At last, A 12 valve sits in my driveway!

Tahoe Diesel

Observer
NICE! That rig looks fresh, dig the rims! A nice 12valve like that would be my next choice if this Tahoe doesn't work out. - Congrats!

SChandler

Adventurer
The factory engine temp gauge is the water temp, not the oil temp. The factory thermostat opens in the 180-190 range, so I wouldn't worry too much about temps in that range. 210-220 is probably as high as you'd want to go sustained for the motor.

Terrainist

Explorer
I've got a 93' Dodge diesel, auto, 4x4, ext. cab with stock size tires. That would be 31 inch. At 72 mph empty with no tailgate gets about 17.5 mpg. Had 18.3 mpg at 63 with a tailwind, loaded with 2,000 pounds and a camper.

Might need a tune up to see if more mpg could be squeezed out of it.

Congrats on finding a truck. Might consider getting another transmission cooler for it to keep the temps down.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I'm talking engine temp. I assumed it was coolant temp, no? Oil temp is the factory temp gauge? I plan to install a trans temp, egt and fuel pressure gauges when fundage allows.

OOPS!

I mistook oil for coolant temp.

edited my post:snorkel:

Rot Box

Explorer
I find that road debris damages the radiator and trans cooler fins right behind the bumper on these trucks. While your temps aren't out of line by any means you may want to check this area (look through the open gaps in the bumper) and bend any damaged fins back into shape while removing all the junk wedged inside them. If you take a garden hose you can really blow out a lot of the crap from both directions out of the radiator, ac condenser, intercooler and trans cooler.

I'm a firm believer that every truck should have a screen in front of all the heat exchangers. A few bucks spent at Lowe's will pay off in the long run :bike_rider:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I find that road debris damages the radiator and trans cooler fins right behind the bumper on these trucks. While your temps aren't out of line by any means you may want to check this area (look through the open gaps in the bumper) and bend any damaged fins back into shape while removing all the junk wedged inside them. If you take a garden hose you can really blow out a lot of the crap from both directions out of the radiator, ac condenser, intercooler and trans cooler.

I'm a firm believer that every truck should have a screen in front of all the heat exchangers. A few bucks spent at Lowe's will pay off in the long run :bike_rider:

I think that is a good place to start. I will give it a clean up when it comes back from it's inspection today. Looks a little bit too small now on the 285s and stock wheels. The 35s make the red truck mean looking though. I will try to sell the 35s with the red truck as I would prefer an aggresive AT to the MT.
I always laughed at people who complain about tire noise on a diesel, but these ones really howl! Maybe KM2s? Are they wearing well on heavier rigs?

1speed

Explorer
I think that is a good place to start. I will give it a clean up when it comes back from it's inspection today. Looks a little bit too small now on the 285s and stock wheels. The 35s make the red truck mean looking though. I will try to sell the 35s with the red truck as I would prefer an aggresive AT to the MT.
I always laughed at people who complain about tire noise on a diesel, but these ones really howl! Maybe KM2s? Are they wearing well on heavier rigs?

I'm running 315/75/16 KM2's on my truck and they are wearing very well. Overall I really like them although they have yet to see snow or ice.

If you need some 2" leveling blocks for the front send me a pm.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I am running the 315 ******** Cepeks and they do rub slightly at full lock. I am glad to hear the KM2s are wearing well. I have alwys liked them. Are they as quiet as people say? I have heard they are close to an AT in the noise dept...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
So "the man" says I gotta spring for a new track bar and sway bar ends. Anyone have any input on the BD heavy duty adjustable track bar? I hear Moog is no longer offering their "lifetime" guaranty on these things. Only $80 difference at my cost, but I'll only spend it if there is a reason. I won't be doing more than a leveling kit and I think the BD is aimed at the big lifts. Thoughts??

Rot Box

Explorer
Maybe KM2s? Are they wearing well on heavier rigs?

I LOVE my KM2's. I have also not tried them out in snow and ice, but they have worked so well up till now that its doubtful I will buy anything else for this truck. My rig weighs a lot and they are wearing fine and the road noise is hardly noticeable with with the turbo diesel.

So "the man" says I gotta spring for a new track bar and sway bar ends. Anyone have any input on the BD heavy duty adjustable track bar? I hear Moog is no longer offering their "lifetime" guaranty on these things. Only $80 difference at my cost, but I'll only spend it if there is a reason. I won't be doing more than a leveling kit and I think the BD is aimed at the big lifts. Thoughts??

The "man" must be mistaken. These parts come worn out from the factory--its completely normal! LOL :snorkel: :bike_rider:

I don't care for Moog "problem solver" rod ends or ball joints. That is not gospel just my personal opinion. I have found the NAPA brand to last longer and hold up better than anything else as far as stock replacement goes. Also if you need new bushings I prefer to use Energy brand poly anytime I change out sway bar components or suspension bushings. The difference is night and day compared to the stock rubber stuff.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I don't care for Moog "problem solver" rod ends or ball joints. That is not gospel just my personal opinion. I have found the NAPA brand to last longer and hold up better than anything else as far as stock replacement goes. Also if you need new bushings I prefer to use Energy brand poly anytime I change out sway bar components or suspension bushings. The difference is night and day compared to the stock rubber stuff.

I agree with you on the problem of the "problem solvers". That is what failed me on the inspection. Luckily my "parts" truck had a new oem tracbar and sway bar for the "man". Don Thuren told me about the solidsteel 3rd gen bracket kit. I think that is the way I will go when this oem tb is dead. Should be about 4-5 weeks right?:elkgrin: ( it says "elkgrin" but I think it is a moose!)

I also posted up on BC4x4 about trading my MTs for ATs and as I suspected, I will get my choice of 85-95% tread ATs to quiet things down a bit on the long tows that this truck was intended for. We get lots of rain here in the winter, but it falls more on rock than dirt so ATs are fine.

I just have to do one upper balljoint and then I should get the truck through inspection and then I can start boltin' on some goodies...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My battle with provincial vehicle inspectors continues... I replaced all the parts that they wanted and went for a re-inspect. Fail. Again. Now they say "since you have changed the tracbar, we can now see that there is slight play in some other steering components". I told the guy (an old family friend) that he was starting to really make me unhappy. Did I mention that he said there was "play" in the new tracbar? I went to another inspection facility and they laughed at the whole thing! No problem. Truck will pass as soon as they can book it in! What a pita! Kinda makes you wonder...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC