Atl-atl's Dodge Ram 2500 Regular Cab Long Bed "documentation" thread.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
lovely! id love to squeeze in a U.P trip this year, maybe if work isnt too busy around labour day i can swing an extra day or two.

ill vote for 39s or 40s on the dodge!

Atl-atl

Adventurer
I love living here but summer is tourist season and we get bombarded.
I hope to get up to the four corners region and visit Mesa Verde and some of the Anasazi ruins.

Heh, I meant sorry about the wildfires! California is a great place, I wish I could spend more time there. A while back I saw a post on instagram of this really cool looking hotel/bed and breakfast/camp spot that was right at the base of a some cliff dwellings. I cant find it now but if I do Ill let you know. Looked like an incredible place to stay if you want to visit that part of the country! Otherwise there are camp spots right on the Colorado a few minutes outside of Moab that are great. I stayed in one that was right on the shore in a bed and there was a shear cliff on the other side. It was awesome! I love that part of the country so much.

lovely! id love to squeeze in a U.P trip this year, maybe if work isnt too busy around labour day i can swing an extra day or two.

ill vote for 39s or 40s on the dodge!

I hope to get up there a bunch more this summer. Time flies though! Vote counted for the tires. :victory:

Atl-atl

Adventurer
And the updates just keep flowin' in!

I was up at 5AM and decided to crank out some of the finishing details. Cut, stain and install the floor trim. If you haven't ever tried to miter trim corners with no miter saw or even a miter box just don't, it sucks...a lot. Also when I was test fitting the trim I noticed my final piece of flooring was about 1/2" short so I had to pull apart the floor and measure/cut a new piece. Re-paint the toe-kick for the main counter area. Re-cover the fridge door face with wall material. Install the 2" wide velcro I got to cover the gap where my plastic windows have shrunk. In doing this I noticed a lot of my roof lifting hardware was coming loose so I tightened that all up. Install the new matching curtain rods I got for all four windows, which required cutting two of them down for the tiny back windows. Its friggin hot out too, 92 with a heat index of 97, lots of humidity. Oh how I miss Colorado.

Its getting so close I can almost taste it!

Here you can see the white velcro I added to make up the difference where the clear plastic has shrunk. Along the top at the center you can see that 2" is only just enough to make it work. This stuff has really shrunk, I guess it is 33 years old!

28766088625_1bee5f3e57_b.jpg

Floor trim all 'trimmed' haha and ready for stain.

28766086345_9bf4c4723d_b.jpg

And stained. Minwax 'ebony' 2718 is my favorite! Same stuff I used on the vertical wood.

28688885451_eae340766f_b.jpg

Taped off the floor and spray painted the toe-kick back to black.

28766086665_475fe36013_b.jpg

Interior daylight shot of the rear door that I finished yesterday.

28483810730_488b9b3996_b.jpg

New ice box 'face' no pics during the process. It was fairly simple to remove the door, take out the laminate, recover and reinstall everything.

28483810870_0bd4d8f000_b.jpg

BAM! Curtain rods installed.

28737555186_4af7e4fe61_b.jpg

28151478754_50e6437995_b.jpg

28154035793_a31211b037_b.jpg

Also I have been working on the curtains. My mom started sewing them but took off and left me to finish. The big window is done, the other three windows are about halfway done. I installed the big window curtain and Im not sure if the color is really what I want. I'm going to finish sewing the other windows and put them all in there before I make up my mind. Its a lot of work to do if Im unsure but I don't really have another choice. You guys don't get to see until they're done though! :p

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Finished sewing the curtains this morning. Some of them turned out better than others hahaha. I decided to throw some pillows I had laying around the house inside the camper to give it more of a finished look. Im trying to convince my overworked and exhausted fiancé that camping at Road America and watching IMSA racing this weekend is a great way to relax! The plan is definitely for 'worthy' pillows, a throw and matching bedding but that will take some time to find.

28707963581_2645d7e63a_b.jpg

28753439916_dfe228a706_b.jpg

I think I like the curtain color. I cant decide. Its not very camper-y which is what I was going for but maybe it needs to be a little more camper-y? :confused:

28707961321_fe698cd761_b.jpg

This is the somewhat permanent, unofficial end of the major parts of my remodel. The remaining list is getting shorter by the day thankfully because one of these days Ill get a job again and I wont have all this time.

-Counter tops + reinstall table
-Backsplash
-Small under seat supports for the long bench
-Corner trim for the walls
-Some kind of cool light fixture for the center of the ceiling.
-Update lights around the inside

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Welp. The leak got bad enough that the tire was going nearly flat in 24 hours. So I had no choice but to plug it and now I guess Ill be seriously shopping for tires.

28524748400_19fee70695_b.jpg

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Well I have a pretty terrible update. The truck and camper are listed for sale. Ive had so many major changes in life over the last 3 months and I sat down with my fiance to talk about what our next two years is realistically going to be like. The short of it is no more time for camping and I definitely cant be driving a regular cab full size truck. Ive only got them listed on craigslist in Chicago right now. Ill probably get them listed on here today. I am not currently working and would be willing to meet people within a reasonable distance of Chicago with the camper but only for a serious deal.

MichGoBlue

Sorry to hear you are having to sell. I just bought a 1987 Four Seasons Magnum and can't find any info on it. Any chance you can point me to some related resources? Also you say in your ad its wood and aluminum - can you expand more on the build? I need to do some repairs and would like to know what I am getting into.

Thanks for sharing your build!

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Are you interested in selling the truck separate? Shoot me a pm if so when you get a chance.

Yes the truck is for sale also. Ill PM you but here is the CL ad.

Sorry to hear you are having to sell. I just bought a 1987 Four Seasons Magnum and can't find any info on it. Any chance you can point me to some related resources? Also you say in your ad its wood and aluminum - can you expand more on the build? I need to do some repairs and would like to know what I am getting into.

Thanks for sharing your build!

I never really found any resources, unfortunately. I haven't even found info about Four Seasons prior to Lance buying them. As for the wood and aluminum. Im pretty sure its mostly wood but I haven't taken apart too much of the camper. I say aluminum because things like window frames, the box for the propane, the rear door and some other misc. things are aluminum. I do not think its a full aluminum frame the way an FWC or ATC is.

Bushcoat

one trail at a time
pm sent.

really, really, really interesting in the camper. perfect time for a little road trip too.

Last edited:

Atl-atl

Adventurer
pm sent.

really, really, really interesting in the camper. perfect time for a little road trip too.

PM Replied.

Quite a lot of interest has been generated in the camper and the truck. Anyone that might be interested should make a move.

Atl-atl

Adventurer
Well, the camper is gone so why not start a new project already haha. Its been really hard to find an 8ft white 3rd gen dodge topper, for any price, but today I found a black 2nd gen long bed topper for $100 on craiglist so I jumped on it. It doesnt fit perfectly but for the price and the shape it was in I couldnt say no. It only has one small crack but is otherwise in very good shape, just dirty. It has an interior light and a 3rd brake light. It also has a full carpet lining which is in really good shape. It came fully equipped with about 100 spiders and 100,000 ants! :eek: I cleaned the ******** out of it with a hose and insect killer spray, stripped it all the way down to the fiberglass and will be dropping it off to get paint matched hopefully this weekend! I move quickly hahaha. All the windows have in tact glass and all three slider windows function. Screens are in place, and the hatch struts even work!!! :D

The exterior dimensions dont quite line up. The top is not even with the cab, its about 2 inches short. The interior dimensions line up perfectly and the back window lines up with the tailgate perfectly but the exterior of the bedsides is straight on the topper and curved on my bed. It has a full 2" of contact all the way around and will seal up just fine, it just looks slightly off from the outside. It doesnt look terrible but Ill probably get sick of it. Still for $100 I couldnt say no.

29091430095_7f3d928873_b.jpg

28986418292_31133b2182_b.jpg

28986417022_c2127b28b9_b.jpg

28805003420_d0bfa9b874_b.jpg

Ratchet strap was to keep the back of it together incase it wanted to tweak when I was taking it off the truck, by myself. It looks tweaked in this picture because I have something under it to hold it up so the water from cleaning it will drain out.

29018024261_0821cc2493_b.jpg

29018021581_89745425a9_b.jpg

All stripped already!

28473686854_569317abee_b.jpg

28989871712_331e683e17_b.jpg

28808582800_c8700614b2_b.jpg

Back on the truck ready to drop off.

29018019771_cda0a51209_b.jpg

28808578590_1290900bfa_b.jpg

29018018261_c72ab2ee62_b.jpg

28808581080_7c1f780dc0_b.jpg

28473683354_aa8af971b5_b.jpg

28808579840_748bd97c45_b.jpg

29018025231_e7071276e9_b.jpg

Seabass

Idiot
You know.....you slap a cargo basket on top of that topper- and I mean one that covers pretty much the entire surface of your topper- and it'll look pretty good. It would make the shortness of the topper far less noticeable.
0beb9cc5fcef0399fa9e3a11528520ab.jpg
Here's a pic of mine- not a good one- but you get the idea. It's a Yakima Mega-Warrior with the extension. I got it CHEAP on Craigslist. But- I don't think your top looks all that bad on your truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater