AmbuLand build thread

Boardman

Nice Rig! Great inspiration.

Hi David
I saw your beast in Whistler in November and was very impressed!
I was looking at a LWB GMC Quigley for a semi camper - work truck when I saw your Mega Ambo in lot 4.
I found your thread and am not sure if I am discouraged or inspired but like the Idea of one of these for my next RV.
I would rather be playing on the mountain than overhauling an old van but the stock interior would suit me.
Great job and I am impressed by your dedication and attention to detail!
I would like to know more about the 4wd conversion. Did you drive to San Diego and leave it with Agile and fly down to pick it up when it was finished or stay and help with the conversion?

Abitibi

Explorer
Hi David
I saw your beast in Whistler in November and was very impressed!
I was looking at a LWB GMC Quigley for a semi camper - work truck when I saw your Mega Ambo in lot 4.
I found your thread and am not sure if I am discouraged or inspired but like the Idea of one of these for my next RV.
I would rather be playing on the mountain than overhauling an old van but the stock interior would suit me.
Great job and I am impressed by your dedication and attention to detail!
I would like to know more about the 4wd conversion. Did you drive to San Diego and leave it with Agile and fly down to pick it up when it was finished or stay and help with the conversion?
Thanks for the good word. I was probably hiking when you saw my van in Whistler, would have been nice to meet up! I spend part of last summer in San Diego so no planes involved! Got to meet Ramsey, John and the boys at the shop, good time and great bunch! Feel free to pm me if you come by Vancouver.

Cheers
David

"Another great day ruined by responsibilities"

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
After the daily soaking of solar panels (2 x 150 watts) in the Florida sun today, my batts (about 1000 amh's) showed
full charge with a short load test. So, I waited about 30 minutes to recover, and fired up the microwave.
I set it for a 5 minute cook time and it wasn't until about 3:30 of run time that it started humming and then the
steady beep. I did a load test after that, and it was pretty much the same as before I ran the nuker.

I think Pure Sine is definitely the way to go, but again, I already have this sucker, so I will run it for now.

Besides, how long does it really take to cook a burrito or hot pocket?

View attachment 365896

If you want me to run any other test, let me know. I am happy to oblige!

*And yes, that is 500lbs of batts in a 350lb cart. And yes, I am planning on putting them in my rig!*

Ran a similar test. I snagged a small nuker a neighbor was giving away. I'm guessing 700 w with LCD Display and turntable. 2000 w Pure Sine inverter and two lead acid 1000 CCA batteries... 5 minutes with no problems or annoying beeping. Water in cup got hot. Haven't tested longer yet, but figure for small things: soup, coffee, pizza, popcorn, etc it'll do fine.

FDM2012

Adventurer
I will eventually dump my 3000 modified sine, and get similar as yours. But I already had it, so........

Ran a similar test. I snagged a small nuker a neighbor was giving away. I'm guessing 700 w with LCD Display and turntable. 2000 w Pure Sine inverter and two lead acid 1000 CCA batteries... 5 minutes with no problems or annoying beeping. Water in cup got hot. Haven't tested longer yet, but figure for small things: soup, coffee, pizza, popcorn, etc it'll do fine.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I'm Running a Samlex 2000 Sine wave Inverter

Got one of these for about $400 CDN. I've been very happy with it and the remote that came with it.
Samlex-2000-Watt-Pure-Sine-Wave-Inverter-SSW-2000-12A.jpg

Abitibi

Explorer
That's a good price! I just installed a modified 3000w so I'll have to live with it for the next little while! In the mean time here's how my side lights project ended up and I love it! I can also aim the lights down not to blind anyone and still use them.

89a36273b35d8214d6a891e3763c105b.jpg

After my Agile's 4x4 conversion I could no longer reach my awning so while doing the side lights I moved it down, way more practical now and I like the look!

4ace6861c0dfb3bc1a431af59f0211cf.jpg

Action shots! Pretty deep snow here :)

499b61187c8966fc8e9637d19ba0d4d0.jpg

Took some shots from the roof. The light output is crazy!

874e3a2a554a480d7aa2083bd1405ed1.jpg

Also did the backup lights with an over ride switch so either automatically on reverse or manual override. There are 4 of them, 2 larger one facing straight out for distance and 2 smaller ones facing down for close up.

9e087f41aee8cb6b4b086e4f1b34a663.jpg

77fdcc0158ef9b53004aac16d34c460e.jpg

Cheers
David

Last edited:

patoz

Expedition Leader
Those side lights turned out great, and I believe you have found the solution. That is more than enough light to set up camp, and being able to adjust the pattern up or down is definitely a plus!

I like the way you did your backup lights also.

Abitibi

Explorer
Those side lights turned out great, and I believe you have found the solution. That is more than enough light to set up camp, and being able to adjust the pattern up or down is definitely a plus!

I like the way you did your backup lights also.
Thanks Patoz

Yes turned out pretty neat. Still have a few more projects to post but I enjoy too much procrastinating :)

Cheers
David

patoz

Expedition Leader
Won't the awning block the light when it's open?

I was wondering the same thing, and it does look like the awning was mounted higher up at one time.

I wish I had that much space above my rain gutter, because that's the perfect spot for it. Plus, I'm hoping to find an awning that will run full length of the module, but fit between the corner marker lights. I want the door to be under it, and will probably have to use one of those wheels mounted on the upper corner of the door to keep it from wearing and tearing the fabric when it's opened.

zuke

Adventurer

I was wondering the same thing, and it does look like the awning was mounted higher up at one time.

I wish I had that much space above my rain gutter, because that's the perfect spot for it. Plus, I'm hoping to find an awning that will run full length of the module, but fit between the corner marker lights. I want the door to be under it, and will probably have to use one of those wheels mounted on the upper corner of the door to keep it from wearing and tearing the fabric when it's opened.

That's the same issues I'm looking at on D.O.A., If I finish out the the cabinet configurations this weekend I'll probably start looking at it, I've got a 12ft awning, which is the length of the module, and the only way I can think right now to mount it is actually on the roof, anywhere else is going to interfere with lights...

Abitibi

Explorer
To be honest I don't use the awning much comes night time and if I do I have another portable light so the awning position isn't an issue for me. It was an issue before when it was above the lights and I couldn't reach it! Lol

For sure it would have been nice to have it above the door for the rainy days but if I let this bother me then I deserve to become a coach potato, hahaha!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

tgreening

Expedition Leader
To be honest I don't use the awning much comes night time and if I do I have another portable light so the awning position isn't an issue for me. It was an issue before when it was above the lights and I couldn't reach it! Lol

For sure it would have been nice to have it above the door for the rainy days but if I let this bother me then I deserve to become a coach potato, hahaha!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I think I'm going to have to mount mine same as yours, so I wish it were about 6" shorter. In order to clear the door when it's all packed up it has to be mounted far enough to the rear it kind of hangs past the back, and being a borderline OCD idiot that bugs me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven