(Another) Forest Living Suburban Build Thread

Burb One

Adventurer
And there is already a factory metal guard on the inner side of the tank, next to the driveshaft. Maybe somethign akin to Stryder's mention, a plate that attaches on the rail edge and does bend up to attach to the factory shield that's already mounted. That gives a second skin, no / very little decrease in ground clearance and using just a plate it's no harm to the tank if you wind up squatting on it.

Ya, thats not a bad idea, just for a second skin which seems to be the only reasonable option.... maybe i'll be inspired one of these weekends to do it.

boll_rig

Adventurer
Dude! The Monstaliner job looks incredible! Really feeling the color now it changes everything.. and I like it. Do you notice the temp difference when you leave the car in the sun for a bit? The whole jobs seems like it actually is pretty feasible to do.. of course after seeing you pull it off so well. You know after you saying you were going to do yours I couldn't help but look at my suburban and picture it all tan, the same as the top.. Maybe some day..

Congrats your rig is looking ************!

Never made it up to the Bay area before I had to get back CO but hopefully next trip!

Burb One

Adventurer
Thanks Bollrig! I am definitely happy with it. The temp difference is ridiculous. I haven't measured but I would guess it stays at least 15 degrees cooler in the truck in direct sunlight. I had some Velcro that I had been meaning to replace on the dash because the glue would let go in the heat. Don't have a problem there anymore, so that's something.

On the paint, I ran out of stuff when doing it. (2.5 gallons is not enough for these trucks, you definitely need at least 3 or 4 if you do 2 layers) It's not perfect right now, I messed up in some areas (the rollers would start to break apart after a few minutes so some place have some sanding and finishing to be done (I'm just going to do another whole layer on the entire truck)) and I didn't take off much of the trim pieces so some places near the trim aren't perfect, but for right now from from a utilitarian perspective, it's exactly what I want and looks much better than the scratches/pin striping I had before:)

I've decided I am done working on major things the truck until next pre-summer maintenance time where the list currently stands at

1. another layer of this paint with all the trim removed and detail oriented finish
2. snorkel (Waiting for Jelorian to comment on his progress:) )
3. replace the radiator and engine compartment hoses
4. tackle the skid for the gas tank
5. We'll see what else gets added.

MINI-Trip Report:

Couldn't get away for more than a night last weekend so I went faux camping for one night to a very close to home at Del Valle reservoir in the Bay Area. It was awesome. Went wine tasting in Livermore, and then car camping there (less than 8 minutes from the wineries!!!!) It looks to get busy in the summer from the size of the parking lots, but the lake seemed empty when we were there on Saturday and went canoeing. Great close, easy getaway! Definitely reccomend if you need something close, or if you need facilities (Bathrooms, fire pits, beaches, picnic table, etc., etc.

20161022_173016.jpg
20161022_173029.jpg
20161022_173037.jpg
20161023_121221 (1).jpg

Jelorian

Adventurer
From the distances in the pics, it looks damn good. Heading into those tight trails with vegetation on both sides won't be such a big deal anymore.

Looks like you had a fun weekend! I've car camped at Lake Del Valle a few times and go fishing there at least 3-6 times a year. Usually rent a boat and head out. Nice little lake just outside of the greater SF bay area. I went exploring some BLM land 3 hours south of the SF Bay Area. I didn't take my rig, but jumped in with my buddy and his H2. Will post some pics of that too.

With regards to the snorkel install. I must say that it is pretty much done. Although I did run into some issues that were entirely my fault, hence the hesitation to post about it. I'll be posting a write up on it soon. Overall I'm happy with how it turned out. Hopefully I'll get to it later tonight.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Thanks Bollrig! I am definitely happy with it. The temp difference is ridiculous. I haven't measured but I would guess it stays at least 15 degrees cooler in the truck in direct sunlight. I had some Velcro that I had been meaning to replace on the dash because the glue would let go in the heat. Don't have a problem there anymore, so that's something.
Yeah, that's a real improvement. I normally don't care what color a vehicle is when I'm shopping, I usually have a list of "definitely wants", some "nice to have" and some "definitely don't wants" and color is usually the last consideration - unless it's black. I do enough driving in hot/sunny areas (and here in CO where we are at high altitude the problems can be even worse) that I don't ever want a black vehicle. When I was shopping for mine there were several black Z71s in my price range but I passed on them, even though they were in every other respect perfect for me. I noticed that on the used market, black Suburbans went for a lot less, I'm assuming because there are others like me who don't want them.
What kind of prep did you do for the Monstaliner? We put Monstaliner on our old wooden Teardrop trailer in 2013 and per the recommendations of the manufacturer, we actually put an aluminum-based primer (called "Chassis saver") on first. Did you need to rough up the paint in order to get the Monstaliner to stick?
If we ever get motivated enough we have thought about maybe doing some Monstaliner on the wife's YJ.

Burb One

Adventurer
Yeah, that's a real improvement. I normally don't care what color a vehicle is when I'm shopping, I usually have a list of "definitely wants", some "nice to have" and some "definitely don't wants" and color is usually the last consideration - unless it's black. I do enough driving in hot/sunny areas (and here in CO where we are at high altitude the problems can be even worse) that I don't ever want a black vehicle. When I was shopping for mine there were several black Z71s in my price range but I passed on them, even though they were in every other respect perfect for me. I noticed that on the used market, black Suburbans went for a lot less, I'm assuming because there are others like me who don't want them.
What kind of prep did you do for the Monstaliner? We put Monstaliner on our old wooden Teardrop trailer in 2013 and per the recommendations of the manufacturer, we actually put an aluminum-based primer (called "Chassis saver") on first. Did you need to rough up the paint in order to get the Monstaliner to stick?
If we ever get motivated enough we have thought about maybe doing some Monstaliner on the wife's YJ.
In Northern California it's not so bad, until you try to sleep in the vehicle during the day:) I'm with you. Seems my new favorite vehicle colors are white. Shows a little dirt but less scratches and less heat.

I just washed the truck, hit it with acetone, sanded, washed and then hit it with acetone again. Usually I'm more diligent on the prep work, but this paint is so forgiving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

norcal*PWRstroke

Adventurer
Not done yet..... but close!
Just need to weld the hitch receiver on the swing arm for my existing tire carrier/ jerrycan carrier to slot into, add some of the ambient lighting from the old bumper, attach the license plate to the bumper itself, as well as the license plate lights, weld the latch, and a few other finishing touches (champher the wedge where the swing arm rests, etc.), add a high lift lift point, etc.

Super excited about this, because, my end goal for having the swing arm so long, is to make an aluminum popup pole which will attach on the end, so that between that pole, and some quick disconnects on the top of the truck a windproof/storm proof shelter can be created off the back of the truck (With a ground attachment side next to the awing arm, to create a square box for the tarp/tent material and water will run down that way, away from the truck. This is just a long term plan, for now.... time to finish the bumper tomorrow, and add sliders to my drawers!:) I will upload pictures next week when it is all buttoned up and done!

View attachment 347622

nice looking bumper!:)
c3007a16-1.jpg

chilliwak

Expedition Leader

On the paint, I ran out of stuff when doing it. (2.5 gallons is not enough for these trucks, you definitely need at least 3 or 4 if you do 2 layers) It's not perfect right now, I messed up in some areas (the rollers would start to break apart after a few minutes so some place have some sanding and finishing to be done (I'm just going to do another whole layer on the entire truck)) and I didn't take off much of the trim pieces so some places near the trim aren't perfect, but for right now from from a utilitarian perspective, it's exactly what I want and looks much better than the scratches/pin striping I had before:)

I've decided I am done working on major things the truck until next pre-summer maintenance time where the list currently stands at

1. another layer of this paint with all the trim removed and detail oriented finish
2. snorkel (Waiting for Jelorian to comment on his progress:) )
3. replace the radiator and engine compartment hoses
4. tackle the skid for the gas tank
5. We'll see what else gets added.

MINI-Trip Report:

Couldn't get away for more than a night last weekend so I went faux camping for one night to a very close to home at Del Valle reservoir in the Bay Area. It was awesome. Went wine tasting in Livermore, and then car camping there (less than 8 minutes from the wineries!!!!) It looks to get busy in the summer from the size of the parking lots, but the lake seemed empty when we were there on Saturday and went canoeing. Great close, easy getaway! Definitely reccomend if you need something close, or if you need facilities (Bathrooms, fire pits, beaches, picnic table, etc., etc.

View attachment 372584
View attachment 372585
View attachment 372586
View attachment 372587

Nice looking set up there Geron! The bumper can sure support a lot of weight. Looks like you had fun on your trip. Thanks for posting those pics. Cheers, Chilli...:wings:

Burb One

Adventurer
Nice looking set up there Geron! The bumper can sure support a lot of weight. Looks like you had fun on your trip. Thanks for posting those pics. Cheers, Chilli...:wings:

Thanks Chilli!

I was originally worried about it.. Actually I had a half an inch between the bumper and the hitch, but with the weight, it started to sag on the mounts, so i welded a piece of 4x6x1/2 bar to the bottom on the bumper, and that threads into the hitch so the weight also is distributed on the hitch. Super, super stable I kept the same factory bumper mounts, thinking they are the stock "weak buckle point" if I get rear ended hard enough, hopefully it will dissipate some energy for the other people.... as well as not bend my frame, but I am not sure how much it will help, seeing that all the trucks have hitches, and those things are not moving, so not sure how much the bumper would have to give anyway before something hits the hitch. I figure I'm not going to worry about it, unless I'm rear ended by a semi.

The swing out, is with a 2000lb dual sheer hinge. I did the math, and if all of the weight is on the edge of the entire arm (it is acutally in the middle) It comes out to ~2000, so I should have maybe a safety factor of two. Saying that, I don't drive with it swung out, so it's nowhere near coming off. The main piece is actually a harbor fright carrier, but I ended up tearing it apart, and replacing much of it with 1/4 square tube and renforcing it. It isn't going anywhere.... It can even still swing down when unloaded for carrying stuff (never used it for that) but also as a convenient raised table platform or to keep stuff out of the mud when in camp.

Burb One

Adventurer
Well had some progress that last few weekends... Hoping to finish up some small ends (Door and latch for the winch stuff compartment) and painting this weekend. Had my buddy help me do the aluminum bending, he does awesome work....

Anyway, as the result of accidentally leaving the single rear swing arm un-pinned on some high speed bumps a few months ago, it swung loose and all the torque went on the poor 2000 pound hinge doing this....
20161203_152316.jpg

The new design uses two hinges on each end. I also cut up the bumper portion and rewelded some inner plates and now its a ~7 gallon air tank! I'll take more pictures next week when everything's painted and done....

507763618.jpg

507763622.jpg

Jelorian

Adventurer
Awesome update! Sorry to hear about bending your spindle. I guess it gave you an excuse to make version 2.0 better and stronger. Incorporating a 7 gal air tank into your bumper is sweet! I also like the storage box above your fuel/water cans. Good stuff man!!

rayra

Expedition Leader
Been crawling around under my Sub off and on the last couple weeks, getting ready to wrap up my big electrical / rear power install. Been eyeballing that fuel tank situation some more and took a bunch more pics. That metal shield on the tank facing the driveshaft is securely mounted and I believe there is sufficient room between it and the tank that it could serve as a mounting fixture for the upturned edge of a bottom plate. Akin to Atomic's red-line framing diagram. Or the hinged jeep idea. Some slots or tabs or added / welded nuts to that plate, then the 'second skin' metal plate overlays and is bolted to it (and the frame rail on the outer edge.

Bit of a problem protecting the back quarter of the tank, it is rearward of the trailing arm attachment / pivot point, so the 'second skin' would be floating out that end. No way to continue the edge mounting on the frame. But not really a problem unless you really get high centered on a boulder up in that location.

But I keep coming back to the idea of a flate plate, sized to match the entire footprint of the tank, but with a pair of bent locations so the 'second skin' plate just matches the tank body and is mounted with the same saddle straps that hold up the tank. The strap areas would be zero clearance with the tank and the bends would be sized to have the plate stand off from the tank by a 1/4" or so. That way there's some give or dent-ability before the tank itself is under pressure.

This is on my slow-glacier list of projects. I WILL get it figured out. Hopefully within this year. I will at least make a dimensioned pattern and see about finding a fabricator that can whip it out from my pattern. If I don't wind up doing it myself. I already have an 18" bending brake. A 30" model is only $60.

fueltankskin011_zpsrdvb0nvx.jpg
fueltankskin010_zpsnr2j65mo.jpg

fuel%20tank%20skin_zps2szhusx3.jpg

eta and since we have both the GMT800 Suburban and Tahoe it would be an easy thing to work up patterns for both. Given GM's penchant for using the same parts for as many vehicle models and years as possible, I'll probably find some similar geometry in common between the two, despite the capacity differences.

eta2

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Burb One

Adventurer
Took a trip to Moab a week ago. Some teaser pics, need to organize my pictures and my buddies' pictures. I'll do a photo dump at some point soon and a trip recap!

Moab is amazing. Could live there for years and not see everything. Truck was flawless. Put 3200 miles on her, more than 300 off road, only damage was some back luck with a rock scratch on a door and came down on one of my rear sway bar mounts and bent the busing/ mount, that's it. Couldn't believe what the truck was capable of doing.

Also, I know some people wanted a stance picture, so here's one fully loaded prior to the trip.

Teaser photos:

Fully Loaded:
20170319_211322.jpg

Saying hi:
DSC_9685.JPG

Going Skiing:
IMG_20170402_213130_708.jpg

The Point of the trip:
20170327_174748.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members