At last, A 12 valve sits in my driveway!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I picked up a canopy/topper whatever you wanna call it last night. Cab height with no side windows, but in as new condition. The seller wanted $400 but I got it for $150. Now I just gotta blast some paint on it! Do you think I can park my truck on the scanner at the paint store for a color match? :sombrero:
Maybe I'll just take the fuel fill door off... might be easier:).

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Well, she's all painted up now. Looks not to bad. The dolt at the paint store mixed semi-gloss, not high gloss so some clear coat might be in my future. At least it is now more or less the same color as the truck. Blue and green really don't blend well!

I'll post up some pics after the alpaca wrangling adventure tomorrow... :elkgrin:

Cody1771

Explorer
nice cant wait, i gotta get some paint mixed for my truck , got a mis matched door and fender now haha. did you spray it on yourself?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Yeah, I sprayed it. If you don't mind not having an absolutly perfect finish, Cloverdale paint has a line of industrial enamels that are cheap($50-$60/ gal), and can be color matched. I painted my 69 Ford with that and it looked fine. As I said before though, I think the high gloss would be better than the semi. I don't know that I would get a better result with automotive paint, and since all you can get now is water-base, it is doubly hard. You need different reducers etc and a proper spray booth type controled environment to use the water base. ( Or so the paint suppliers say... ). They are trying to keep people from doing their own body work for environmental reasons.

I will try to get some pics happening later. I have 2 weeks to finish about a months worth of work, so time is limited... Why am I on expo??? Must work...

Cody1771

Explorer
yeah thats fine with me, my truck has much BC pin striping, and after painting it will quickly return to that haha, can i get the name of the paint? the guys near me arnt the best for that kind of stuff... do you use compressed air? do you know if one of those electric spray guns will do a good enough job or do i need to buy a air one and rent a compressor?

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I used Cloverdale "speed enamel" from their industrial line of paints. It drys in about 5 mins! Sprays nice ( I use only air), and you will NEED a respirator or else you will kill off about 10 trillion brain cells... in the first 8 seconds!:sombrero:

The picture is not great, but you get the idea... Blue truck, blue cap...

Attachments

• IMG_0360.JPG
    IMG_0360.JPG
    858.6 KB · Views: 56

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Thanks!! My wife is not diggin the smell/sounds as it is a bit :)elkgrin:) louder than our 05 was... Where did you find that ramcharger???:drool:

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
I was going to leave the top just primer grey, but ran out of masking tape and it was ten at night, so all is blue. We also have the tent trailer to sleep in.

Cody1771

Explorer
awsome! i just took my gas door in to get matched, ordered 3 gallons of it, figure the amount of scratches, dents, scrapes, and new stuff i bolt on ill go through it sooner or later haha.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Now all you need is 12 more valves and a bigger cab.

Yeah, been there done that. Couldn't pay me to get more valves! A nice warmed over 12 valve is simply awesome! And no computer stuff. I also like a reg can so I don't have to vacuum dog hair out of the cab all the time... But, I have owned an 05 quadcab and the Cummins 600 is nice too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC