Any of you running 235/85/16 tires?

Scott Brady

Founder
I like 235/85s

Disco_SEMA.jpg

Cackalak Han

Explorer
Thanks for all the insights (albeit too technical and scientific for me. :sombrero: ). I picked up some older 16" 4Runner rims and will be putting these tires on them. Now I am in a dilemma whether to get BFG KO A/T's or MT's (not necessarily BFG's). Firestone MT's are $18 more than the BFG KO's. And about $20 more for GY MT's.

Last edited:

Cackalak Han

Explorer
So I finally got around to getting these tires. I decided on the BFG's. Cost, and better on-road manners swayed me towards them. I've been riding around on them since last week, and I have to say, I am pretty impressed and do not regret it one bit. I thought the E load range was going to ride like wagon wheels, but they're actually not bad at all. I really can't notice too much difference from the crappy stock Rugged Trails.

Also, I don't feel the extra heft/loss of power down low like I did with 265/70/17's in the past. I don't have the MPG figures, as I have not filled up yet, but I'm thinking it will be very close to stock.

Here are some pics.

I bought some used stock wheels on craigslist for DIRT cheap. All the clear coat was coming off and there were some scratches, so I decided to paint them.

IMG_0052.jpg

Black primer (I wish I could find paint in this color, as it looked pretty cool)
IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

Before measurements to the fenders (I marked it off with masking tape to get the same location both times).

Driver's side
IMG_0068.jpg

Pass side
IMG_0070.jpg

After lift:

Driver's side
IMG_0076.jpg

Pass side
IMG_0079.jpg

Height difference between stock and new. Note that the stock rubber is worn down, so the difference will not be a completely fair comparison.

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0075.jpg

Last edited:

TheRoadie

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
I have seen a lightweight Jeep with HD Michelin 52" tires running no valve cores. Does that mean there is no CP because there is no internal gas PSI? Of course not. It is just that the carcass is sufficient to bear the Fv load.
Thanks, Scott! I'm definitely getting it now.

The state with no valve cores made me laugh when I thought how that guy could possibly get a larger contact patch for rock crawling: Pull negative pressure in those tires! 0.8 ATM ... 0.75? :smileeek:

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
I love reviving old threads. Found this one since I am awaiting some General Grabber AT/2s in this size. The salesman stated they weren't recommended and that I would not like the ride. Got me worrying but all I have read prior to the order and now after are reassuring me they are the right choice.

Caoboy

Adventurer
I'm thinking really hard about running this size too. Anybody run these on a 2nd gen 4Runner?

And can I run these on some 16x7 4Runner wheels?

1stDeuce

Explorer
Lurker post... I have a Jeep, but I like the thread, so I'll toss out a little more info... I'm currently running 285's, but this winter I ran some 215/85R16's and LOVED them! I'm heading for 235/85's as my next tire. One of my neighbors is running 235/85 Cooper ST Maxx tires on a Rubicon (With 8" wide wheels!!) and they look awesome, and he really likes the way they work. Note that the ST Maxx has a fairly wide tread for a 235/85, so they actually look pretty good on the 8" wheel, but he did say that the tire shop had a little difficulty getting them to air up on the wide wheel. I'll be trying them on my 8" wheels too, so I think they'll be fine on a 7" wheel. But I think the BFG version has a really narrow tread, so they might prefer a wheel on the narrow side...

Ok, back to the Jeep section! :)
C

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
... I'll be trying them on my 8" wheels too, so I think they'll be fine on a 7" wheel. But I think the BFG version has a really narrow tread, so they might prefer a wheel on the narrow side...
The five different types of tires in this size I looked at all stated 7 or 7.5 was the max rim width to run. I'm going back to my stock wheels this time around.

I have Grabber A/T 2 in 235/85/16 on my 2010 Tacoma and they have been great. Super good in the snow. The ride seems fine.
Just what I wanted to know. Thanks. I don't encounter a whole lot of snow.

deadbeat son

Explorer
I'll be in need of new tires for my Tacoma this fall. I'm planning to go with a 235/85/16 on the stock alloy OR package wheels. I'm still debating between the Goodyear DuraTrac and the BFG AT-KO. I really wish Dunlop still made the MT Maxx Traction.

YotaPilot

Adventurer
Thanks for reviving this old thread. It really helped me understand tire size and the advantages of different sizes. When I get new tires for my Taco I'm going to try this size.

Any feedback on running 235/85/16 on stock 1st Gen Tacoma 16in wheels? Thats what I will be mounting to.

bullcrew

Observer
I'll be in need of new tires for my Tacoma this fall. I'm planning to go with a 235/85/16 on the stock alloy OR package wheels. I'm still debating between the Goodyear DuraTrac and the BFG AT-KO. I really wish Dunlop still made the MT Maxx Traction.

Don't know if duratracs comes in that size but compared to a bfg at it dominates it heavily.... I've ran a lot of tires and the duratracs is the most versatile tire that I've ran ever.....it comes in 3ply in the bigger sizes which is great for those of us who like rock piles....

A

agavelvr

I have about 2000 street miles on my Goodyear MTRs in 235/85 r16s. 04 tacoma with stock wheels and aftermarket suspension. Work great so far. Seems like the steering has actually improved a little. Being mud tires, there's a little more noise and vibration, but not as much as I had expected. Gas milage went down a little, but I don't have enough data to know if it is more than 1mpg. My particular tires are a bit heavier than what I ran before, so that probably effects the in town milage more than anything.

deadbeat son

Explorer
Don't know if duratracs comes in that size but compared to a bfg at it dominates it heavily.... I've ran a lot of tires and the duratracs is the most versatile tire that I've ran ever.....it comes in 3ply in the bigger sizes which is great for those of us who like rock piles....

The DuraTrac does come in that size, but I dislike the fact the siping is not full tread depth. A coworker wore through his siping in <1yr, and then the tires kind of sucked in the winter weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater