At last, A 12 valve sits in my driveway!

Maximus Ram

Expedition Leader
My battle with provincial vehicle inspectors continues... I replaced all the parts that they wanted and went for a re-inspect. Fail. Again. Now they say "since you have changed the tracbar, we can now see that there is slight play in some other steering components". I told the guy (an old family friend) that he was starting to really make me unhappy. Did I mention that he said there was "play" in the new tracbar? I went to another inspection facility and they laughed at the whole thing! No problem. Truck will pass as soon as they can book it in! What a pita! Kinda makes you wonder...

I would wonder too...did someone in the family make him mad in the passed..always funny how different shops can find some wrong,even with new parts...:coffeedrink:

DrMoab

Explorer
Im curious how fast one needs to go in order to get a $368.00 speeding ticket that isn't in a commercial vehicle? Construction zone?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
94 mph in a 55 or 60... I not sure if having a loaded rifle on the front seat helped! I guess being in uniform of state corrections officer didn't. Things are a tad different up here in Canada. I can have the rifles with me, but they prefer them to be out of sight, (rear window gun racks aren't legal anymore unless they hold yer fishin pole). If your gun is loaded in the truck, I hope you like handcuffs... :elkgrin:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I would wonder too...did someone in the family make him mad in the passed..always funny how different shops can find some wrong,even with new parts...:coffeedrink:

As far as I know, nobody else deals with the fellow at all. I guess he was just in a fussy mood. The new inspector operates out of a more "country" shop. Plus he REALLY wants my 69 F100...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Well, the big day came yesterday. The Dodge finally got it's Canadian citizenship! No more worries about legality of insurance etc. It's funny how thefirst truck I imported was so simple and took 2 days and $0 to get through. Because of an uncooperative inspector, this one took 3 weeks and around $1000. That is all water under the bridge though. Time to start enjoying the truck. In the long run, the truck is worth a few thousand more than what I have into it so it was worthwhile to do the import. Time to start working on some bolt on goodies!:sombrero:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I went to the parts store today and bought a giant Fram filter... The infamous BHAF! (Big honkin air filter for you non Cummins guys). Any of you guys with Dodges running this mod? If so, what are your thoughts on it's effect on egt's? I would assume the extra air flow would decrease egt, but don't yet have a pyro to test my theory... Any input?

Be carefull with your choice of air filter; some higher flow filters compromise their actual filtration of dust. You'll get better EGT's if you open up the exhaust; depending on your local regulations. I straight piped my stock 3" exhaust without much $ or increase in decibels. Really increases the HP, MPG and turbo spools much easier.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Bhaf...

Here in Iraq I see all the civilian contractor guys running something called a "TopSpin" as a prefilter for their semi's....Anyone know anything about these? As much dust and crud as they see going up and down the road...Would the one's they use work on a 3/4-1ton dodge...uh, no. But something akin to a snorkel and one of these may be good? Just a thought...

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I have a 4" straight pipe already. The filter I bought is used by hundreds of guys on the various diesel specific forums. I believe the filter is from either a loader, excavator or other earthmover. The filtration is said to be superb.

The "topspinner" sounds to me like the centrifical pre-filter found on Cat backhoes etc. They are great for extending the life of the regular paper filter element in heavy dust areas. You just spin off a nut and bang the dust out of the bowl under the venturi. I have seen 3/4" of stuff acumulate in an 8 hour shift. 1speed did a snorkel on his Dodge that may have a spinner...

chasespeed

Explorer
The BHAF is a Donaldson filter. Had one on my 7.3..... EGTs did go down, but, I dont remember how much...its a paper filter, from a semi or dumptruck, I dont remember which. great filtration, with a ton of surface area.

I am right now, running an AFE ProGuard 7. No mess anywhere in my intake tract...

Only thing I learned with the BHAF, keep at least one extra in the truck, just in case you get it wet.... with it laying on the fender, and playing in a mudhole, or fording a creek, etc... VERY easy....

UMP, and several others make a housing for that filter, in the case of our rams, bolts in place... Worth looking into....

And the Top Spin, is a prefilter, by Donaldson, we have one on our BackHoe, and our triaxle dump, along with crane, and few other things...

My 2 cents

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
The Donaldson filter crosses part numbers with about ten different brands. All the same filter. The one I bought was a Fram. Lists at $90 so it is the premium one. I paid $46:sombrero:. I here guys are getting a huge amount of miles out of them before the filter minder shows any real pressure.

Thanks for the .02 Chase, I was hoping someone would know about EGT drop... Any thoughts on a decent but affordable pyrometer? There are about 500 on ebay, but don't know which is the best one for a 12 valve.

chasespeed

Explorer
So far, I have run most if not all the "top shelf" brands...

Currently, I am running DiPricol, and I am VERY happy. Fast response, easy to read.

The AutoMeter I had, was getting slow to react, whether that was due to the thermocouple being bad, or, the gauge going bad(inclinced to think it was the t-couple.)

Oh, and the DiPricol, was available with a black face, with the green numbers to match the Dodge dash....(not a fan of a lot of different color lights at night)....

Its all up to you....

I have been toying with making a case for one of those filters... something simple.... I would rather have that, (BHAF in a case), than this AFE. I am happy with the AFE.... but, I only have a heat sheild. I am constantly concerned about submarining my engine.

Chase

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
How does the bhaf attach to the stock inlet tube? Does it just slide in or over and get re-clamped? I need the truck today a don't want to pull it all out and find I need a part... I am thinking about a cradle for the bhaf too. Maybe a piece of ten inch water pipe cut to an appropriate shape with lots of holes in it to allow air passage??? I'll get some pics up if I make something like that. Do you know if the "outerwear" that vulcan performance sells is waterproof or resistant? I think I gotta get gauges soon!

chasespeed

Explorer
A small piece of 3" (IIRC) exhaust pipe, slides into the filter, and another into the intake pipe for the best seal. the pipe only needs to be big enough to provide a good sealing surface for the intake hose, and the filter.

As far as a cradle, get a big radiator clamp, that'll fit around the filter, and start with that, use your imagination, you should be able to find something to mount a tab onto, that you can use the clamp on.

Chase

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My fab skills are up to the task I think! The inlet on the bhaf is 4", so I guess that is the ticket. Thanks for the sleeve info... I won't take anything apart until I am sure I have a piece on hand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC