't deep discharge those batts. Have you discovered the high idle yet?

emtmark

Austere Medical Provider
Any unlabeled switch anywhere? Usually momentary like the low power?

patoz

Expedition Leader
I have 2 batteries, only, under the hood.

Now that you have mentioned, I think both batteries are connected in parallel.
Its possible to have an ambulance without house batteries?

Yes, especially with the older models, and that is how mine was set up. I had the 7.3 Diesel also and my two batteries were wired in parallel, which gives you twice the amperage but the voltage stays the same (12VDC).

As the newer models are built, more and more electronics are being used, so additional batteries are installed also.

Just FYI, once your batteries have been seriously discharged (10V or below), damage can occur. If they have been discharged to the point they won't start the vehicle, jumping them will get the engine started, but the alternator will not bring them back up to full capacity no matter how long it idles, or is driven. Therefore, a charger set on slow charge (2A) should be used to bring them back up to full capacity.

yzeevy

Adventurer
Possible but unwise on the part of the ordering agency the only ambo's I've ever seen without a battery tray were firehouse queens and as part as their SOP were either on and running or on shore power. Two batteries to run all that stuff and a big inverter is just shoe stringing it on the part of the buyer and saving a few bucks. Was there an isolation block/diode/doohickey to contend with? If you can toss a float charger on it while your working so you won't deep discharge those batts. Have you discovered the high idle yet?

Its quite obvious that this unit was built to work as long as the engine is running, or
connected to shoreline.
What is HIGH IDLE? Float charger ?! You try to scare me?
I live in an apparent building, parking and working on the street without access to 120vac, unless I'll run the generator.

Last edited:

yzeevy

Adventurer
Yes, especially with the older models, and that is how mine was set up. I had the 7.3 Diesel also and my two batteries were wired in parallel, which gives you twice the amperage but the voltage stays the same (12VDC).

As the newer models are built, more and more electronics are being used, so additional batteries are installed also.

Just FYI, once your batteries have been seriously discharged (10V or below), damage can occur. If they have been discharged to the point they won't start the vehicle, jumping them will get the engine started, but the alternator will not bring them back up to full capacity no matter how long it idles, or is driven. Therefore, a charger set on slow charge (2A) should be used to bring them back up to full capacity.
Starter Bypass.jpg
SOOO, if I'll add more batteries, I need to install a separator and
connect the STARTER wire to 12v and
connect the two coils to the new batteries.
This way the front batts wont run out and the module will run from the house batts, not that I know how to do it
Do you have a scheme that might work for me?

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Its quite obvious that this unit was built to work as long as the engine is running, or
connected to shoreline.
What is HIGH IDLE?

High Idle is a function added by the Ambulance Builder to increase the engine RPM up to about 1,200 RPM while the vehicle is sitting with it's emergency lighting system operating, in order to keep the batteries from being discharged too deeply. The older units just used a vacuum powered solenoid to move the accelerator linkage and it was activated via a switch located on the front electrical console. I don't see it on the picture of the switch console you posted, but it may be on the one with the Volt and Amperage gauges mounted on it.

00h0h_9JxtjvkAnHg_600x450.jpg

The newer units use a computerized module to do the same function, and would look something like this...

34786d1330818346-aic-module-2527793680103920393s600x600q85.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
View attachment 318177
SOOO, if I'll add more batteries, I need to install a separator and
connect the STARTER wire to 12v and
connect the two coils to the new batteries.
This way the front batts wont run out and the module will run from the house batts, not that I know how to do it
Do you have a scheme that might work for me?

Without seeing a complete wiring diagram of your specific vehicle, I can't begin to tell you how to do this because there are just too many variables.

First of all, you need to determine exactly how you you want the 'House' system to operate. Not only do you need to 'add' the extra batteries to the system, you also need to be able to disconnect the rear electrical load from the starting batteries when in camping mode. At the same time you want the ability to combine both battery banks to jump start yourself.

This is a diagram for a Blue Sea Systems ML-ACR Automatic Charging Relay - 12V DC 500A , which can be used for boats or vehicles. This diagram is for a boat, but he principle is the same and will give you an idea of what I'm talking about. http://assets.bluesea.com/files/resources/wiring_diagram/ML-ACRs.jpg

yzeevy

Adventurer
High Idle is a function added by the Ambulance Builder to increase the engine RPM up to about 1,200 RPM while the vehicle is sitting with it's emergency lighting system operating, in order to keep the batteries from being discharged too deeply. The older units just used a vacuum powered solenoid to move the accelerator linkage and it was activated via a switch located on the front electrical console. I don't see it on the picture of the switch console you posted, but it may be on the one with the Volt and Amperage gauges mounted on it.

The newer units use a computerized module to do the same function, and would look something like this...
OK, got it. My HIGH IDLE is activated with the hand / foot brake.
I have this four buttons but without the digital display.
So how they work, if the POWER LED is on it means that the battery is low?

yzeevy

Adventurer
Kitchen stuff

Someone knows who makes that sink and burner?
displayPicPopUp.jpg
What kind of water heater you use / recommend?
I'm thinking about an electrical tankless.
How long might hold a 5 gallon LP tank for cooking and water heating?

patoz

Expedition Leader
I took my AMBO to the RV garage and by tomorrow I'll have 2 Trojan T-105 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Batteries with a isolator.
About the AIC, that what I have . . .
View attachment 318282

Good luck with that isolator, but I wouldn't use it.

Yep, you have the the Limited Function Auxiliary Powertrain Control Module (APCM).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven