Anyone here using an XP Campers tray/flatbed?

longroad2nowhere

The xp stuff is nice, but man is it crazy expensive. If you have a little bit of design knowledge, and know a good welder you could work with, you could get it done for half the price. I'm currently working on a flatbed for myself, and sure aluminum isnt cheap, but I think I paid around $1400 for all the aluminum. May end up needing one more sheet depending on what size I end up going with for storage boxes, but man that is still only like 1/10 the price of an xp. I'm sure you could get some welding and design help from someone local for another few thousand bucks and still be under $5k.

kmacafee

Adventurer
Alum-Line here. Right around $6600 delivered to my door and built in Iowa. Yes it uses u-bolts to attach it to the truck, but most modern trucks have very little frame flex. SD's 1999-2016 still flex quite a bit, but otherwise, there is very little to worry about on that front. IMHO. Customized to fit my frame extension and specifications.
IMG_2458-L.jpg

IMG_2459-L.jpg

IMG_2460-L.jpg

Looks more proportionate with the camper installed.
IMG_2726-L.jpg

IMG_2727-L.jpg

I found out after I got my bed that they will do a center rear under bed drawer.

Jack
I have an Alumline with the drawer under the bed. It raises the bed a few inches but provides lots of storage. My Bundutec camper is side entry.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I have an Alumline with the drawer under the bed. It raises the bed a few inches but provides lots of storage. My Bundutec camper is side entry.

I wasn't sure about the drawer raising the bed or not, but your combo is where I learned of the drawer from Alum-line. Your camper was actually the one right after ours on the floor. Got to see it when we were picking ours up.

Jack

mmaaddmmaaxx

I can only praise XP trays! Marc knows what he is doing and I like the stuff been build in America! It may seem pricey, but as with most things in life you get what you pay for... I spent over a year researching all kind of bed options for my 2nd Gen Dodge 2500 and I'm glad I spent more to get best bed on the market today. Of course that's just my opinion... As for the argument this could be build for half if you have the right tools etc... That argument is nonsense.... The tools needed to build a bed like XP would cost you a fortune! and besides I'm not sure how other people value time... I'm for one don't wanna spent all my free time for month building a flatbed. I rather do my job and make money and have somebody build this who does this stuff for a living!

Below a link to a blog post about my setup from SavageCamper. If anybody wants some more input reply or PM me and I answer and questions...

https://www.savagecamper.com/custom-overland-ram-2500-truck-cummins-diesel/

HayStax

I can only praise XP trays! Marc knows what he is doing and I like the stuff been build in America! It may seem pricey, but as with most things in life you get what you pay for... I spent over a year researching all kind of bed options for my 2nd Gen Dodge 2500 and I'm glad I spent more to get best bed on the market today. Of course that's just my opinion... As for the argument this could be build for half if you have the right tools etc... That argument is nonsense.... The tools needed to build a bed like XP would cost you a fortune! and besides I'm not sure how other people value time... I'm for one don't wanna spent all my free time for month building a flatbed. I rather do my job and make money and have somebody build this who does this stuff for a living!

Below a link to a blog post about my setup from SavageCamper. If anybody wants some more input reply or PM me and I answer and questions...

That’s bro-tastic dude! A built in kegerator! Gnar points for days! Am I using enough exclamation points!

Scoutman

Explorer

I have a question for anyone who has the tray that the camper attaches to. How is that tray held to the flatbed portion? In the video you mention there are 4 bolts that hold it down but I'm not real clear on how what you pointed to connects the frame to the bed.

Also, how does the lid of the drawer seal against the drawer? Seems like dust and dirt flowing under the truck would work it's way into that hinged lid.

How sturdy are the end caps on that bumper? Seems the little thumb screw that holds that cap down could get damaged easily or the end caps mangled.

The front bumper in that video, is that something that XP made or is that an aluminum version of a Buckstop?

Last edited:

Scoutman

Explorer
As a few of you have mentioned this being a home project, I personally am not interested in building this myself. I have plenty of skill and equipment to do so but honestly have no desire or time.

Chorky

Observer
Not to hijack or start a argument (for lack of better wording), but although these are all really nice options but I must say I'm baffled that nobody has done similar work only with a utility bed style. I understand they need to be modified to fit a camper, but if you're already doing a custom bed, why not add the upper side boxes (as in utility bed style, not just a box on a flatbed, theres a difference). Maybe it's just me, but although a camper on a flatbed offers a lot more inside room, there doesn't seem to be any good options for recovery/gear storage. I'm curious to hear what some of you have done to solve that. If its true expo. type stuff that is being done (or even just very long trips in remote areas, not necessary jeep trails) then where do you find room to store the jacks, tools, parts, recovery straps, saws, gas, oil, safety gear, etc., etc...). Personally I love what Moto has done with the Alaskan/utility bed combo and plan to do something similar. Honest question here.

Scoutman

Explorer
For me, and the reason for starting this thread, is I want more utility than what my factory bed currently offers. My reasoning for thinking along the lines of flat bed and not utility bed is for what it's used for when the canopy is removed. We have a small farm and the truck gets used for all sorts of things and having the extra square feet of tray space trumps the higher box storage. A tray is like a huge 3 sided table that's always ready to use. A buddy of mine had a flatbed on his dodge and it was very useful for all sorts of tasks.

I think (when referencing the XP Trays) that the 4 large under tray boxes, a long drawer, and a behind-the-cab closet will be more than enough storage for the day to day things that stay with the truck. I have a very full truck box now and I want to make sure I have room and better access for those things in the end.

We're not planning to put a camper on this tray which I know some would. What we're looking at doing is to have a half width behind-the-cab closet that will store the fridge and have a shelf above. This would stay with the truck all the time. The other half would be for the spare tire. Since we're working with an 8' bed we should have enough room left for a 6.5' tray canopy that would be removable. The canopy would be setup for easy to access camping and cooking gear with a rtt on top. I daily drive this truck and have run with the rack and a large and heavy cvt rtt on it for 2 years now. It's do-able but I would like to shed that extra gear when it's not needed.

I believe all the gear you mention @Chorky would fit in the under tray boxes. We do not carry a chainsaw so associated items are not needed. Most trees we encounter can either be handled with a large silky saw, dragging it out of the way, or finding another route.
-drivers front box: 4 ammo cans, 4 soft storage bags, bottle jack, fire extinguisher
-pass front box: 2-4 chairs, a go-bag, lynx levelers, space for other stuff as needed.
-drivers rear box: water pump, water tank fill, water filters, transfer pump, sprayer hose, cleaning supplies, dog water and food bowls.
-pass rear box: onboard air compressor, air hoses, air up and down kits,
-drawer: hi-lift, shovel, fishing poles, axe, tool kit, jumper cables, recovery straps, recovery gear, etc.
-cab closet: dual zone fridge on a tilting slide, upper shelf for soft and light items that I want to easily access.

Having these compartments down low is also good for the family being able to access items. Right now everything is buried in a truck bed toolbox that's so high off the ground no one but me can reach and a lot of times I keep a folding step to do so. My wife is pretty tall and still has issues getting to things in the fridge even with the step.

We have a 2 week trip to South Africa and Namibia this next spring and are renting a Land Cruiser that has a rear canopy setup. We're going to wait till after that trip to see how we like the setup before making any changes to our current setup.

Maybe it's just me, but although a camper on a flatbed offers a lot more inside room, there doesn't seem to be any good options for recovery/gear storage. I'm curious to hear what some of you have done to solve that. If its true expo. type stuff that is being done (or even just very long trips in remote areas, not necessary jeep trails) then where do you find room to store the jacks, tools, parts, recovery straps, saws, gas, oil, safety gear, etc., etc...).

I think what this thread is missing is some XP Tray storage images. Being short of storage is not normally an issue raised by our clients. But we will always do our best to accommodate specific storage needs.

Personally my wife and I lived in our V1 for six months of continuous ski camping; we had a single cab truck and our flatbed had a drawer but no boxes. We had all the gear you describe and lots of other stuff as we had moved house into the camper.
5.jpg
5.png4.jpgi-xRkpsNm-X2.jpg85972c3902ff536a2aa5dfcc47859ba4.jpg12694675_1184046414956947_2753771800869333809_o.jpgIMG_2051-1024x768.jpgmed_gallery_4_29_50698.jpgSyncro-and-Mills-067-1280x853.jpgSyncro-and-Mills-070-1280x853.jpg

Last edited:

windtraveler

Observer
Alum-Line here. Right around $6600 delivered to my door and built in Iowa. Yes it uses u-bolts to attach it to the truck, but most modern trucks have very little frame flex. SD's 1999-2016 still flex quite a bit, but otherwise, there is very little to worry about on that front. IMHO. Customized to fit my frame extension and specifications.
IMG_2458-L.jpg

IMG_2459-L.jpg

IMG_2460-L.jpg

Looks more proportionate with the camper installed.
IMG_2726-L.jpg

IMG_2727-L.jpg

I found out after I got my bed that they will do a center rear under bed drawer.

Jack
Great looking combo. Jealous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven