Anybody else want a small USEABLE 4X4?

shade

View attachment 540317

Here’s what I really miss...my favorite truck and one I wish I’d never sold....mine was a hot red colored, small, skinny, fun to drive, agile, 4 cyl, manual tranny gas sipping 4wd that took me everywhere. You’re right...These new “mid sized” trucks are too darn big.
That's a nice compact truck, not a midsize. While I agree that midsize have gotten bigger, and compacts can be fun, the compacts have completely disappeared from the U.S. market.

shade

I get it but these size pickups would never pass current safety regulations and that is why they're gone from these shores.
None of the trucks of that era could pass today. I think a compact could be made to pass today's standards, but it wouldn't sell well enough to justify the expense of developing or importing it. Toyota didn't drop the regular cab Tacoma on a whim. They didn't sell, so now they're gone.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Exactly! Right on the money. This is why I think the two door Jeep J-6 might make it. It the same wheelbase as the JKU, using the bed of the Gladiator. The cab of the Gladiator is the same as the JK/JKU from the front door frame forward, so the only new stamping is the back of the cab and the back corner of the roof, which might be really easy since it'd be so similar to the back of the Gladiator cab. The cost to build it is very low.

None of the trucks of that era could pass today. I think a compact could be made to pass today's standards, but it wouldn't sell well enough to justify the expense of developing or importing it. Toyota didn't drop the regular cab Tacoma on a whim. They didn't sell, so now they're gone.

shade

Exactly! Right on the money. This is why I think the two door Jeep J-6 might make it. It the same wheelbase as the JKU, using the bed of the Gladiator. The cab of the Gladiator is the same as the JK/JKU from the front door frame forward, so the only new stamping is the back of the cab and the back corner of the roof. The cost to build it is very low.
Jeep can also make a big splash with the novelty of it for a few years. After that, we'll see if all the oooooos & aaaahhhs add up to actual sales. Fair chance they won't.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I actually think there's a huge market for it in the "white truck" commercial world as a 2WD, especially with a LSD rear and a solid beam front axle. A cheap shop truck/hauler, perfect for the gardener or pool guy. Put a "Postal" back on it with RHD?

Jeep can also make a big splash with the novelty of it for a few years. After that, we'll see if all the oooooos & aaaahhhs add up to actual sales. Fair chance they won't.

billiebob

I think some have failed to see what I'm getting at, and maybe I'm just being too picky. "Mid-sized" trucks these days are HUGE compared to the older models, I don't need/want(or want to pay for) an extended cab. I have lots of old "restored" junk trust me, I've owned few vehicles newer than 20yo in my life. What I would like to have is a simple, no-frills work truck. A street-legal Roxor with a half cab would work, but the two door Gladiator in base trim would be better. I will wind up either buying a new F series if I can find a base model XL or maybe just hit the work truck re-sellers and find as new model Ranger XL as I can without going to the new body style problem is it's hard to find a 4X4 Ranger in base trim on the used market. While the VW thingie and the Halz thingie are absolutely cool and I'd love to have them, they are MILES away from the original topic.
Agreed, the Tacoma today is bigger than the first Tundra. While I'd love a Samari pickup, I'd say the best buy today is an XL F150. But for the money, I'd be shopping for a fully restored, box stock CJ6.

billiebob

these size pickups would never pass current safety regulations and that is why they're gone from these shores.
No, they are not here because import trucks still face a 30% chicken tariff from the 1960s. Which is why Fords Transit van built in Europe is imported with rear seats which are shredded as soon as they pass thru Customs.

billiebob

I think a compact could be made to pass today's standards, but it wouldn't sell well enough
Which is exactly why Ram no longer makes a regular cab. I love 'em but if you want 2 doors, you buy used. Just like a clutch, I don't think anyone makes a full size with a standard transmission.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Transits are now built in Kansas. Additionally, Toyota and Nissan were manufacturing their small pickups here, they just upsized them with the changing regulations and markets. Mitsubishi and Isuzu didn't follow suit and faded away.

No, they are not here because import trucks still face a 30% chicken tariff from the 1960s. Which is why Fords Transit van built in Europe is imported with rear seats which are shredded as soon as they pass thru Customs.

Last edited:

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
Ram does sell a regular cab in 2500 and 3500 chassis.

Which is exactly why Ram no longer makes a regular cab. I love 'em but if you want 2 doors, you buy used. Just like a clutch, I don't think anyone makes a full size with a standard transmission.

shade

I actually think there's a huge market for it in the "white truck" commercial world as a 2WD, especially with a LSD rear and a solid beam front axle. A cheap shop truck/hauler, perfect for the gardener or pool guy. Put a "Postal" back on it with RHD?

If that was the case, why did manufacturers already abandon that type of vehicle?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl

Members online