Ammo can idea thread

JCDriller

Adventurer
I no longer have a factory rear muffler on my JKU. One may be able to mount a 120mm can in that location. Wouldn't be easy to get to, but if you needed to pack more gear that was rarely used it would be an ok location.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I got the ammo can trays painted and installed them on the Jeep. A "tall 50" can is in the side mount and a "fat 50" can is in the spare mount.

UniversalAmmoTray3_zpseqfvgdq8.jpg

UniversalAmmoTray4_zpswvrispn0.jpg

UniversalAmmoTray5_zpsoglcwkrg.jpg

The Saddle Rack parts are also painted (the grid and other parts are done in black). I'm still waiting for the latches I ordered so I can finish the locking can straps, hopefully they'll arrive tomorrow.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Yesterday i tried the "Universal Ammo Can Tray" on a few places on the LJ; this morning I tried it on the JK tailgate.

With a "Tall 50" (left) and a "Fat 50" (right):

TailgateHinge50s_zpsm4fca0xd.jpg

Tailgate open:

TailgateHinge50sOpen_zpsevyia39u.jpg

I mounted the tray to the hinges with one shelf bracket from Rockler Hardware (post 76 in this thread), and the other side of the tray bolted directly to the hinge. I haven't bolted the tray to the bracket yet, this was just a quick test.

TailgateHingeMount_zpsckpxxrbo.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
The adjustable/locking latches I ordered finally arrived, so I was able to finish up the locking straps.

LockingStraps1_zps7zvl5yum.jpg

LockingStraps2_zpscr52xv10.jpg

Also in the photo - rather than make a single complicated locking strap that could adjust to all size cans, a better solution was to make the strap so the latch side is the same for all size cans, and the piece that goes over the can is a specific size for specific cans. Lying on the workbench in front of the trays is a strap for the Fat 50 can and a second strap for a 50 cal can.

Next I'll get the trays bolted to the Saddle Rack and get that installed for final testing.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I finished up the Saddle Rack and strapped in on the Jeep.

With just two .50 cal ammo cans locked in place:

SaddleRackDone1_zps7xuw8jmb.jpg

Jack mount bolted on:

SaddleRackDone3_zpsdpmlqr84.jpg

Jack:

SaddleRackDone4_zpsvuuqiynl.jpg

twiisted71

Adventurer
JScherb how did you get the seals for the windows on your hardtops? If you used a universal gasket material how did you seal the ends together? They look nicely done.

So far as the 120mm cans the only thing I could come up with was a hardside waterproof double rifle scabbard. In the end I traded it off for some soft top parts. The end opening just doesn't lend itself well to most typical applications. A piano hinge, flatbar, and weather stripping could have made it into a nice lengthwise opening box but there are just too many surplus ammo box choices that are much more usable with a 'proper' opening lid to make it worthwhile UNLESS you came up with a use that fit this specific shape. I didn't.

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
JScherb how did you get the seals for the windows on your hardtops? If you used a universal gasket material how did you seal the ends together? They look nicely done.
Thanks. It's just standard locking window gasket, cut just long enough so that there's some pressure keeping the ends together; then the joint is sealed with silicone.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I did a little more playing around with the Saddle Rack ammo can/trail gear rack this morning to see what types of gear work well on it...

SaddleHiLiftAndShovel1_zpsalobx3rh.jpg

SaddleShovel_zpsva6hzesl.jpg

Saddle5LiterAndShovel_zpsot6g9hhc.jpg

And even my bicycle :).

SaddleBike1_zpsy9qq1sqh.jpg

XJSuperman

OhIOWAn
I have a .50cal that hold all my GoPro camera stuff. It works great because A) its not labeled "expensive GoPro inside" and B) it allows the magnet mount I made to stick to the bottom and be quiet without jumping around and scuffing up my other accessories. A piece of magnetic tape under the handle on top keep the handle from making noise in a rough bouncing Jeep.

Another .50 cal can holds random paints, fluids, and stuff that goes with my shop tools and projects.

Last is two 81mm cans that will be mounted underneath my trailer. Lay them down on their side so they are only a few inches tall, lids out, and bolt up to the underside of the trailer. Should be really nice storage on both sides. Depending on your trailer or application, you can cut off the bottoms and weld them together to allow a long storage container running full trailer width. I cannot, my trailer tongue is in the way.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I have a .50cal that hold all my GoPro camera stuff. It works great because A) its not labeled "expensive GoPro inside" and B) it allows the magnet mount I made to stick to the bottom and be quiet without jumping around and scuffing up my other accessories. A piece of magnetic tape under the handle on top keep the handle from making noise in a rough bouncing Jeep.

Another .50 cal can holds random paints, fluids, and stuff that goes with my shop tools and projects.

Last is two 81mm cans that will be mounted underneath my trailer. Lay them down on their side so they are only a few inches tall, lids out, and bolt up to the underside of the trailer. Should be really nice storage on both sides. Depending on your trailer or application, you can cut off the bottoms and weld them together to allow a long storage container running full trailer width. I cannot, my trailer tongue is in the way.

That's a great idea for the 81mm cans! Got any photos of them under the trailer?

AFBronco235

Crew Chief
I was just thinking the other day that if someone made bladder bags for those 81mm cans, they'd make great water storage with a spigot on the lid. How much do you think those would hold in gallons?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I was just thinking the other day that if someone made bladder bags for those 81mm cans, they'd make great water storage with a spigot on the lid. How much do you think those would hold in gallons?

We can do some math... the dimensions of the 81mm ammo can are approximately 14" W x 5.5" D x 22.5" H. Multiplying that out results in 1732.5 cubic inches. Asking Google to convert 1732.5 cubic inches to gallons returns 7.5 U.S. liquid gallons.

Edit: the above dimensions are for the "short" 81mm can - the M120/M121 "tall" 81mm mortar can is a bit larger - 32″ high, 11″ wide, and 6″ deep - that works out to 2112 cubic inches, or a little over 9 gallons. (This can also seems to be called a 120mm can, both 81mm tall and 120mm seem to be used for it, although I've also found references to another "tall 81mm" that's 28.7" tall)

over_81mmtall.gif

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater