AmbuLand build thread

Abitibi

Explorer
I guess I kinda voided my warranty on that tent didn't I???
;)

937f89377c1d95a0c092215181829a18.jpg

Abitibi

Explorer
How about now, better?

I can tell you, putting that first cut in a brand new and very expensive tent definitely raised my heartbeat!!!
lol

FDM2012

Adventurer
I bet it did!! Your methodology seems solid, I'm sure it will be awesome when finished.

Any luck in getting those codes cleared out, or still having issues?

Abitibi

Explorer
Thanks!

To be honest I didn't look any further for those codes as it still seems to work fine as is. I need to try to remember researching this at some point!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Call me if you change your mind... I'd consider buying your 'mistake' off you. Although I'd regret not being able to going through drive throughs... I think that ship has already sailed for you.

Abitibi

Explorer
Here ya go, big sunroof!

Getting closer, working on re-enforcing the structure now. I'll need to patch the old cutout for the roof fan as its in the way. I'll re-mount it further back near the corner.

My aim was to cut the opening over the most travelled space which is leaving me with the original ceiling over the dinette.

6e22ef03ae32d1712528da853329a6ac.jpg

Can you say giant sunroof :D

a2e30615bf94581712c82904aefa420b.jpg

patoz

Expedition Leader
Now THAT is scary! :eek:

Another advantage to mounting the RTT where you are is, there is still space on the rear to mount a couple of solar panels.

Abitibi

Explorer
Now THAT is scary! :eek:

Another advantage to mounting the RTT where you are is, there is still space on the rear to mount a couple of solar panels.

That's a good point Patoz, I had in mind to mount a few panels on the roof and it will impact where I'll be moving my roof fan. As for corner braces... no need, this thing is now solid as a rock, way stronger than a typical Sportsmobile. We radius the skin corners:
20170216_120022.jpg

Then we braced each of the roof's cross-members with matching lateral 2" square tubings and also added an extra one at the front. We got lucky with the weather and I was able to drive back home with my giant sunroof wide open ;)
20170216_113438.jpg
20170216_120202.jpg
20170216_120221 (1).jpg

The only problem we had while welding... no junk food for me!

20170216_130828.jpg

Now time for a new hat!

patoz

Expedition Leader
That's a good point Patoz, I had in mind to mount a few panels on the roof and it will impact where I'll be moving my roof fan.

David, could you keep it centered from side to side, and just slide it rearward to the center of the remaining space between the RTT and the back edge? It looks like that would leave plenty of room on either side for at least a 24" x 48" panel, and look balanced also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven