ANOTHER Guy With A Gen 2.5 Build - Sure, why Not? It's My First!

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
I'm about to install a front locker and they will help with steering. Also, now the front axles don't turn in 2WD for slightly better gas mileage and definite less parts wear. Plus, if I break a front axle on the trail I can unlock them and still drive home.

Great looking and performing rig. School me here, what's the advantage of manual locking hubs?

Imnosaint

Iron, but Gel
I'm about to install a front locker and they will help with steering. Also, now the front axles don't turn in 2WD for slightly better gas mileage and definite less parts wear. Plus, if I break a front axle on the trail I can unlock them and still drive home.

I see. Thank you.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
Kirk, what pressure do you plan to run in those 35's? Make sure you check them if you haven't already, the local tire shop aired my 33x9.50's up to 45psi. And make sure you post up your opinion on the handling with the cranked torsion bars and the 35's, I'm curious about any adverse effects before I do the same.

nckwltn

Explorer
2nd on the tire pressure. I was on the mid 40s. I was sure glad I checked because I was heading out on a 10day 2k mile trip first leg was across the desert at 100+ degrees.

Sent from my iPhone

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
I'll have to check the pressure from the shop. I'll probably start at 40 pounds and adjust from there. I ran my old 32" tires at 35.

The BFGs are WAAAAAAAAY smoother than the old tires and produce almost no road noise. The ride home from the shop was very surprising. Smooth and no shake whatsoever up to at least 85 mph. As far as the cranked TBs. I cranked them all the way and still want the front a little higher, so I may be looking into OME bars. I drove it for about 5 miles around town. It was a little stiffer, but definitely nothing I'll care about. I also left the rear sway bar disconnected and so far it is making little difference handling wise. I'll put more miles on this week and update again.

Kirk, what pressure do you plan to run in those 35's? Make sure you check them if you haven't already, the local tire shop aired my 33x9.50's up to 45psi. And make sure you post up your opinion on the handling with the cranked torsion bars and the 35's, I'm curious about any adverse effects before I do the same.

Last edited:

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
Front locker came in the mail today. Almost got it all the way installed, but the stock thrust washers were too worn. Hitting the dealer tomorrow for a new set.

10406807_10152602585539182_8164142400564957605_n.jpg

10487290_10152602585529182_499160032227059044_n.jpg

10488016_10152602585574182_655802501489407980_n.jpg

JamesW

Adventurer
That looks sweet with its makeover :drool:

With the lift try either cutting down or removing the front droop stops,and with the front lokka you won't be spinning a front tyre crazy fast then landing it into the floor,which would toast CV joints! If you have wound the torsion bars up as far as they go,wind them all the way back out,remove them and turn them one spline,and set your height again

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
Thanks. What does it do when you realign the torsion bars?

That looks sweet with its makeover :drool:

With the lift try either cutting down or removing the front droop stops,and with the front lokka you won't be spinning a front tyre crazy fast then landing it into the floor,which would toast CV joints! If you have wound the torsion bars up as far as they go,wind them all the way back out,remove them and turn them one spline,and set your height again

plh

Explorer
I don't think OME bars give more lift, they have a different (higher) spring rate than stock, but still rely on amount of cranking and bump stops (and other suspension components) for lift limits.

KIRK!

Amateur Philosopher
Got the Aussie Locker setup in the 4.636 front diff. Time to reassemble with all new seals so I can put it in the Monty soon.The rear is ready to go.

10492224_10152612595324182_646067889692215122_n.jpg

AND... I should have the laser cut rear diff skid plate pieces back this week. I ordered five complete sets, so if it works out to plan I can make more!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk