AmbuLand build thread

cjken

Explorer
Do you know the LOADED OUT weight of your rig?

I am most likely going to do the RIP from Agile, but mine will be around 12k-ish once loaded out,
and while John is quite assured that I will be good with single shocks, sometimes I wonder....
But he is the Pro, and I am just the guy figuring things out as I go, and from watching everyone
else build theirs!

Mine has the RIP kit.
Not sure of the weight, but it definitely helped the ride!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Loaded I'm only shy of 10,000lbs and my suspension is awesome. If I could get the rear to behave like the front it'd be a 10,000lbs racing machine! The rear bounces a little due to that big stack of leafs compared to the front but everyone who tried my an in the rough were really pressed with it.

I too don't think you need double shocks and realistically your front end should weigh similar to mine... Save yourself the money and try without :)

Sent from my SGP511 using Tapatalk

Are you still running OEM springs in the rear? I found mine flexes and rides a lot better in the rear after having the 19 year old springs replaced... I can only imagine how much better it'll ride after I replace the old rear shocks with ones that don't have rust holes through them. For now they are working, just not as well as they possibly could.

Since new shocks here cost almost as much as FOX shocks, I'm adding FOX shocks to my wish list. I may have to buy some on a road trip... if I'm gone more than a couple days, I can even save the duty.

Abitibi

Explorer
Last I checked mine ran about 10.5K "normal" and I doubt my loaded ready to go weight varies by more than a couple hundred. Not much to add that I dont usually carry except some food, clothes, and maybe extra water.

Oh, and I did a 0-60 test the other day and managed a 14 second burn! Woot! Warp speed.
14 sec hey! Now have a goal to beat, Hahaha!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Race is on... I think I can beat 14... :D

Besides I'm about 2K less.

Jeezus, I'd love to be able to shed 2k but I don't see it. Might shed a couple hundred changing tires and wheels, but just about everything else added needs to be there or it ceases to serve its purpose.

Made a god-awful racket too. It's straight piped with no muffler.

BRRRRRRRAP brapbrapbrapbrapbrapbrap!!! for the whole run.

Abitibi

Explorer
So another her project down the bucket list. Too bad it cost me more than expected. Had I known I would have mounted my Steel Partner stove instead of this permanent stove. As is, it looks good but I wish I had planned better and made double use of my other stove: Use indoor with a quick disconnect to move outside since I mostly cook outside. Oh well, it's all done now, looks and works good but... could have been better.

All said and done!

a08947edd572d611744c40ffe5e86ca2.jpg

While at it I also added a little storage compartment behind the stove. Way practical!

cde6f6cfa3435fe07691c79ca8b94e31.jpg

I made sure to have a split to either use my shower heater or an exterior stove along with the interior stove. I used a RV outfitter to hook my propane and also got them to add a shut off valve for safety. Now it can be registered as a Rv :)

817029edcf9f092af415e8dfbc1bc93a.jpg

Finally, upholstered my vinyl cushion. That took way too log but sooooo comfy! I used Sunbrella material :)

c215ed0c16d828bd2759f2f014fef864.jpg

More coming shortly

Cheers
David

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks Smurfy. Still need to stain my cabinets but it's finally taking shape!

Abitibi

Explorer
What's the story with Tin Tin?

Just a big fan ;)

ff033e8155e55abebe4dfdf17db8c327.jpg

It's a postcard I sent to my wife in our early days which got recycled as a book marker which I finish reading while camping... Now it's a full time resident of the ambo!

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Not quite finished but too exited to wait, hahaha!

I needed a solution for my side lights. Mine were painted over when they decommissioned my ambo so either I bought new lenses and dealt with the average existing lights or came up with a better solution.

I had my idea from the get go but instead of building my own aluminum recessed box I decided to start baking ;) Can't take credit for the idea, just made it work for my needs. .. And I needed 2"depth max to fit between the ambo studs.

This is what i started with, beats building my own!
73fe98827d8496c406ad740ec8cf075f.jpg

Only problem is I needed 9"x7" boxes to fit both the lights and the ambo design. I could have kept the baking tray as is (9"x9") but it would have looked funny. So, cut 2" off and re-welded it.

85251881ee2951e354427a4c62b523e5.jpg

8de58b6286bdc870105bff73b3f7beab.jpg

Drilled a few holes for mounting the light, running the wire and to screw it against the body then off to powder coating.

b5df6fd8238bb74ceb93c51bfcadd758.jpg

As for lights, I found these nice thin 5" LED's from my favorite light store.

359a0b5fc8181e5e7de58e69e4516a77.jpg

All together and ready to replace my 15 yrs old useless side scene lights :D

44506c82cdf806d03c1cd3eaf6fb74f5.jpg

9af247732ff9d2f5f6822bb2637340b7.jpg

Just need to cut the old lights opening on my ambo a bit larger, apply a new seal, secure in place... and a bit more time!

Cheers
David

"Another great day ruined by responsibilities"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven