Arctic Ocean Expedition: March-April, 2007

paulj

Expedition Leader
The Wildernest people also sold a frost liner - basically cotton sheeting fitted to hang over the sleeping area of the tent. It was supposed to allow vapor to pass through, and to keep any frost that forms on the inside of the tent from falling on the occupants.

paulj

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
paulj said:
The Wildernest people also sold a frost liner - basically cotton sheeting fitted to hang over the sleeping area of the tent. It was supposed to allow vapor to pass through, and to keep any frost that forms on the inside of the tent from falling on the occupants.
Cool, never seen one of those. What a good idea. I usually just have a beach towel thrown over the gear loft, which keeps you from getting water torture.

Scott Brady

Founder
2/9 Blog Update:

2/9/07: Scott

Big freaking hammer (BFH) to fit the BFG's

Today was productive with a trip to a new outdoor store in Prescott called Manzanita Outdoor, a locally owned business with high quality gear. Chris and I are trying to decide on the best approach for pants and jackets, but we are leaning towards lots of layers and a high tech (but thin) outer. The main benefit is to not spend a bunch of money on something we won't use very often (living in Arizona).

But the big challenge for the afternoon was fitting the tires on the truck. Not just being able to drive down the highway and pose at the SEMA show, but fit a 34x11.5" (295/75 R16 BFG AT) tire on the Tacoma with full travel range. Not an easy task.

1. Washer fluid bottle: Tire hit the cover and was threatening to rip the hose out of the pump. So, we rotated the pump and the hose to the other side and trimmed a bunch of the plastic cover away.
2. Bumper contac: On full stuff, the tire hit the ARB bumper. First use of the BFH.
3. Flare: After a full lock to the frame, the tire needs to travel back out in the opposite arch, which would catch the lip of the flare and try to rip the whole thing off. We cut the flare and hammered (second use of the BFH) the flare bracket back slightly. We got lucky and that worked
4. Seam weld. Final use of the BFH, hammering the seam weld flat and even back into the footwell a 1/4".

Now the tires fit!

We also started the installation of the new, custom valved coil-overs from Donahoe. More on that tomorrow and a new box of goodies from Columbia and Brunton...

flywgn

Explorer
Scott/Chris--

Have you considered on-board cameras. I'm thinking of the kind that Micron placed on the Gordon/Grider Hummer for the Dakar Rally. You can see some of the video shot HERE. Those videos are also on You Tube.

It would be cool if you could upload video to something like You Tube for all of us drooling wannabees at home.

Also maybe some satellite-tracking equipment like Iritrack or such???

Allen R

Willman

:iagree:

That would be a great idea!!!

I think Scott/Chris:rally_guys: need a live web cam in Scott garage so we can watch all the action!!!!:mixed-smiley-030: This action would make for a new reality show!!!! I bet trying to make those BFG's fit had some tempers flying!!!!

:bigbossHL:

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
Willman said:
I think Scott/Chris:rally_guys: need a live web cam in Scott garage so we can watch all the action!!!!

I think Scott would love to have room in his garage for a web cam...It's a feat just to get work done with all the stuff he has in there!

toyrunner95

Explorer
the first of april huh? i know the guys at arb, they are right next to where i work, kind of. anyway, which 4wd trail are you planning on staying at, there are quite a few. evans creek is fairly easy to stay at and go wheeling 311 upper and lower are fairly easy trails to have fun on for a couple hours. not too muddy or slick im sure the guys at arb will show u around. keep me posted.

u guys rock!

Willman

toyrunner95 said:
the first of april huh? i know the guys at arb, they are right next to where i work, kind of. anyway, which 4wd trail are you planning on staying at, there are quite a few. evans creek is fairly easy to stay at and go wheeling 311 upper and lower are fairly easy trails to have fun on for a couple hours. not too muddy or slick im sure the guys at arb will show u around. keep me posted.

u guys rock!

Evan's Creek would be a good trail but a little tight for a trailer! I would take it off and plan on having a babysitter for it!!! Those trailer trash down their would love to get their hands on that one!!!...JK

:ylsmoke:

Last edited:

toyrunner95

Explorer
true it might get stolen, but you dont have to take it up to the trail. im sure one of the people on the board would let u leave it at their house for a day, hell ill offer up mine, it wont get touched. we can put them in the garage.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion

paulj

Expedition Leader
The newsgroup account that I referenced earlier talked about picking up a second hand snow mobile suit for the cold weather drive. As you pass through Alberta you may be able to find something like this on sale at season closeouts. I'd check the online adds for Canadian Tire.

I don't own such a suit, so can't tell you much about them, but they are designed to protect you while sitting outside while the wind blows by at 30 mph or more. It probably isn't as great as layering if your activity level changes, but for sitting around it may be a good yet relatively inexpensive choice.

paulj

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
paulj said:
The newsgroup account that I referenced earlier talked about picking up a second hand snow mobile suit for the cold weather drive. As you pass through Alberta you may be able to find something like this on sale at season closeouts. I'd check the online adds for Canadian Tire.

Not going to find much of that stuff at Canuckian Wheel anymore. It's pretty much all gone by February. Marks Work Warehouse is a much better choice up here.

pwc

Explorer
If you want warmth under you, get one of these
http://exped.com/exped/web/exped_homepage.nsf/b43HomePageE?openframeset

Exped is now owned by Outdoor Reaserach (HQ here in Seattle) and these mats are REALLY nice. They take more effort than your average Thermarest to inflate, but with 3.5" of 700 fill down, it's hard to get cold from the ground. I've only used mine once on freezing ground and I honestly lost more heat from the crappy sleeping bags I was using at the time than from the ground. the ground side was WARM. It's a true luxury. Heck, they might even sponsor you as well.

Another option is just one of the other mats or one of the ThermaRest thick ones. Since you're not packing them, weight it less of an issue (as evident by the 7.5lb -20 bag).

I also second the Marmot bags. I've had a Coulior (sp?) long for a long time now and am still amazed at how warm it keeps me. Half burried in a snow bank halfway up Mt. Rainier in a bivy sack and I was sleeping in what I sleep in at home. Second endorsement: My wife is notriously cold and anytime the temps get near freezing she has a hard timing sleeping. I finally broke down and bought her a 0F womens Marmot bag. She spent 3 weeks sleeping in it in a tent in Nepal on the Everest Basecamp loop. Altitudes around 13,000 feet and freezing every night. Others were wearing their down coats to bed while she was comfortable the whole time and raved about it upon her return.

So anyway, that's my input. Don't skimp on good sleeping gear as a good night's sleep makes all the difference when you face adversity.

As for storing the trailer while on the trail. If you leave them at an established campgound you should be fine. You're also welcome to leave them at my house but I won't be held responsible for the additional drool on them. Or dog piss on the tires.

BajaTaco

Swashbuckler
Ok, trying to catch up here...

Dave: Thanks for the great tip. I had thought of that myself, but not about the bubble scree stuff, so thank you. And thanks for your encouragement on the bag. Under the circumstances, I think it will work well.

A note to all: Regarding the circulation of cold air beneath the tent, here are my thoughts; The tent is mounted over an enclosed area that will be filled with gear and items that will minimize the effect, so I am not so worried about the half of the tent that sits over the bed of the truck, which is where our torsos (core) and heads will rest. For the half that flips open over the edge of the bed, (the half for our legs) it will be a concern, so the idea of using a compact, heat retention solution is good. The bulky mats, mattresses and such will be more of an issuse. This is because we'll need to create an even surface to sleep on, so even if we only need it at the legs, we'll have to cover the whole area. That ends up being a lot of potential bulk that we can't leave in the tent when it is closed up. (It won't close with anything thick in there, beyond the matress that comes with it). We need to be careful not to rely too much on what we carry in the trailer, if for any reason we need to leave it behind.

Allen, thanks for bringing up the cameras. Yes, we have definitely considered them, and we will be getting a lot of footage from inside the cab. I am also looking into the options for doing live tracking. I've actually been reading up on that in the past couple of days. I'll be sure to post up when we come up with something on that.

Nic: We have started filming the shop stuff, but no plans for a live webcam at this time. (dang!)

To the WA guys, thanks for the tips and suggestions regarding the trails. We'll keep the website updated once we get it finalized.

pskhaat: Thanks for the info. We're almost set on our clothing layers.

PWC, thanks for the offer to park the trailer. We probably won't need to though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat