ARB Bull Bar Install

While the Disco is in the shop having a couple of minor issues fixed (I hate doing brakes, so they are replacing the master cylinder and bleeding the brakes... I will GLADLY pay people to do that!), I just took delivery of my brand new ARB Bull Bar.

....one thing you can say is that ARB.... doesn't cram their products into a small package. The package took up a bit of room in the FedEx Freight truck!

4479807907_224d7224bd_b.jpg

*** It is bigger than my father-in-law's Volvo! MUCH bigger than the Samurai! ***
*** Note the cardboard left over from disassembling the rack box - is there a secondary cardboard market? If so, I am RICH! ***

I was looking over the instructions... and the manual... and it seems that this is pretty straightforward to install. HOWEVER, I get a little wary when I think that this has ANYTHING to do with the SRS system - not that I think it does, I just want to make sure it doesn't.

I read a couple of other install threads regarding the ARB bumper, but they were all for Tacomas...

So, anyone want to offer me reassurance that this is as simple as I think it is to install?

....also, it looks like I can install the winch without having to drop the bumper... and since I am in the winch market right now... even if I have to drop the bumper to install one, then... so be it... the bumper is going on tomorrow... sans winch..

...of course, my wife said that my "wench" was going to help me put it on.. but she keeps getting nervous about my comments about the winch being down there on the bumper... she just wants to make sure that the winch goes there.. and the wench goes in the right seat...

4480461102_6f9f56a6a7.jpg

*** Packed and ready to go! ***

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
1. Undo headlight washers first from the system
2. Remove Front Bumper
3. Get buddy to help lift ARB
4. Install bolts and tighten and adjust bumper
5. Admire Bumper
6. Go offroad and tweak bumper
7. Post in For Sale section of Dweb
8. Buy and install Rovertym front bumper
9. Enjoy

roverrocks

Expedition Leader
Yes, the ARB bullbars do stick out way too far. They don't help your approach angle at all. You wind up hitting going up and coming down. I've mangled mine sliding up and down ledges and rocks. Just had it straitened and heavily reinforced. Probably will mangle it again. It is like one big rock slider though. Protects other underside stuff as you slide up and down. I would get something else if I had it to do over again. They bend fairly easily.

lwg

Yes, the ARB bullbars do stick out way too far. They don't help your approach angle at all. You wind up hitting going up and coming down. I've mangled mine sliding up and down ledges and rocks. Just had it straitened and heavily reinforced. Probably will mangle it again. It is like one big rock slider though. Protects other underside stuff as you slide up and down. I would get something else if I had it to do over again. They bend fairly easily.

I've had mine for four years and had no problems with it bending. It will sometimes touch the ground on steep approach angles, but generally if I go in at an angle it doesn't touch at all. Overall I'm very happy with mine and have yet to find a DII front bumper I'd trade it for, but that's a personal preference really...

jrose609

Explorer
I've had mine for four years and had no problems with it bending. It will sometimes touch the ground on steep approach angles, but generally if I go in at an angle it doesn't touch at all. Overall I'm very happy with mine and have yet to find a DII front bumper I'd trade it for, but that's a personal preference really...

I agree with Larry. I love the looks of them. I have a Safari Gard, and its a nice bumper, but not a huge fan of the slimline look. it does have a great approach angle though.....

Larry, I'm gonna be in Portland next Monday and Tuesday with Ben Bailey. We are gonna go stir up some dirt if you wanna join. .

evilfij

Explorer
Did you get airbag or non-airbag model?

Non-airbag is ok. Not hard to install, just bolt it up.

Also, the ideal for a DI ARB is actually to fit a RRC ARB as it tucks in closer to the grill.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
It is pretty straight forward to install, the only trick I can think of is to leave 1/2" cap between the bumper and the body panels.

Does the D1 ARB have the vertical pinning bolts the same way as the 03-04 D2 bumper does? I wonder if they've changed the D1 to this much better design yet.

Borrego60

Rendezvous Conspiracy
I love my ARB Sahara Bar. I feel safer with it up front. This one is also Air bag compliant.
trucklfitinstall020.jpg

MVC-012S.jpg

MVC-003S.jpg

Last edited:

timmy!!!!!!!

Explorer
It is pretty straight forward to install, the only trick I can think of is to leave 1/2" cap between the bumper and the body panels.

Does the D1 ARB have the vertical pinning bolts the same way as the 03-04 D2 bumper does? I wonder if they've changed the D1 to this much better design yet.

Doubt it that would be a major undertaking to change the retooling for one bumper.

overlander

Expedition Leader
Reminder that ARB bullbars are primarily designed to protect the cooling system in the event of a collision with large animals like kangaroo and cattle. Most of Australia's backroads are unfenced, and collisions are common. that is why the engineering of the bullbars has them sticking out a bit. being disabled 100's of miles in the outback is a dangerous situation.

The ARB on my Defender sticks out as well, and I'm ok with that, as saving the cooling system and front end body damage when far from populated areas is more important to me than a few degrees of approach angle. If I bend an ARB, I can likely make it out to help, and insurance can buy me a new bumper. bolt off-bolt new one on.

A closely fitting bumper has it's obvious merits, but it has it's risks as well, as there is no buffer space to absorb a significant impact, which means coolant system and body damage.

Those that complain about the ARB's prioritize approach angle, which is fine as well. Everyone must decide their own likely risks and protection level.

If you are doing backroad overland style travel, which will take you into free ranging livestock or large animal areas, than cooling system protection will likely be what you need. For rock crawling, close fitting bumpers that offer steep approaches, solid recovery anchor points and protection from ledge damage is going to be the priority. No vehicle is master in every category of travel.

As an anecdote, I was in Oz for 10 days a few years ago, traveling up the East coast from Sydney to Brisbane, and hit a kangaroo just on that one trip. And thinking about how often I crossed cattle guards when living in Phoenix and Northern AZ, I think I'll keep the
ARB.

R_Lefebvre

Expedition Leader
Doubt it that would be a major undertaking to change the retooling for one bumper.

If not, I might suggest that the OP get everything aligned, then take the bumper back off, but leave the crush cans installed. Go to a welder and have him make a couple tacks from the cans to the frame. That will help the "tweaking" issue a lot. Not fully welded. Just 2 1/2" welds per side. (so 8 total). They could be cut later if required for removal.

I'm less concerned about the ARB bumper moving from impacts with the ground, as not everybody here is into rock crawling... as evidenced by the forum's name. ;) But, the bumper should at least be able to withstand a high-angle winch pull if it's equiped with a winch.

The 03-04 ARB mounting at least, appears to be much improved. It has 2 vertical pinning bolts, right through top and bottom of the frame. The crush cans themselves require 16,000lbs of force to bend. The problem with the bumper moving isn't the cans I don't believe, it's the mounting to the frame. A couple tack welds on the earlier designs would improve this.

Wander

Expedition Leader
When installing one on a friends YJ we used a floor jack to help hold it in place while we bolted it up, saves the back.

That is my only concern... holding it in place while I get the bolts on... I was thinking of some sort of wiring... or a box... it isn't that heavy, it is just unwieldy (sp)....

As for approach angle, I am not one who rock crawls - if I am doing something that technical, I have a Jeep. I am more interested in not getting creamed by a deer or a cow... as the OP mentioned, these are more real, more immediate concerns than whether I can get onto or off of a rock...

Not saying that is isn't an important consideration... just isn't that big of a deal to me...

As for where I purchased it from; I got it from Larry... at Columbia Overland... he didn't pack it though... ;-)

Anyone need a spare storage shed... or perhaps even a cardboard coffin... it is just about the right size...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3