AmbuLand build thread

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Dave I'm sure you'll be fine. The back does stay cool much longer because of the extra insulation. While you're working on things if you insulate the cab it'll help your plan work even better. I've only got a front heater and it heats the whole rig.

I sure know how fixing the A/C adds up. I fixed mine front and rear and now I can keep ice cream frozen in the back (not quite, but very cool back there).

Abitibi

Explorer
I think so too and I already insulated the front cab, time will tell!

Cheers
David

"Another great day ruined by responsibilities"

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
He's put it out... now he'll have to build it or else we'll never let him live it down... ;)

Looking forward to seeing where you go with this... especially since you've got my rigs younger sibling. :D

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
I see... pressure is on me, lol.

And thanks gtbensley!

I've been thinking about this pop-up idea even before buying little sister years ago and I really hope my plan will work out. I've committed with material purchase and now waiting for its delivery. There will be some cutting and welding involved but the rest should go pretty quick, or so I hope! Hahaha

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Aluminum, fibreglass, or ?

I'd be tempted to mold a fibreglass 2nd roof that fits over the existing roof. When it's down it could almost disappear... what do you have in mind?

Abitibi

Explorer
Let's just say it involves fiberglass but I'll wait to see if it works out before giving any more details ;)
I like suspense, lol!

Cheers
David

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
PM me if you want to bounce any ideas of me... I've got all sorts of useless knowledge about fibreglass, carbon fibre, and resins. Most is smaller scale and highly specialized, but the concepts are mostly the same. The exception is that I'm used to working resin under vacuum and devoid of moisture... but no matter.

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks John! I got that side of the project already dealt with but I'll keep your skills in mind for future projects!

Cheers
David

mjs3350

I'm loving this build. It's got me torn between a van and an ambo build. I really like the shape of this model too.

Coachgeo

Explorer
If it is just standing room your seeking; another option that may work for you is to steal a build concept from some very old travel trailer build. Saw various types. One just just popped up only where you stand.... just over the kitchen. LIke below vintage trailer or the modified 404 mog pictured
514526714-jerrycan-8-14-full-version-and-activation.jpg

fe077f0736c7c452027b316283ad1df9.jpg

Another popped up on all 4 sides a path down the center where you walk like below Compact Jr.
118d8389126e21a810b7757b3713cfd0.jpg

while not a pop up With raised center isle idea above in mind... did once see a trailer build wherecenter isle roof was permanently raised. One of the old Fiberglass trailers.

here is one with center roof bubble
a480680e3e832c7a7ccdbb39d30ff09b.jpg

one more with center isle
97HT.jpg

Last edited:

Abitibi

Explorer
Man, if I could get my hand on one of those vintage trailers it would go right behind my 65 Econoline!

But I also need a bed for my kids (or one i could steal on hot nights). As for time-frame, I'm heading down near Vegas to seek warm weather on the 2nd week of March and really hope to have it done for that trip!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Abitibi

Explorer
Morning!

While waiting for the bigger roof project I took care of some smaller but well overdue projects.

First one was pretty simple, wife request... a nuke. It will get mounted under the driver side upper cabinet (by sink). That keeps it accessible but frees up the countertop. I'm waiting to do the roof before mounting it since all those upper cabinets will need to come off for that project.

478beba294520f2108c14898caeff3e3.jpg

22bf02310974b64c5a66c7be5b17b0a3.jpg

Next, the electrical panel cabinet.

This one had been nagging me for a while but I couldn't decide how to do it. At first I wanted to have the electrical door flip down and double as a table (for my kids on the rear seats) but although a good idea it would have reached only one of the two seats and the kids would be fighting for it, no good.

So I kept it simple and will just build a stoweable table for the front.

This is what I needed to conceal:

347e8547dcd7b93cd220c154a85097d0.jpg

And what I came up with, first in the process:

b0ebe2c2647139c7f0f39e0313308770.jpg

And kinda finished:

9238d5e122d474e9852cef7e65a8d427.jpg

ba3f6c78476b39b76421e21c8a0cc11f.jpg

I still have to clean it up a little and I may also add lights inside but so far so good. Now I need to tackle the upper front cabinets (similar to the side ones). This is where I'm talking about...

d8218031015cda1d664fb06efbadbd88.jpg

OK, enough typing, time for some cutting! Ciao!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven